Official ACC Tourney Games Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by coit, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Well, that was a dismal season. There is no good reason to have a losing overall record. I hope we make some big improvements before next season. We could never figure out our rotation. In 9 games our leading scorer was either Gueye, Alston, Cole or Haywood. By the end of the year they were not getting a lot of minutes in the rotation. Alston got a little time today and I guess Gueye is hurt. Cole and Haywood are buried on the bench. We can't go into next year losing Ogbanda, Gueye, and Alston and adding Usher and the other JUCO guy and try to play ten or eleven players.

Today's starting five of Alvarado, Devoe, Banks, Moore and Wright needs to be the starting five. I think Cole, Usher, Sjolund and either Phillips or Haywood should get playing time. Others need to transfer or be happy to be practice players. As for that group of five, Alvarado needs to work on his shot. He is not a good ACC point guard, but he is a gritty kid and he's the best we've got. Devoe must get in a summer program where he learns to play fast. No one can handle a basketball at 100% speed, but he goes way too slow. His skills are there, but until he gets up to big time college speed he will not be effective. Wright is making amazing progress, just keep it up and get better. Moore has to get better as a shooter, both from three, mid-range, and around the hole. Today as we came back ND left him wide open for threes and he missed three until he bit a big one. He was 2 of 9 in ACC games from 3 in the regular season. Get that percentage into the mid-thirties and he will help us. Banks is a good player, and clearly better when he is the single post player. Gueye out of the lineup gives him room and he plays much better. He just needs to get even stronger.

I don't see this as a great team next year, but they could improve. Figuring out your lineup, defining everyone's role, and players getting better will be the key. I would be happy to see a winning season and NIT bid.

2. Fredge

Fredge Flats Noob

Loc:
    Savannah
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It's next year or he's through. All 5 guys that played the 2nd half are back. Plus Usher and hopefully another transfer or a late signee

That could be a solid team. He's at least got to be on the bubble late in the year.

• Like Like x 4
  3. swampsting

swampsting Dodd-Like

Loc:
    God's Country
    Team:
    Ga Tech
    I like Pastner. I like a lot of the things he's doing.
    But I also think you're right.

4. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    Agreed. But there are several other scenarios where he could get another year. But those would be low probability.

5. Fredge

Fredge Flats Noob

Loc:
    Savannah
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I like him also. And I think player development is not nearly as bad as others on here suggest.

But we have to get close to 500 in league play next year (I think the ACC schedule goes to 20 games?) and we have to be on the bubble late into the year. Otherwise, I think TStan will have to make a move.

6. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    Why in the world do you guys like Pastner? He's embarrassed the program with the whole Bell thing, he hasn't recruited worth a damn, he's constantly hedging and overall seems like a clown.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. gtchief

gtchief Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    I don't like his theatrics in front of the scorer's table...banging on it, flailing like a madman, etc. The Bell thing was a terrible look too. I've been ok with the rest though. We were clearly more defensive-minded this season but seeing the shooting I can see why that became the focus

8. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Well, you’ve embarrassed the program, haven’t recruited worth a damn and seem like a clown but we still like you, so there’s that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. brackam97

brackam97 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I wish we had the talent to play faster.

I can’t be mad about Pastners coaching. I think both he and Coach Rev are good teachers. And I agree with the getting old philosophy.

But he has to make some hay recruiting or we are just playing this out for the lower buyout.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fredge

Fredge Flats Noob

Loc:
    Savannah
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Probably because he's the current GT coach and I am eternally optimistic.

11. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We will definitely get older if we continue to whiff on high school players. I hope the JUCO player changes his mind since that looks like a wasted scholarship.

12. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    One of those scenarios would be him landing a couple 4 stars or 5 star players for the following year imo

• Like Like x 1
  13. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

Other than him being 20-37 vs the ACC, having more excuses than solutions, not being able to recruit and the fact that I hate him, I like Pastner too.

• Like Like x 6
  14. ElCidBUZZingFAN

ElCidBUZZingFAN Dodd-Like

Loc:
    My house
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    None.

15. Skydog

Skydog Eat a Peach

Loc:
    Canton, Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I think you give him one more year, though I never liked the hire to begin with. However, if TS canned him tomorrow I would not be shocked.

16. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    He wont be fired now. He'll get 2019 and maybe 2020 seasons.

17. georgia_tech_swagger

georgia_tech_swagger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Team:
    GT, USCU
    Unless somebody coughs up $4-6m to the GTAA he won't be fired until the conclusion of the 2021-2022 season. You can thank Todd Stansbury for giving Pastner an extension for that. Without the extension he would be actionable to terminate already.

Regardless the GT men's basketball program is a dead zombie on autopilot for the next 2 years. What you are seeing is precisely what you should expect to see for the next two years until fundamental changes are made in coaching and personnel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Mooney, who totally lit us up yesterday is 2/12 against Louisville.

19. wesleyd21

wesleyd21 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    GT
    Zion is the best freshman I’ve seen since Kenny Anderson.

• Like Like x 3
  20. gtchief

gtchief Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    GT
    This Carolina Duke game is nuts.

• Like Like x 1