Official CFP Championship Thread

This is why I don't watch for the championship. I watch my team to see what Tech can do and that's all. If we go to the NCG then I'll be watching all the way. Otherwise I watch 10-11 games a year, maybe throw in a heralded gameday matchup and that's it. Screw the ncaa and ESPN money machine. I would still watch GT if we were in the sunbelt with a 3-7 record every season.

The rest of the world is all about the greed of $ anymore. The good days are long gone.
Your forgot to end with . . .

"And get off my lawn!"

:lol:

The championship-level teams and games almost seem like a different sport (or at least a different division) than what we play. I still enjoy watching random CFB games if the teams are evenly matched and put on a good game, even if it’s a mid-tier ACC game or some midweek MAC game. I don’t need a game to have playoff implications to enjoy it, which is good, because Tech’s unlikely to get into that conversation on a regular basis.

JRjr

The championship-level teams and games almost seem like a different sport (or at least a different division) than what we play. I still enjoy watching random CFB games if the teams are evenly matched and put on a good game, even if it’s a mid-tier ACC game or some midweek MAC game. I don’t need a game to have playoff implications to enjoy it, which is good, because Tech’s unlikely to get into that conversation on a regular basis.

JRjr
I’m in a similar place. I like watching people compete at their highest level. And when those levels are close to even it’s a treat to watch.

One idea is to lower new scholarships to something like ten each year per school in FBS - they reduced them once sometime around 1970 because of this same problem back then. I'm sure there are other solutions to produce greater parity and greater regional diversity - which are desperately needed. Hey, if they're hellbent on turning college football into a professional sport, then they should do what every other professional sport does: institute a draft.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this idea, but would it be easier to just stop letting these teams pay their players so much every year? If i'm a 17 year old 360 lb DT and my choices are between a mid-tier school where I'll start every year and probably get drafted vs Alabama where I'll get a new car, tens of thousands of dollars a year, start one or two years after being moved around to avoid my contribution to the scholarship limit for three years, and still probably get drafted by the NFL, I'm going to pick option 2.

I mean, at least institute some sort of salary cap.

The NFL gives you different teams in the playoffs nearly every year actual quality playing across the board. And with the tremendous parity in the NFL, truly any team can win on any given day.

College football, on the other hand, gives you the same 4-6 teams playing each other every year, with the quality far lower than anything in the NFL,

Is it really a surprise that the NFL isfar more watched?
Frankly, college football is just dull. It can be fun when watching with a bunch of drunk fans in a bar. It can also be fun when you have 50+ games in a day so you just watch the 2-3 most interesting games at a given time. But when all you have is a limited number of games, it’s rarely fun because any one game is far more likely to be a one sided blowout than anything else.
You're correct where the competitiveness is concerned, but one thing in College football's favour is the relatively broad number of offensive systems employed, along with the ongoing experimentation compared to the epic groupthink that grips the NFL (Ravens aside).

Jimmies and Joes > Xs and Os.

Look no further than Saban's abysmal NFL stint, where the draft and salary cap flatten the talent gap and where contracts with adults take the place of cross-my-heart promises to high schoolers.

He got flattened on a level playing field, but he's the grandmaster of tilting the field at the college level.

Back