Official Coaching Carousel Thread

One of these days there will be a jilted asst. coach write a tell all and tell some good stories. I guess filing a lawsuit and spilling the beans is a pretty damning approach too. Now they just need to get one of the factory programs get into this situation.

Unfortunately, if a former coach goes full Jose Canseco, there's a lot of downside. Technically they're admitting breach of contract with NCAA. The FBI Adidas case also said this breach of contract rises up to a criminal fraud charge (which I think is utterly asinine).

First they bought Saban's first acolyte, now they buy Smart's

2 or 3 years in the middle of a 20 year career hardly makes "acolyte" status.

I dunno. Mebbe he is. Mebbe he lights a candle every night, genuflects, and flips through photos of men with bad haircuts.

Unfortunately, if a former coach goes full Jose Canseco, there's a lot of downside. Technically they're admitting breach of contract with NCAA. The FBI Adidas case also said this breach of contract rises up to a criminal fraud charge (which I think is utterly asinine).

Can you explain further?

Can you explain further?

The NCAA has contracts with all universities, coaches and players that they would not do stuff which is non-amateur, in exchange for competing in NCAA events.

Facilitating payments not allowed by the contract could be construed as creating economic damages to the universities. The theory of the SDNY Adidas case was wire fraud, due to the defendants defrauding the universities of their economic gains from having amateur athletics.

A criminal wire fraud case probably would not happen to an assistant coach who recounts payments, but the NCAA could at least threaten a big lawsuit for supposed damages.

Back