Official: March Madness First Four, First Weekend

00Burdell

Dodd-Like
I'm about to get on a plane to Indianapolis to smack Florida State upside the head. They are dominating Colorado but they can't pull away.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Finish the deal and it’s a satisfactory ACC. 3 teams impacted by COVID significantly (us, UVA, and VPI).

Clemson result against Rutgers was not too surprising given their play late in the season but disappointing. UNC is always enjoyable watching them get blasted. Mediocre team in ACC got a mediocre result/performance in the tournament.

Truly I believe the NCAA committee mistook us for Clemson some how in the seeding. Sucks we didn’t get a third opportunity against them.

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
So not a single close game today. I really hope this trend doesn't continue.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Ten conferences represented in the Sweet 16. Of course, PAC 12 leads the way with their impressive 25% of the remaining field. ACC, Big East and SEC have two apiece. The darlings of all the experts and bracketologists, the Big 10 and Big 12, have one each.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Ten conferences represented in the Sweet 16. Of course, PAC 12 leads the way with their impressive 25% of the remaining field. ACC, Big East and SEC have two apiece. The darlings of all the experts and bracketologists, the Big 10 and Big 12, have one each.
I picked the Big10 to perform well since the tournament is taking place in their back yard.

Whoops

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Yep. Against a team like UCLA who played their own game instead of letting the little guy dictate it, they were in way over their heads.

As much as that's a testament to ACU being overmatched, I still think UCLA is dangerous and likely among those who were poorly seeded.
I think Oregon State and Colorado were the only tourney teams UCLA beat. They lost to Oregon, lost both times to USC, and limped into the tourney on a 4-game losing streak. They were probably seeded appropriately based on their resume, but like Syracuse, they have a high ceiling for an 11-seed.

That's one of the difficult things about seeding. If you go strictly off merit, you're going to have some games where the lower seeded team is probably the more dangerous but has just underachieved. Conversely, it's difficult to rationalize rewarding a team with a higher seed based on potential.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I am not certain the tournament results prove the bracketologists and talking heads wrong. But, what it does show is that all of their bluster and even their “metrics” that supposedly prove their points are really just opinions. Their consensus all year long was Big 10 then Big 12 were the top conferences. When on a Saturday in mid- year the SEC beat the Big 12 in a challenge they did not revise their thinking at all. The won-loss record and the eye test, especially if you know something about basketball and have some objectivity about quality of play and strength of play, is the best test. The difficulty is talking heads that are promoting network interests are just selling their own narrative and the number of experts that have seen eligible teams play frequently enough to really have an informed opinion is small. What is really annoying is when someone discounts fan opinion by quoting the “objective science” of the media bracketologists. They may appear wise when the brackets are announced and the bracketologists were right. But, all they have done is buy in to media bias which greatly influences selections; they are not more insightful than others about quality basketball.

The Jacket

The Coat
Agreed. Unless the year is 1996.
Different situation in 1996. We won the regular season, made the ACC Final, and only lost because we played known cheaters and probable child predators Wake Forest. Word on the street was that the referees had kids and some threats had been made. I can't confirm this, but I do endorse it as obvious and incontrovertible truth.

The Jacket

The Coat
I think Oregon State and Colorado were the only tourney teams UCLA beat. They lost to Oregon, lost both times to USC, and limped into the tourney on a 4-game losing streak. They were probably seeded appropriately based on their resume, but like Syracuse, they have a high ceiling for an 11-seed.

That's one of the difficult things about seeding. If you go strictly off merit, you're going to have some games where the lower seeded team is probably the more dangerous but has just underachieved. Conversely, it's difficult to rationalize rewarding a team with a higher seed based on potential.
Yeah, poorly said on my part. In retrospect most of my bitching about seeding has lacked explanation of what my real issue is, which is exactly what @77GTFan said very well. On paper this current system - of using polls through the regular season, then bubble watches and bracketology to track tournament potential, and finally a committee to handle the placement and seeding - should be ideal for a season and field as long and sprawling as college basketball. The problem is, none of the people involved in those bodies have any interest in doing right by the players and teams themselves. Their commitment is to self-promotion, mass appeal, and revenue generation.

In a better world, the people who vote in the polls and decide on committees would actually watch the teams they're selecting, from the beginning of the season to the end. This would be their actual job, instead of something they do on the side. But media polls are comprised of a ton of different people with differing agendas, the committee is a secretly conducted ööööfest, and it seems to be pretty well accepted as a fact of life that it's ridiculous to expect any of them to watch the games. We accept the same thing in football, the CFP rankings are decided by people who obviously do not have the time nor the inclination to watch actual games or do any proper research.

This is what frustrates me. More than that, it's really irritating when Tech fans tell other Tech fans to stop whining about seeding, and defend our placement on the terms of an absurdly broken and inadequate selection system.

The Jacket

The Coat
Nowhere else to drop this, but it's important for everyone to note that my CBI bracket is perfect so far. Tell your friends.

Coastal Carolina beat Stetson today. If Bellarmine handles Pepperdine, I will accept my charge as the god of CBI bracketology with great humility.