Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by southendzoneBEE, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Architorture23

Architorture23 Gentle and authentic and loving.

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I don't really think Jeff is awesome... he's still pretty averse to any new analytics. I mean, last year he said that homeruns are rally killers and sometimes it'd be better not to hit HRs. That's next level stupidity.

However, he's a positive and energetic guy and he has fun stories so I much prefer him to Joe. Plus, I think he'll be less curmudgeonly when not paired up with Crabby Joe.

2. G776T

G776T Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jackets
    Getting the Phillies pitching coach?

3. jacket1515

jacket1515 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Sounds kinky.

4. RamblinWreck27

RamblinWreck27 Flats Noob

Loc:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  5. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    i believe so.

I think Kapler mismanaged the pitching staff, whereas the pitching coach worked with some pretty bad pitchers. Not mad at this move. He has also worked with some bad staffs in the past. We will see how it goes.

6. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech

7. VolJacket

VolJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech-Tennessee
  8. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Unlikely. Not worth the cost. I would rather blow the bank for Kluber or a comparable starter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  10. DressHerInWhiteAndGold

DressHerInWhiteAndGold Not an alt-font

Loc:
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He's also had a 2.47 ERA since he left Atlanta.

• Like Like x 1
  11. VolJacket

VolJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech-Tennessee
  12. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    ......news is super slow across baseball. Teams have learned to wait out the market on the middle tier players as their prices may come way down as ST approaches. Everyone seems to agree that the Braves need (1) corner OF (2) front-line starter (3) relief pitching....just waiting for those dominoes to fall. Ultimately the Braves will have to trade some minor league arms at some point, as they simply will not be able to find enough innings for everyone. The rotation in Gwinnett is going to be BONKERS to start the year!!

14. Dirty Jacket

Dirty Jacket Something Extraordinairre

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I’m holding out hope that we’re going to make a play for Kluber. Without a front line starter and some improvements to the bullpen, I’m not sure we finish higher than 2nd or 3rd in the much upgraded east.

15. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Since it's been a slow new year in Braves news, let's take a look at the roster and see what we need to do before the season starts. Remember this time last season I couldn't even find 25 MLB ready players to put a post-spring projection up. A little different situation this season, as everyday players are looking at bench positions. The depth ends after the pool of starting pitching prospects, but certainly better off right now than we were last january.

C
    Brian McCann
    Tyler Flowers
    -I like this combination, but we will miss Kurt's power. Can Brian hit 15-20? Probably won't get the PA's to do it but if he was on pace for it HR/PA wise that would be a nice clip. If Flowers can keep just getting on-base and playing good defense we should see this same combo all season.

1B
    Freddie Freeman

2B
    Ozzie Albies

3B
    Josh Donaldson
    Johan Camargo
    -Johan is an obvious fit for the first utility spot and could be an option for LF if Duvall gets traded or sucks. Even if Johan stayed as a utility player all year I see him still getting 400-450 PA's. But look for him to take over a starting spot eventually, whether it be due to injury or performance. Johan will be a big part of the team. Just right now he doesn't fit into the "starting 8".

SS
    Dansby Swanson
    Charlie Culberson

OF
    Ronald Acuna Jr.
    Ender Inciarte
    Adam Duvall
    Ryan LaMarre
    -LaMarre is our only MLB ready option for a fourth outfielder as the roster stands. Pache, Demeritte, and Pedro Florimon Jr. were also on my radar for the last offensive bench player. This needs to change and probably will.

SP
    Mike Foltynewicz
    Kevin Gausman
    Sean Newcomb
    Julio Teheran
    Mike Soroka
    -Fried, Allard, Gohara, Wright, and Wilson all involved in this conversation as well. We should sign or trade for a big name SP to solidify the rotation and move some of those young arms before their trade value wears off.

RP
    Arodys Vizcaino
    AJ Minter
    Darren O'Day
    Jonny Venters
    Dan Winkler
    Jesse Biddle
    Sam Freeman
    Shane Carle
    -The five names I mentioned in the SP section could be fighting for bullpen spots as well. Also Sobotka and Luke Jackson can be considered. There are plenty of upgrades available on the market. Go get one.

I also just noticed we have a spot open on the 40 man so obviously room

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simplified-

Lineup
    RF Acuna Jr.
    2B Albies
    1B Freeman
    3B Donaldson
    C Flowers
    CF Inciarte
    LF Duvall
    SS Swanson

Bench
    C McCann
    OF LaMarre
    IF/OF Culberson
    3B/SS Camargo

Rotation
    Foltynewicz
    Gausman
    Newcomb
    Teheran
    Soroka

Bullpen
    CP Vizcaino
    Freeman
    Carle
    Biddle
    Minter
    O'Day
    Winkler
    Venters

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  16. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think Sabotka has earned a roster spot. And, if nothing else, I think we'll just sign Kakes back to play RF for another year.

17. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think we should go a different direction. I doubt we do it but I like Avisail Garcia.

18. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Most fans wont like it...but I'm ok with rolling Duvall out there on opening day if nothing materializes. My obvious preference would be at a minimum to sign a veteran on a short 1yr deal (Markakis maybe) to platoon with Duvall. What I really do not want to do is overpay in a trade using prospect capital or get locked into a middling FA player for too long and too much money.

In regards to our pursuit of an Ace...there are none in the FA market. If we are going to trade for an Ace, then I would rather trade a lot away for a bonafide Ace (a la the Chris Sale trade), rather than trade away slightly less for a fringe Ace who in reality turns out to be a #2-3 starter. If we are going to do that, then I would prefer we just wait on the prospects to come up and see what we have.

• Like Like x 3
  19. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I agree to a lot of that but we definitely need to get another outfielder. There are plenty of 1-yr options on the market.

20. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Duvall is a hard no for me. Kakes is definitely not what I want, either, but is much preferable to Duvall. This should have been an easy one for this offseason, imo. I like the Donaldson move but if it hampers us from going after a multi-year corner OF, it's not quite as nice.

I'm on the fence about a SP. Even if we don't get a "bona-fide ace," a #2 is extremely valuable, especially because I think Folty has ace potential. Two #2's is still a good thing to have. However, I like all of our pitching talent and am ok with letting that picture unfold as to who is really legit down there for one more year. At a certain point, somebody has to go because they can't all pitch for us and I want us to maximize value. But max value isn't there for a few of them right now (Gohara and Soroka particularly.)

My other issue with the Donaldson signing is that should not be the "only" move of the offseason. He isn't enough to change the Braves outcome by himself. Especially not since Camargo played an above average 3B. He makes us better, don't get me wrong, but we're still not a serious WS contender, I don't think. And if we only have him for one year then it's basically a wasted $23 million.