OFFICIAL Falcons Playoffs Thread

Except there is no rule against taking a practice kick when the TO is called...

Exactly. Plus, Bryant has told Bosher and the long-snapper to go through with the kick no matter what. I'm not sure why more kickers don't do this. You basically get a free practice kick and its not against the rules

"The officials told us before the game that nobody's going to get a chance to do that [practice kick]," Carroll said. "I asked them pregame what if somebody does, and they didn't know what the answer was, obviously. I had never heard that before, so I was just challenging it."

Even Carroll knew it wasn't against the rules. He was essentially bitching about the ref's supposedly telling him one thing, then doing another.

"The officials told us before the game that nobody's going to get a chance to do that [practice kick]," Carroll said. "I asked them pregame what if somebody does, and they didn't know what the answer was, obviously. I had never heard that before, so I was just challenging it."

Even Carroll knew it wasn't against the rules. He was essentially bitching about the ref's supposedly telling him one thing, then doing another.

Has anyone given Carroll a :bigcry: yet?

And I wonder how many times Carroll told a recruit or a player one thing, then done another?

Delay of game? Will it take more than 2 minutes to retrieve a kicked football? LOL

BTW, it should be the responsibility of the tool of a coach who calls the "icing" timeout to retrieve the football.

If I coached I would have my kicker practice multiple kicks during a timeout. As long as the balls are retrieved before the play clock expires when play resumes. Right?

If I coached I would have my kicker practice multiple kicks during a timeout. As long as the balls are retrieved before the play clock expires when play resumes. Right?

Are you still stuck on this stupid notion?

Exactly. Plus, Bryant has told Bosher and the long-snapper to go through with the kick no matter what. I'm not sure why more kickers don't do this. You basically get a free practice kick and its not against the rules

I'm not sure it is against the rules. But it has been happening for as long as I can remember. There isn't much the ref can do other than call an unsportsman like penalty for moving the ball after it has been spotted.

If Pete didn't want them to get a practice kick, he should have told his guys to "play through the whistle" too and try to block the kick.

I'm not sure it is against the rules. But it has been happening for as long as I can remember. There isn't much the ref can do other than call an unsportsman like penalty for moving the ball after it has been spotted.

They could call a delay of game.

I am guessing there will be rule in place for next year not allowing practice kicks.

They could call a delay of game.

They could. But it didn't really delay anything since there was a timeout. It is part of football. Pete knows it, he is just being a puss. If he didn't want the Falcons to have a free kick, he shouldn't have called timeout. I can't remember the last time calling a timeout to ice the kicker actually worked in the NFL.

I am guessing there will be rule in place for next year not allowing practice kicks.

Still wouldn't really apply in this situation. It's a judgement call by the refs when coaches can wait until just right before the ball is snapped to call a timeout.

Cant believe you all are still talking about this

I'm amazed with how long the subthread about kicking balls has become in light of how short the thread about deflated balls was. I mean, it's obvious that kicking deflated balls changes the quality of the kick, and here we have a story that says just about every teams's balls are deflated to some degree. The question, in my mind, is who's balls do the kickers kick? The other teams? Their own teams? Decided at random? Fan selection? This has serious implications, people!

I'm amazed with how long the subthread about kicking balls has become in light of how short the thread about deflated balls was. I mean, it's obvious that kicking deflated balls changes the quality of the kick, and here we have a story that says just about every teams's balls are deflated to some degree. The question, in my mind, is who's balls do the kickers kick? The other teams? Their own teams? Decided at random? Fan selection? This has serious implications, people!

woah.gif

Back