Official 2018 GT Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Other GT Sports' started by gtrower, Feb 28, 2018.

1. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My misery over the tournament performance by the Jackets enjoys the company of Triangle fans. They were planning for this week to be a Duke, UNC and NCSU party. Glad to see Louisville, Clemson, FSU and Pitt in the semis. I am sure these great ACC fans here will turn out big tomorrow.

2. The Gus

The Gus Banned (Temporary) Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yes it is. It is amazing how horrible the situation is and the GTAA just lets it fester. There are like 220 people with emails addresses at ramblingwreck.com - I would fire EVERYONE from Todd Stupidbury down to the towel boy for the women's volleyball team. But, that's just me - I am normal.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Wreck Em

Wreck Em Hype Queen

Loc:
    Commerce
    Team:
    GT
    Well, we can't finish less than .500
    So there's that.

4. GruffyMcGuiness

GruffyMcGuiness We Dedrick

Loc:
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Daniel Palka and Matt Skole are teammates with the White Sox for anyone who cares. Skole crushed his first homerun today.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wreck Em

Wreck Em Hype Queen

Loc:
    Commerce
    Team:
    GT
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wreck Em

Wreck Em Hype Queen

Loc:
    Commerce
    Team:
    GT
    There was nothing meaningless about it. If we won that game, we'd be still in the tournament. It's only "meaningless" to you because we lost. Also, waiting 72 hours is just how these things go dude.

I will not get into the Danny Hall debate, but if you think you know the problem, and you want us to fail, you can't consider yourself a Tech fan. It's fine to acknowledge what you think the problem is, but if you love losing/negativity, why be a Tech fan?

We aren't necessarily a powerhouse in any given sport, but we have really REALLY good moments. We were in the Orange Bowl and won it less than 4 years ago. We've beaten UGA in Sanford Stadium 2 consecutive times, and have a winning record in Athens under CPJ. Looking at the stats we shouldn't be good in any sport, but we have been, and we just have had a few rough years. But we have a huge history in all Athletics, and wishing for continued failure during a drought is just dumb. And if you think we're not as good as we could be, just look at our athletics in the late 70-early 80s.
    We've been here before as have most schools, and we'll be back.
    I hate that the season's over, but life goes on, and Tech will rise again soon. Find something positive about GT and the Athletics here, there definitely are lots of things we do well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LagrangeJacket

LagrangeJacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I’m not going to get into the rest of your post, much of which I agree with. But the game we lost was meaningless. It was our last game in the tournament, win or lose. Pitt was an elimination game.

8. Wreck Em

Wreck Em Hype Queen

Loc:
    Commerce
    Team:
    GT
    Ah. Didn't realize that. My bad.

9. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

I'm no apologist of The Gus, but truthfully Danny Hall is the thief of joy. Go read his transcripts from the ACC Tournament. Talks about how they're headed in the right direction and spins things as if 2011 wasn't the last good season. I don't root for the team to lose, but Hall will just never win consistently again, and I fully believe that.

• Like Like x 3
  10. FHstinger

FHstinger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Canton, GA
    Team:
    My two favorite teams are TECH and whoever's playing Georgia.
    As a 23 year season ticket holder of GT Baseball and a close follower of the program, I must say I totally agree. The Danny Hall era has run its course. The trend has been established. Seven years in a row now with a losing record in ACC play. Tech has missed regional post season play two years in a row now, and three of the last four years(2018, 2017, and 2015). GT has been swept by uga two years in a row.

GT Baseball has become irreverent. I'm convinced that the program will continue its downward trend until a head coaching change is made.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I am hoping we have identified a replacement for Danny Hall and are waiting to make a change after the replacement's team finishes in the NCAA tournament. If we continue on our current path, baseball is not a priority for our AD.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    It should not be a priority, but for $400k we can probably scrape up some Butterfield that can win 1 of 3 from the dwags and finish 500 in conference without much more than a shrug.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mookie43

mookie43 Flats Noob

Loc:
    The lake
    Team:
    Ga Tech
    It's Friday afternoon. Perfect time to announce a firing with all of the baseball action this weekend that we aren't in.
    Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
  14. BackstreetBuzz

BackstreetBuzz Varsity Lurker

FSU just went down in 2 games as a national seed. I cannot believe they have not gotten rid of Mike Martin, who will never be called Mr. June, before now. Unlike us, they have the money to pay him off and hire someone great.

15. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

FSU has won at least 40 games in something like 41 straight seasons. He's never won a title, which defies the odds, but there is a lot of randomness to the CWS. I want to say I read that FSU has won the most Regionals and most Super Regionals of any team. Plus, thieve won 3 of the last 4 ACC Tournaments. It's a bit odd, but Martin isn't exactly Bobby Bowdening at this point. He's doing the equivalent of finishing 11-2 and losing CFP or New Years Six bowls.

16. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    So we didn't have a chance to win the tournament at all?

17. FHstinger

FHstinger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Canton, GA
    Team:
    My two favorite teams are TECH and whoever's playing Georgia.
    Trivia question:
    Q: Who is the only coach to take his team to three straight home regionals as a #1 seed, and lose all three?
    A: Danny Hall
    2009...GT lost Atlanta Regional to Alabama
    2010...GT lost Atlanta Regional to Southern Miss
    2011....GT lost Atlanta Regional to Miss State

This is when the slide began seven years ago. GT baseball has not had a winning record in ACC play ever since.

2012...12-18 ACC...38-26 overall...lost Gainesville Regional to Florida
    2013...15-15 ACC...37-27 overall...lost Nashville Regional to Vanderbilt(defeated Vandy once with Heddinger shut-out)
    2014...14-16 ACC...37-27 overall...lost Oxford Regional to Washington(never got to play Ole Miss before elimination)
    2015...13-17 ACC...32-23 overall...no regional(lost last five games of the year)
    2016...13-16 ACC...38-25 overall...lost Gainesville Regional to Florida
    2017...11-19 ACC...27-28 overall...no regional(first overall losing record since 1981)
    2018...14-16 ACC...31-27 overall...no regional

Average ACC record in last seven years: 13-17

Average ACC tournament seed in last seven years: 9

At age 63 for Danny Hall, it's just not ever going to get any better than this, folks. The trend has been established. Unfortunately, Tech may never see the post season again until a change is made...

Note: Since the 2006 CWS appearance, Tech has never made it to a Super-Regional, and the Yellow Jackets have defeated a #1 seed in a regional game only once, that in 2013 versus Vanderbilt, as stated above.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. ContactBuzz

ContactBuzz Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jojatek
    Didn't Mike Martin match the feat this year?

19. OhioJacketFan

OhioJacketFan Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Team:
    GT
    the correct answer is 2009 Gt lost to Southern Miss
    2010 Gt lost to Bama
    2011 Gt lost to Mississippi State

20. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc: