Obligations for playing Ugag

Big Bubba Ray

Dodd-Like
Not advocating for canceling the annual game with the mutts, but
I am curious about what contractual obligations exist for this game. They are non-conference, so what other obligations do we have to play them every year?
Nothing from the ACC or the BOR is there?

byteback

Dodd-Like
Only way this series will end if the SEC goes to a nine game conference schedule.

I can see UGAg ending it since the even-numbered years, they would lose a 7th home game which is big bucks for any program.

Of course it will be framed as "GT requested the end of the series."

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Only obligation I see on our part is because we have a sense of pride, be as good as we proclaim we can be, are truly committed to having a first class program, give a damn about ourselves, rejoice in the misery of degenerates, beating them gives us a better chance at a better post season, beating them is more important than any other game, and because this is our home.

Sure there are other reasons but these get me excited.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
I want to keep playing them but I will say this - I swore off ever going to Athens again about 7 or 8 years ago for reasons you can figure out - nothing terrible happened but it just became an unpleasant experience and the last time I went we almost won - the game itself was fine. After yesterday, I am ready to swear off the Dawg game in Atlanta. I don't mind being in a game where in the minority but something about their fan base is just sickening to me. Clemson wins and brings a lot of fans and yet their fan base is pleasant. Losing big hurts, but I'll go see us get blown out be Clemson - UGA blowout or not I just am getting where don't want to go. Two years may help but it's going to have to get better for me to go to another UGA game. Not whining, just reality.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
They are on the schedule through 2037 as of now. Cancelling a rivalry game like that is suicidal, so good that you are "not advocating for it".

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
The only obligation we have to UGA is to beat them, oh, and to show up to the damn game and quit whining about the mean old Georgie fans that invade BDS every other year and make for an unpleasant experience. The f’ck is that?

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
The occasional wins are SO sweet, they make the beatdowns in between totally worth it.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
The only obligation we have to UGA is to beat them, oh, and to show up to the damn game and quit whining about the mean old Georgie fans that invade BDS every other year and make for an unpleasant experience. The f’ck is that?
Did u sit through that crap yesterday? If u did and enjoyed it, you are a masochist.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
LSU dropped Tulane 10 years ago because Tulane refused to play every game in Baton Rouge. This is the only similar situation I am aware of.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
Did u sit through that crap yesterday? If u did and enjoyed it, you are a masochist.
I've sat through plenty of COFH, at BDS and SS. I've had a fat, drunk, stupid UGA fan bark in my face in club @SS in '04 and my response damn near got me thrown out. I sat through 51-7 @SS in '02, I sat in the student section in '86 and '88 in full Tech gear -I survived. I haven't witnessed a Tech victory over UGA in person @BDS since '89 (unfortunately was not there in '99, so I'm now on a 30 year drought). Other than '01, '09, and '13, iirc, I haven't had any unpleasant experiences from fans of the other team. But I'm not going to tuck tale and turn BDS over to UGA fans. My section 'neighbors,' whom I have sat next to for over a decade sold their seats yesterday to UGA fans, I know this because I asked them how the hell they obtained tickets, 'Online,' was the response. I'm actually shocked that they sold their tickets to UGA fans.

On the flip side, I was @BDS in '83, when a 3-7 Tech team damn near beat a 8-1-1 UGA team that finished #4 that season, losing 27-24. I was in club @SS in '84 for the glorious 35-18 beatdown (35-6 in the 3Q) of UGA, where my 19 year old exuberance probably pissed off more than a few of those sitting around me, and '90, I was there for that.

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
From 2013-2017, the average attendance @BDS was 48K. I know that figure is representative of tickets sold and not actual attendance, so drop that average down from 48K to 45K, or even 40K. Capacity at BDS is 55K.

So say GT averages 40K in a 55K seat stadium, a little less than 3/4 capacity, so how in the hell are UGA fans making up what appears to be 1/2 of fans in attendance for COFH?

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
From 2013-2017, the average attendance @BDS was 48K. I know that figure is representative of tickets sold and not actual attendance, so drop that average down from 48K to 45K, or even 40K. Capacity at BDS is 55K.

So say GT averages 40K in a 55K seat stadium, a little less than 3/4 capacity, so how in the hell are UGA fans making up what appears to be 1/2 of fans in attendance for COFH?
Lots don’t want to deal with the ööööhead dwags. They absolutely sell their tickets to them. Same thing happened when they played at ND. That’s Notre Dame. GT has pissed on football so much over the years their base has grown huge. It is nothing like Bama/Auburn, Clemson/SC, or Florida/FSU. We are Vandy.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
I want to keep playing them but I will say this - I swore off ever going to Athens again about 7 or 8 years ago for reasons you can figure out - nothing terrible happened but it just became an unpleasant experience and the last time I went we almost won - the game itself was fine. After yesterday, I am ready to swear off the Dawg game in Atlanta. I don't mind being in a game where in the minority but something about their fan base is just sickening to me. Clemson wins and brings a lot of fans and yet their fan base is pleasant. Losing big hurts, but I'll go see us get blown out be Clemson - UGA blowout or not I just am getting where don't want to go. Two years may help but it's going to have to get better for me to go to another UGA game. Not whining, just reality.
Interesting. I personally hate the uga @ GT game in Atlanta but have never had a negative experience in Athens. I have found that the game in Atlanta attracts the worst of the worst uga fans and they’re vile. Similar to the Miami game in Atlanta.