Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by southendzoneBEE, Oct 10, 2018.

1. G776T

G776T Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jackets
    Pretty sure they've already said Riley will be playing a lot of left field in Gwinnett to start the year.

2. Architorture23

Architorture23 Gentle and authentic and loving.

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    yeah that's the idea. Riley will be in Spring Training and probably playing mostly LF.

But the Braves had four real areas of potential improvement from last year: Catcher, corner OF, bullpen, and bench. So far we are worse at catcher and worse in the corner OF. We are slightly better in the 'pen because of Darren O'Day. The only spot we got noticeably better is on the bench because of moving Camargo into a super ute role.

3. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

Bryse Wilson, a guy who pitched in the majors for us last year, will probably start the season at AA mississippi. That AA team will have a better 5 man rotation than most teams' AAA squads. We need to move some of these guys

• Like Like x 2
  4. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Really need to wait until the season starts to judge the offseason. One frustration is the reluctance of Liberty Media to increase payroll. I get the impression that we are being forced to shop in the bargain bin and that is partially why nothing has happened.

One benefit of the FA market being ice cold is that I anticipate we will get a veteran or two on short contracts between now and the reg season. Those are super low risk for the Bravos.

Also, I would like to see Teheran moved to give that spot to one of the AAA kids. Just someone taking on his payroll outside of the NL East would be compensation enough at this point.

5. jacket1515

jacket1515 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    They shouldn't have brought Allard up last year...but to say his value is nothing is not correct. Go look at his minor league stats. He's only entering his age 21 season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jacket1515

jacket1515 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We're worse in the corner OF by having essentially the same personnel as we ended the season with? How's that work?

7. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He also said there is no way markakis gets passed the first half season of his last contract

8. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You think Kakes will be as good in 19 as he was in 18? Just age regression alone says he won't be, ignoring that 18 was basically a career year at age 34.

9. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Link?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  10. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'm just messing with you though I do thought you said that.

The OF is improved because of Acuna, otherwise it is the same as last season's opening day that had Preston Tucker I think

11. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    He will be worse, but Acuna should be better plus we would have him for the whole season. I would argue OF is flat YoY.

12. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Doubt Acuna will be much better in WAR per 600 PAs, but yes, he will be up for the whole year so that will help. Ender is a year older and most of his value is from his defense. Can't help but think Kakes will be worse and possibly by a good bit. But even if the OF is the same, is that good enough when it could have been a good bit better?
    If I did it was wishful thinking. :biggergrin:

13. Dirty Jacket

Dirty Jacket Something Extraordinairre

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Markakis sucks balls? Markakis had an uncharacteristic hot start to last year and crashed down to earth? Assuming the normal crashed down to earth Markakis is our LF this year —-that’s how.

14. Dirty Jacket

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The reality is we did not improve our corner OF and our C position got worse by trading Suzuki and McCann. Flowers isn’t good. Our biggest concern area, in my opinion, was the bullpen which st least objectively today is marginally improved if at all. The bullpen arms are unpredictable and they may be amazing this year but I carry heavy pessimism into 2019 with this team. Donaldson was a cute signing but 3B was a strength that was modestly improved offensively if JD stays healthy. Hopefully the young arms show up this year a couple guys take a step forward. I think if Teheran starts hot we should look to trade him if possible.

15. Architorture23

Loc:
    Sec 111
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Flowers is a very good framer (top 3 I think) amd gets on base a lot especially against lefties. He's actually a pretty valuable player, imo.

We should look to trade Teheran in spring training when someone somewhere gets hurt.

16. southendzoneBEE

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Lol.

17. Dirty Jacket

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I’ll disagree on Tyler’s value. My expectations for this offseason and reality are far apart, my own fault. And I acknowledge that AA (I think) is a good GM and knows what he is doing. So I’m not giving up on this season but on paper I don’t see how we finish better than 3rd in the NLE, and that is banking on the Mets to do Mets öööö and finish fourth. I’ll also acknowledge that I didn’t think we’d compete this time last year and we more than did. But seriously. We were excited about money coming off the books and we resigned Markakis.

18. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    A few points of interest in the posts above:

1) Teheran is well past getting something good in return for his trade. I don't really care how good he does in the first part of the season.

2) Donaldson is a significant improvement at 3rd IF he can stay healthy. Ask me if I believe that is possible. However, his signing allowed us to have a better bat on the bench and not someone like Bonafacio or O'Flaherty.

3) Tyler is the better defensive catcher and framer than Suzuki as Architorture stated, and I have yet to believe that Suzuki would maintain his batting, so I am very sure that the Braves made the right choice, though I wished he didn't go to the Nats.

4) Kakes is acceptable, as long as he is an average hitter and at a reduced pay rate. He ended the season as one of the worst hitters in all of baseball, after starting one of the best. He was a double-play king in the second half, and I hope they move him to the bottom of the order. His fielding is less than average, as well, so I hope we do get some platoons involved.

I hope the Braves do well this year, but I really can't see them doing much better than 80 wins. I just feel they had a strong showing in the East last year, that it won't be there this year, and we haven't made enough moves to counteract what our competition has done. For the record, I predicted 75-80 wins last year, so we know how that went.

19. G776T

G776T Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jackets
    Dude just won a gold glove

20. Dhatura

Dhatura Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    ?
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Kakes does well when it is a ball he can get to, I am not denying that. The problem is, his range is incredibly diminished and he has the arm of a wet noodle. Not really his fault, as he is much older, and I may be putting him up against unfair comparisions to fielders with range as Acuna and Inciarte. But I stand firm on my assessment of his fielding. With all that said, I am glad he is back, so don't think that I am not. I am much more happy with him at a $4 million contract than his previous contract.