Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by southendzoneBEE, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    I honestly think we, like everyone else, are waiting out the market. Last year FA prices came way down right before spring training. Hopefully we get a quality player at our price.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Grandal just signed a 1 year contract...so the Braves may be able to find what they need in FA on favorable terms. I’m stunned that he couldn’t get a multi year deal worth big money.

3. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Against the Braves, I was dead set on getting Grandal. This guy could do no wrong. However, the rest of the playoffs, it was as if he fell off the face of the Earth. Well, I don't have stats right in front of me, but it seemed like he was bad all around - fielding mostly. I guess this is was what scared people off, because I felt like he was going to get a pretty huge deal, regardless.

4. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Carter Stewart lost his grievance against Atlanta, so we will have the #9 pick next draft as compensation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We were linked to Marwin Gonzalez yesterday. I would love that move and would solidify our outfield. If Gonzalez's bat doesn't pan out he is still very versatile and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Architorture23

Architorture23 Gentle and authentic and loving.

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Marwin is a valuable player but mostly for his versatility. He's an outfield- capable Johan Camargo with about 80% of the hit tool. Does have some pop. Switch hitter and hits lefties just slightly better, which is good but not an obvious candidate for a platoon with, say, Duvall.

He's a nice piece and would give us an even more extraordinary defensive OF. But he is nowhere near what I hoped the Braves would do this offseason.

7. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    I want the AJ Pollock a this point (I suspect that Harper is out of the question). If not, then I would be happy with Marwin but only at a discount or on a short deal. He is just not enough of an upgrade to break the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GBurdell

GBurdell Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Rock Ridge
    Team:
    ga tech

• Like Like x 3
  9. FifthyrSenior

FifthyrSenior Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
  10. ContactBuzz

ContactBuzz Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jojatek
    Can Camargo DH for him?

11. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss. FFFFfffffFFfffff!!!!!!

AA doesn't seem like the kind of guy to fall in love with his prospects too much, but I do know not being able to sign any/many international guys for the next few years is making him really stingy with draft picks, so I assume he is keeping all of our pitching prospects because we may not be able to replace them easily for a few years.

12. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

I didn't want to sign Kakes as a free agent because I figured his salary would increase, but if this is correct he's taking a significant pay decrease. From 11M to 6M. I'll take that.

13. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    FWIW, it's 1 yr 4M. 2nd year option worth 6M.

14. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    who cares what he's going to make? do you want to win a championship? do you think 35-36 y.o. Nick Markakis is the RF on a championship team? No. And I'd bet decent money he won't come close to his value totals from 2018.

This is a massive missed opportunity, unless we're just not done yet and Neck is going to a bench bat. But who are we kidding here? He played all 162 games last year despite absolutely sucking in the 2nd half. Snit will play him at least 150 if he's available.

These guys were all out there this offseason with varying degrees of availability. We had money to spend and all of the prospect capital in the world to trade:
    Haniger, Peralta, Marte, Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley, Joey Gallo, Dickerson, Andrew McCutchen. They're not perfect but they're much better than Neck.
    with a $2 million buyout so $6 guaranteed.

15. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

We aren't done

16. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Ugggg....not what I wanted to see. The grass is not always greener, so maybe it works out fine. We need to give him a day off per week and try to keep him from breaking down like he did last season.

17. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We are not going to upgrade the most easily upgradeable position on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  18. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Pollock to the Dodgers, 4 yr. 55 mil.

19. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    iiwii. That is really a longer deal than I would have wanted, but seems like a fair price for the type of player he can be if healthy.

Markakis is our fallback option...my biggest concern with the Markakis signing is that if we truly feel that this is the start of our window for title contention then we failed to address one of the biggest team needs with anything more than a replacement level player. Signing Kakes to me signals that we feel our pitchers need to develop a bit more and as an organization we think our true window may not actually starts in 2020...or we are just flat cheap.

At some point this team will need to make a splash, and I feel that most likely takes the form of trading away some of our high-minor prospect capital. There is a void in the Brave's system, but its in the low minors....we have a whole slew of players (pitchers specifically) knocking on the door in dub-A and up.

20. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    good AAV but a year longer than most were offering, probably.

there was a deal that was "70% done" last week, most likely a trade. But we don;t know who it was for or who was involved from us. AA not talking because he said it's still in the works.

Gotta wonder if this Pollock deal was that deal and the Dodgers felt good about giving him an extra year or two. Once it became obvious, we pivoted back to Kakes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019