Official 2013 Recruiting Thread.

supersenior

Jolly Good Fellow
Andrew Brown, a consensus top DT in the 2014 class just tweeted out his top ten schools. They are, in no particular order Ohio State, Michigan, VT, UVA, UNC, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Alabama, & GT.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Andrew Brown, a consensus top DT in the 2014 class just tweeted out his top ten schools. They are, in no particular order Ohio State, Michigan, VT, UVA, UNC, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Alabama, & GT.
Courtesy listing.

stingem103

Flats Noob
Says Mike Pelton is recruiting him. I think he will turn out to be great hire.

GoTech19

Dodd-Like
I do find it amusing that we are listed but the Mutts aren't.. That could've been a typo

GTJason

Flats Noob
I do find it amusing that we are listed but the Mutts aren't.. That could've been a typo
The guy is from VA. People in the DC area know of 2 colleges in Georgia: GT and Emory. We have sports and engineers, Emory has Doctors. I'm sure they assume there is a University of... just like every state, but they don't know anything about it...

Interesting (although not too groundbreaking) AJC article regarding recruiting the area: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-considers-change-recruiting-strategy/nWLps/

GTJackets530

Damn Good Rat
The guy is from VA. People in the DC area know of 2 colleges in Georgia: GT and Emory. We have sports and engineers, Emory has Doctors. I'm sure they assume there is a University of... just like every state, but they don't know anything about it...
People in the DC area, especially football players, don't have ESPN or follow college football then?

GTJason

Flats Noob
People in the DC area, especially football players, don't have ESPN or follow college football then?
Correct! No one here gives 2 öööös about college football. There is the NFL, College Basketball, NHL and then college football and MLS soccer are about a tie when DC United is decent. As for ESPN, at least on my cable service, most ACC games are blacked out on ESPN and broadcast on Raycom, Comcast, or Fox Sports south. It was really weird moving here after living in GA for 22 years thinking college football was life, and going to sports bars that are empty on a gameday Saturday.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Correct! No one here gives 2 öööös about college football. There is the NFL, College Basketball, NHL and then college football and MLS soccer are about a tie when DC United is decent. As for ESPN, at least on my cable service, most ACC games are blacked out on ESPN and broadcast on Raycom, Comcast, or Fox Sports south. It was really weird moving here after living in GA for 22 years thinking college football was life, and going to sports bars that are empty on a gameday Saturday.
Huh? Are you actually going out in the DC area on the Saturdays in fall? DC is essentially a melting pot of ACC and Big 10 alumni. VT, Maryland, UVA, Penn State, and OSU have huge alumni bases here. GT even has a decent amount although not nearly as many. My experience has been having to choose my bars pretty carefully on Saturday to make sure the Tech game doesn't coincide with a "viewing party" from another school so we don't get stuck with the ööööty TV in the corner and no table service.

DC folks do love their Pro-Sports teams - actually remarkably loyal considering how bad we've been overall in recent history. And since it's a big melting pot there isn't exactly a sense of fanhood with the biggest CFB presense in the area (Univ of Maryland). But there is definitely a large college football following, just like any other big city. Kind of laughable that you throw DC United in the same sentence. Almost sounds like you're talking about Maryland football specifically in your comment (since that fits in your theme of DC-area teams) b/c they really don't have a large following in the area.

GTJason

Flats Noob
Huh? Are you actually going out in the DC area on the Saturdays in fall? DC is essentially a melting pot of ACC and Big 10 alumni. VT, Maryland, UVA, Penn State, and OSU have huge alumni bases here. GT even has a decent amount although not nearly as many. My experience has been having to choose my bars pretty carefully on Saturday to make sure the Tech game doesn't coincide with a "viewing party" from another school so we don't get stuck with the ööööty TV in the corner and no table service.

DC folks do love their Pro-Sports teams - actually remarkably loyal considering how bad we've been overall in recent history. And since it's a big melting pot there isn't exactly a sense of fanhood with the biggest CFB presense in the area (Univ of Maryland). But there is definitely a large college football following, just like any other big city. Kind of laughable that you throw DC United in the same sentence. Almost sounds like you're talking about Maryland football specifically in your comment (since that fits in your theme of DC-area teams) b/c they really don't have a large following in the area.
You've negated nothing I've said, it's a 4th tier sport. There are college fans just because there are so many people, but percentage-wise it's not even close to how it is in the south east. Also the SEC love is quite low here. The people that do watch college football are tired of it. Pretty sure we are saying the same thing, I was only pointing out (in my original post) that people here don't know of, or care about UGA.

etc79

Dodd-Like
You've negated nothing I've said, it's a 4th tier sport. There are college fans just because there are so many people, but percentage-wise it's not even close to how it is in the south east. Also the SEC love is quite low here. The people that do watch college football are tired of it. Pretty sure we are saying the same thing, I was only pointing out (in my original post) that people here don't know of, or care about UGA.
Yeah, you are right. You leave the SE and college football doesnt even put a blip on most sports fans radar, much less the SEC.

On the other hand, a kid who plays football in HS and is good enough to play on any college football team? I find it hard to beleive he doesn't know what teams are top tier.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
No...I was disagreeing with your assertions that:

- "No one [in DC] gives 2 öööös about college football."
- "college football and MLS soccer are about a tie when DC United is decent."
- "going to sports bars that are empty on a gameday Saturday."

All three of which I have found to be very from the truth. A ton of people in the DC area care a lot about college football. MLS and CFB are nowhere near a tie, that's just a ridiculous statement. And I don't know what bars you're going to, but they are the wrong ones. I usually have show up at least an hour or two before kickoff just to try to lock down a decent table - even for noon games.

So in other words I negated (or atleast attempted to based on my experiences) the vast majority of your post. The only comment I agree with is that the SE takes CFB more seriously than the mid-Atlantic. And that's not exactly a revolutionary realization.

The state of Maryland (with DC included) is usually right around the Top 10/15 for producing D1 college football players. And they are usually Top 10 if you look at D1 recruits per capita. You're kidding yourself if you think the quality SE teams aren't cherry picking some of those guys. GT is probably more recognizable to the DC-area population because it's much more of an ACC town than an SEC town, but I doubt that has anything to do with a guy having GT (but not UGA) in his Top 10 choices 12 months from signing day.

GTJason

Flats Noob
No...I was disagreeing with your assertions that:

- "No one [in DC] gives 2 öööös about college football."
- "college football and MLS soccer are about a tie when DC United is decent."
- "going to sports bars that are empty on a gameday Saturday."

All three of which I have found to be very from the truth. A ton of people in the DC area care a lot about college football. MLS and CFB are nowhere near a tie, that's just a ridiculous statement. And I don't know what bars you're going to, but they are the wrong ones. I usually have show up at least an hour or two before kickoff just to try to lock down a decent table - even for noon games.

So in other words I negated (or atleast attempted to based on my experiences) the vast majority of your post. The only comment I agree with is that the SE takes CFB more seriously than the mid-Atlantic. And that's not exactly a revolutionary realization.

The state of Maryland (with DC included) is usually right around the Top 10/15 for producing D1 college football players. And they are usually Top 10 if you look at D1 recruits per capita. You're kidding yourself if you think the quality SE teams aren't cherry picking some of those guys. GT is probably more recognizable to the DC-area population because it's much more of an ACC town than an SEC town, but I doubt that has anything to do with a guy having GT (but not UGA) in his Top 10 choices 12 months from signing day.
We'll just agree to disagree, I think you're wrong you think I am. My experience with local teams is with MD, UVA, and VPI grads. Only the VPI grads know who they are playing and when their game is on. Maybe NOVA is different, I prefer going out in DC. Again an opinion. Here are some facts:

Maryland players: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f...nkings/_/view/state/order/true/state/maryland

Virginia players http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f...nkings/_/view/state/order/true/state/virginia

DC http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f.../_/view/state/order/true/state/washington-d.c.

Not much in the way of SEC recruiting. Top recruits are nationally recruited and win as many crystal balls as bama has and most kids will be interested. One thing that is interesting is how well VPI and UVA split the state of VA. Wish we could even come close to that with GA recruits...

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
We'll just agree to disagree, I think you're wrong you think I am. My experience with local teams is with MD, UVA, and VPI grads. Only the VPI grads know who they are playing and when their game is on. Maybe NOVA is different, I prefer going out in DC. Again an opinion. Here are some facts:

Maryland players: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f...nkings/_/view/state/order/true/state/maryland

Virginia players http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f...nkings/_/view/state/order/true/state/virginia

DC http://espn.go.com/college-sports/f.../_/view/state/order/true/state/washington-d.c.

Not much in the way of SEC recruiting. Top recruits are nationally recruited and win as many crystal balls as bama has and most kids will be interested. One thing that is interesting is how well VPI and UVA split the state of VA. Wish we could even come close to that with GA recruits...

Generally I think you are most accurate. The SEC means absolutely nothing up here in Maryland. VPI football gets a lot of support but it's slowly starting to wain. MD used to be pretty good. When Ross was here the bars were full of fans and generally if MD has a good year going, the fans still watch the game. But generally, MD support is TEPID at best. It will pick up when PSU comes to town and PSU has a ton of alumni here but on its own, MD is not heavily watched.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
You live in Frederick...do you really drive 50 miles (100 roundtrip) every Saturday?

The guy listed GT because we're in the ACC and had a coach contact him.

Not to mention the guy is from Chesapeake...wtf are you even talking about? Chesapeake is as close to dc as Pittsburgh. And a completely diffenet town. I doubt we beat London and Beamer for this guy but if pelton does ill be convinced that he's the best hire in a while.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Something to lift the spirits of the recruiting followers...

LB RaeJuan Marbley (Destrehan, Louisianna) 6'0" 215

- No offers yet, but is being looked at by the SE powers
- Grew up a big GT fan (not sure of the specific reason)
- Academics are a big factor

247 Analyst Sonny Shipp tweeted this a few months ago:
"Destrehan LB Rae-Juan Marbley is at the top of the charts in La for LBs in 2014. Ga Tech may be the team to beat when all is said and done."

http://247sports.com/Player/RaeJuan-Marbley-16980
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-RaeJuan-Marbley-145156
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5811639

[y]znWi7poMNF8[/y]