Official argue about the old coach thread

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
In an effort to clean up all football threads going forward, keep arguments about the old coach here.

Feel free to argue about the current staff elsewhere.

Like/hate the old offense -> here
Like/hate new offense -> elsewhere
Old coach + older coach’s players -> here
Hypotheticals old coach + new players -> here

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Just an attempt to keep every thread from deteriorating into a rehash of the Johnson years.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Just an attempt to keep every thread from deteriorating into a rehash of the Johnson years.
I think this has been tried before, with predictable results.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I think this has been tried before, with predictable results.
I have very low hopes. But the other threads were basically year zero due to the greatest transformation in message board history. 2020 was a covid fluke. If this thread can survive to a bowl bid, we’ll know I am on the right track.

Plus, it’s an “official” thread. So it must be legit.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Paul Johnson started taking blood pressure medication and the program died on the vine because they sapped his passion to fight the BS:
- Bobinski
- triple option perception (remember when he insisted on flexbone, BB not FB, etc)
- limited support staff
- blocking rules changes

Point blank, though, it torpedoed the program and we're having to rebuild and still paying the price. Our OL was consistently terrible. Our LB and DB play was atrocious. We were losing to nobodies, uncompetitive against serious programs, and middling in the rest of ACC play.

No offense, but I see TStan's logic with the Geoff hire. Dude might be the worst coach of all time, but we were always going to suck for a few years during the transition (everyone on this board would've agreed with that in 2017) so if he can brand and recruit then we've got a chance to put the next coach in a good position to win.

jacket_sav

Varsity Lurker
Paul Johnson started taking blood pressure medication and the program died on the vine because they sapped his passion to fight the BS:
- Bobinski
- triple option perception (remember when he insisted on flexbone, BB not FB, etc)
- limited support staff
- blocking rules changes

Point blank, though, it torpedoed the program and we're having to rebuild and still paying the price. Our OL was consistently terrible. Our LB and DB play was atrocious. We were losing to nobodies, uncompetitive against serious programs, and middling in the rest of ACC play.

No offense, but I see TStan's logic with the Geoff hire. Dude might be the worst coach of all time, but we were always going to suck for a few years during the transition (everyone on this board would've agreed with that in 2017) so if he can brand and recruit then we've got a chance to put the next coach in a good position to win.
Don't forget, greatest rebuild in the history of rebuilds! They may not be winning, but those guys are out there battling and fighting and battling. I love those guys so much

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Don't forget, greatest rebuild in the history of rebuilds! They may not be winning, but those guys are out there battling and fighting and battling. I love those guys so much
We bought into the Suck after he left the day we hired him. Of course, the people who hired him are gone....

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Because he is terrified he will be held to the same standards as the termites are holding the current coach.

It is unrealistic to comment on any current GT coach in a vacuum,
For an example of what you are talking about: The new coach has people giving up on his entire tenure for losing to NIU 22-21 to open year 3. I didn't even begin to withdraw my support for the old coach until he lost 49-38 to USF to open year 11.

People really like to act like we never had losses (MTSU, USF) and near misses (GW, GaSou) against directional schools under the former coach.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
We bought into the Suck after he left the day we hired him. Of course, the people who hired him are gone....
Yeah, when we hired him it was going to be so glorious that we hired another 3O coach or were were going to have to flip the roster.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
For an example of what you are talking about: The new coach has people giving up on his entire tenure for losing to NIU 22-21 to open year 3. I didn't even begin to withdraw my support for the old coach until he lost 49-38 to USF to open year 11.
Nesbitt averaged probably 9 wins with a 1 win deviation. Washington was a 7 win guy with 1 won deviation. Lee was a 7 win guy. Thomas was a 8 win guy with around a 3.5 win deviation. Marshall was a 6 win guy with a 1 win deviation.

Had Graham or Oliver panned out, we could have been back up. Otherwise, we would be back to the 7 win range.

I gave up on Marshall, but hadn’t given up on finding the next great option qb.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
He may not have said it, but apparently it was true in his case the last 5 years he was here.

(Fun thread. I ain't even mad at CPJ but I am here to fight)
One cannot simply own VT and Duke at the same time.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Nesbitt averaged probably 9 wins with a 1 win deviation. Washington was a 7 win guy with 1 won deviation. Lee was a 7 win guy. Thomas was a 8 win guy with around a 3.5 win deviation. Marshall was a 6 win guy with a 1 win deviation.

Had Graham or Oliver panned out, we could have been back up. Otherwise, we would be back to the 7 win range.

I gave up on Marshall, but hadn’t given up on finding the next great option qb.
I have a sense Graham wasn't going to pan out, regardless. He is back in the portal again. I think it would have been Oliver, then Yates. I think Yates would have been a really good one. Like a Tevin who can throw.

I believe Marshall killed the option deader than dead for much of the fanbase, myself included. If I ever start missing it, I will go back and watch some of those games.