Odd game....

Sports Forum West

Varsity Lurker
That was an odd game. I have to say TECH's O-Line is going to be excellent. BYU's pass rush was weak much of the night. There were some holds and take-downs never called, not sure why as the officiating crew wasn't too bad. It was their first game too and they looked a little winded as well. There were four O-Line take downs (tackles/hold) in the 4th quarter alone and not one was called, but the fact is, the TECH O-Line is good, tired but good.

Reggie is the real deal and although he didn't lead TECH to a single TD, he is going to be a great one. I think we have a gamer there. Smith is a fine receiver but Reggie needs some others to step up to the bar and grab some balls. BYU's corners were giving Reggie miles in the flats. Wisely he wasn't biting because I think he might have been set up for pics. He read the defense well most of the night. He has real nice wheels.

Fumbles fumbles funbles... I thought I was watching BYU's receivers from last year. They had a similar problem, losing the ball after being hit. They'll get over that... they better.

BYU's defense... It was odd, i think they really held off a lot of things they've been practicing. They did not play any bump and run tonight on the flanks and that was expected. I think they really held some things back and only showed what they needed to do to contain TECH's offense. They played a deep 5 setup much of the night and did not look a lot like the typical 3-3-5 Bronco used at UNM. I think this was because BYU plays USC next week and really wanted to hold onto a lot of the close box and bump packages if he didn't need them, and he didn't!

TECH played hard, but wasn't all that effective on the ground. I think they will be a lot better against Auburn as that line now has a game under it's belt and Auburn will throw a more conventional front at them. BYU's special teams will get a lot better. Tech's looked good except for one run-back. Hey, he also returned a block for a TD so what the heck... he's a hero and a goat... that's the nature of the game!

BYU didn't play very well much of the night, and TECH played pretty good defense considering they held BYU to 373 yards. I think that is an accomplishment. TECH was in this game until the end. Ultimately the deeper team probably won.

Go JACKETS and defeat Auburn.

I liked your rb who started tonight. I really felt like BYU could have run the ball all night and run up the score. I do realize that Whalen was injured tonight and I know he is a good one.

You guys have a studd TE too. I hated it when he grabbed for his knee. I don't mind seeing one of the enemies' guys going down. But, you grab for a knee and my heart breaks. I hope he will be o.k.

The game was not at all like I expected. I figured you guys would run all night and blitz like crazy. I thought it would all come down to Ball's reading blitzes but nothing of the sort happened. (Sounds like he was not even given authority to make reads). I knew we did not have a good rb, but I expected our offensive line to get us 3 to 4 yards a pop and make it hinge on 3rd and shorts.

Congradulations on the win though.

Word is the TE is ok, Whalen might have a broken foot, wierd injury in warmups... but it's a rumor so who knows (LOL)... I agree that the DLine may need some beef and soon. Does Chan have any OT's he can move over to add depth on first downs. Auburn will push them around if not. The linebackers are good at persuit but not great hitters. I don't think BYU showed us much of their real blitzing/stunting defense beyond the LB packages. Their MB Fransico got involved some, but BYU laid way off the ball in the secondary and I suspect that was intentional. Against USC we'll see them 5-6 yards closer to the line. I was impressed with Ball under pressure. TECH needed some mo and had difficulty getting it. Auburn will run and run and run... soe seven-8 in the box and make them beat you through the air. That evens out a game and turnovers make a difference. Don't give up on this team. They will need fan support for the next three. I think Auburn and Clemson are winnable because of their styles of play.

Back