Now that another school has gone down on academic fraud...

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
... it makes me wonder, is it possible to have great players and *not* have fraud or fake classes? Could you have Bama's roster without academic fraud? Is it even possible?

The true point of this is since GT has no fake classes or even "athlete friendly" majors, we might be at a more severe disadvantage than we even believed.

You can't be a Marine unless you join the Marines.

You can't be a Tech Man unless you graduate from Tech.

Nobody ever heard of a Bama Man or a UNC Man, etc.

We have a brand. And now we have an AD and a coach who understand what that means.

... it makes me wonder, is it possible to have great players and *not* have fraud or fake classes? Could you have Bama's roster without academic fraud? Is it even possible?

The true point of this is since GT has no fake classes or even "athlete friendly" majors, we might be at a more severe disadvantage than we even believed.
Brent Key and CGC are going to select the new president. Fake classes are on the way.

We have a brand. And now we have an AD and a coach who understand what that means.
So my dad, daughter, mom, uncle, and I have to leave being a GT fans now?

Whew, its as good thing CGC graduated from GT.

Whew, its as good thing CGC graduated from GT.
Ok, maybe I need to explain what I am trying to say.

TampaBayJacket points out the following:

My spin on that point is to view our disadvantage as an advantage which is to say that a degree from Tech is more valuable than a degree from Factory U. My point has nothing to do with Tech fans or any fans. I can be the best fan of Harvard football that ever was but I will never be a "Harvard Man" since I did not attend Harvard.

The discussion I thought we were having in this thread is how to reverse the negative spin our competition puts on our program by responding with the quality and benefit of a GT degree. This isn't new. But what is new is that our Coach and AD understand it better than any Coach/AD combination since Bill Curry and Homer Rice and maybe even better.

I don't know how one could take my point as an insult to our fans who didn't attend GT.

I think we have always known we operate with an inherently smaller recruiting pool than other schools. Always has been. Always will be.

However, there are more than enough true student-athletes that we can field a competitive team as long as we get our fair share of these true student-athletes. This requires innovation, hard work, and a wide net cast by our recruiters. This is what we are doing right now, and what we have not always done in the past.

The two most common errors we have made in the past are:
a) believing we have to focus our recruiting in a small geographic area
b) believing we should surrender the truly gifted athletes with high academic potential to the factories without a fight

We have to be ready to go where ever there are potential Tech Men, whether that is Georgia, Pennsylvania, Europe, or Bismark North Dakota. Anywhere. The successful schools with high academic standards recruit nationally. We have to as well. Otherwise we limit ourselves to a pool of quality athletes that is just too small to fully stock a modern team.

Once we identify our potential targets, we cannot be afraid to pursue them. We do that by building a culture that make great players want to come here, and know they have to work academically as well as physically to reach their full potential. These top athletes, if they are going to be successful at the P5 level, are not going to be afraid of work. They just want to get satisfaction during the process.

It is the losers afraid to crack a book.

tenor (2).gif

Back