Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by southendzoneBEE, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

Love one year deals.

2. Architorture23

Architorture23 Gentle and authentic and loving.

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Donaldson, yes! 1 year $23mil is steep but I like one year. It will be interesting to see what this does to Camargo and Dansby. Is it time to cut bait on Dans or is it time to sell high on Johan?

McCann, no. But oh well. Guess that means they did not like the market after JTR and, assumedly, Grandal and Ramos were off the table. And as I've said, I'm good with them not spending much on a catcher.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  3. 05GTCorndog

05GTCorndog Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Your mom
    Team:
    Ramblin Wreck
    If healthy, a good move. Dude has been fragile af the last two years.

4. daBuzz

daBuzz Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Woodstock, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Marlins wanted wayyyyy too much for JTR. I would have loved to have had him but not at the price of Riley and 2 top arms. This is a better deal to package McCann with Flowers for one year.
    Love the Donaldson move.

5. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

Marlins wanted acuna or albies I guarantee it. I think we would've given up Riley and a couple arms

6. RamblinWreck27

RamblinWreck27 Flats Noob

Loc:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. I imagine it could shake out a little bit like the Cubs in 2016 with Zobrist (Albies), Russell (Swanson), and Bryant (Donaldson) on the INF with Baez (Camargo) getting regular starts between the 3 spots...with Swanson's Offense still catching up to his D, Albies 2nd half swoon, and Donalson's recent injury history Camargo is a perfect safety net.

7. daBuzz

daBuzz Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Woodstock, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Two very good friends of mine are part of the Braves scouting organization. According to them, we might have given up Riley and MAYBE one good arm but the thought within the organization is that Riley looks like he might be a 25-30 homer per year major league player. And they didn't think the Braves would be willing to make that trade for that.

They also said he has the ability to shift to the outfield if needed. Don't be surprised if he makes the opening day roster with the Braves as an LF/3B.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Marlins said they didn't want to trade within the division, as well. Which I'm certainly fine with. I didn't like the idea of dealing them prospects and then having to face them for the next 6 years, which is more than the 2 years they'd have to face JTR.

Camargo, if he really is who he was last year, is too good to be a super utility player. And a lot of his value comes from being elite-level defensively at 3B. He is not elite-level defensively at SS.

As of right now this upgrades our bench substantially, but doesn't upgrade our starting lineup a ton (dependent on which JD we get and if its just a camargo for donaldson swap.) I'm good with it because I like Josh Donaldson (when healthy.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. jacket1515

jacket1515 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The other encouraging thing about this Donaldson move is that Liberty isn't being super tight with the purse strings, at least in the short term...

10. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    payroll probably be about $135m. after adding donaldson and mccann, $23m and $2m respectively, we should still have another $25m to spend on 2019. Maybe more if we can move some of Teheran's $11.5m and more still if the budget goes up.

11. Dirty Jacket

Dirty Jacket Something Extraordinairre

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I likes today’s moves. Low risk. If Donaldson stays healthy, seems like a big if, then it’s even better. I hope we package Dansby out but would be fine with Johan — whoever nets more, in trades for starters or relievers. Overall pleased although would have loved Machado. One year deals are awesome. Gives us a more than capable fill for 2019 til Riley is up to speed.

12. Dirty Jacket

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Time to trade for Kluber

13. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    • Like Like x 4
  14. jts1207

jts1207 Making Stingtalk Great Again

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Yellow Jackets
  15. BigGTMike

BigGTMike Flats Noob

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    GT
    Well, the broadcast is going to be at a third grade level. Maybe they can build some future fans. Chip and Jeff are a couple of morons.

16. RamblinWreck27

RamblinWreck27 Flats Noob

Loc:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Losing Joe and Paul in the same week is really going to deplete my "listening to a baby-boomer curmudgeon get salty in defense of my favorite team" quota. Sad day. I guess the silver lining would be we now have the possibility of Jim Powell taking a day off from the radio and then there would be no one around to stop Joe and Don from getting blitzed on boxed wine, going rouge, and delivering delicious sound bites. Fingers crossed.

17. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

18. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I would have given anything to have Chip leave and go to Fox or MLB network and yuk it up with Joe Buck or Eric Karros. Simpson is pretty good, but he is totally against analytics and does have a tough time adjusting to the way things are these days. But, I would take him and Jeff in the booth way before Chip and Jeff.

This would be awesome.

19. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Just awful. They got in the wrong way. Should be Simpson and joe. Jeff and chip are clowns and will be annoying af together. Joe got the short end of the stick.

Edit

Simpson and jeff

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Dirty Jacket

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I know it’s not a big deal but it is when you’re stuck listening to the buffoonery that has been Joe Simpson and Chip caray. Jeff Francoeur has been nothing short of absolutely awesome when he’s been an analyst for the Braves. I feared that if his role wasn’t expanded he’d get signed with the MLB network. I think he’s exceptional. Good riddance to Joe. Chip is next.

• Like Like x 1