Official Apology to jts1207 Thread

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I have flipped back and forth on Pastner too many times to count during his tenure; sometimes on a game by game basis. That said, we can unequivocally say he is an improvement over Gregory and his ACC winning percentage is actually higher than Hewitt's, as well. Of course you weigh the Bell fiasco and dud recruiting classes that followed. But what sometimes gets lost is that we are still talking about a young head coach. 43 years old with 246 wins probably ought to get more respect from the college basketball world than it does.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I have flipped back and forth on Pastner too many times to count during his tenure; sometimes on a game by game basis. That said, we can unequivocally say he is an improvement over Gregory and his ACC winning percentage is actually higher than Hewitt's, as well. Of course you weigh the Bell fiasco and dud recruiting classes that followed. But what sometimes gets lost is that we are still talking about a young head coach. 43 years old with 246 wins probably ought to get more respect from the college basketball world than it does.
I'm in the same boat as you. Just wish we could play with the same consistency game in and game out. We'd be a top 3-5 ACC team this year if we played the season like the last 6 games.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I'm in the same boat as you. Just wish we could play with the same consistency game in and game out. We'd be a top 3-5 ACC team this year if we played the season like the last 6 games.
We already are a top 3-5 team. When we beat Wake, we have a decent shot at 4th if Clemson loses to Cuse, and 5th seems likely if UVA beats Louisville like they should.

If we’d played like this all season, we’d be challenging for the ACC title.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
This is no great basketball team, but it still represents a step forward. Two years in a row with 10+ ACC wins is noteworthy, not sure when we've ever done that. And it seems to me we are doing it with a team that has been fully DEVELOPED by the coaching staff. None of these players (save for Devoe perhaps) was ready to contribute when they got here. This staff has built a winning team from spare parts, this is a dirty garage overhaul job with very nice results.

On top of that we've Finally seen an uptick in recruiting, and we can only hope that continues and we build on momentum. I'd love to see what Pastner and staff could do with actual blue-chips.
I don’t disagree with your points and am not calling you out specifically, but this bugged me in CJPs postgame presser too. The consecutive 10+ ACC wins stat for the first time ever is sure helped by the number of ACC games we play now.

1980-1991: 14 games
1992-2012: 16 games
2013-2019: 18 games
2020: 20 games

For example 85-86 we went 9-5 and 11-3. I think we should be proud of our conference records the last two years. But not a big fan of the total win stats when we played almost 50% more games in 2020 than the first decade in the league.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I don’t disagree with your points and am not calling you out specifically, but this bugged me in CJPs postgame presser too. The consecutive 10+ ACC wins stat for the first time ever is sure helped by the number of ACC games we play now.

1980-1991: 14 games
1992-2012: 16 games
2013-2019: 18 games
2020: 20 games

For example 85-86 we went 9-5 and 11-3. I think we should be proud of our conference records the last two years. But not a big fan of the total win stats when we played almost 50% more games in 2020 than the first decade in the league.
Eh, the point still stands. Last year was our first winning record in the ACC in 16 years and we just posted back-to-back winning records in conference play for the first time in 31 years. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to spin that as anything but extremely positive (not directed at you).

Last edited:

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
Eh, the point still stands. Last year was our first winning record in the ACC in 16 years and we just posted back-to-back winning records in conference play for the first time in 31 years. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to spin that as anything but extremely positive.

Just further proof of a diluted league actually but carry on

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Just further proof of a diluted league actually but carry on
It’s diluted with top shelf talent. No great teams this year though. We won’t be blown away by teams outside the conference based on their skill level.

Enjoy the ride the next few weeks. Things are about to get fun.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Eh, the point still stands. Last year was our first winning record in the ACC in 16 years and we just posted back-to-back winning records in conference play for the first time in 31 years. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to spin that as anything but extremely positive.
And if you read my post you’ll see that’s exactly what I said. No straw men needed here.

If win% is the record then that’s what should be stated. It’s disrespectful to previous teams to throw “never been done before at Tech” with a bogus stat like 10+ wins. It’s not needed to describe the accomplishment of consecutive winning seasons.

johncu

Dodd-Like
And if you read my post you’ll see that’s exactly what I said. No straw men needed here.

If win% is the record then that’s what should be stated. It’s disrespectful to previous teams to throw “never been done before at Tech” with a bogus stat like 10+ wins. It’s not needed to describe the accomplishment of consecutive winning seasons.
That's fair. I don't blame CJP or the staff for picking whatever stats they can to build hype, but I agree that winning percentage is a better indicator.

And the last line wasn't intended for you, but for the others (maybe just one at this point) that are still trying to downplay our accomplishments for some reason.

doyojob

Varsity Lurker
And the last line wasn't intended for you, but for the others (maybe just one at this point) that are still trying to downplay our accomplishments for some reason.
I think we all need to chip in for the costs of some tampons for that dude.

79tech

Flats Noob
CJP is a real goober but I have to give him credit for this team. The Bell fiasco was enough to fire him and ruined a season that could have been decent without suspensions he was responsible for to Okogie. Nevertheless, this team has been very good. I like one poster go up and down on him like a roller coaster. The not practicing thing did not sit well with me but we have battled through it to have a reasonalbe chance for a double bye. He has done a good job developing some of our players and his defensive game plans are usually very solid.

I loved Cremins and Johnson. I don;t know if I can ever love Pastner but to his credit he has had some success and deserves credit for it. I don't think at this point we could do any better. So GO Jackets and Pastner!!!!

BackstreetBuzz

GT fan for 60+ years
This brings me zero joy, but I'll start off.

Pastner is now 74-75 in four plus years at Tech. 36-49 in the ACC. A losing record. 2-5 over the past seven games. Most likely outcome is 3-4 over the next seven games to end the season. In that case, a final record of 12-12. 8-10 in conference. Worse than last year. And now entering another rebuild . . .

I was wrong and jts1207 was right. After five years come March . . . this is a clown show. :(

Who else is ready now to admit that jts1207 was right?
This is now a classic. It has got to be the worst post ever made on any message board.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
I can't help but notice that you keep a pretty close eye on this thread.

All is forgiven - we will reopen the castle Gates and you may return.

Lol...first time I posted