OFFICIAL Signing Day Thread

GATechAE07

Dodd-Like
And the 29% / 32% number doesn't really help your argument. It basically shows we seen no improvment for more than double the HC salary.
This is where I snarkily tell you to "learn to read."

I've never argued that we've improved, I've consistently argued that the "big 4" argument is stupid, arbitrary, and only serves to illustrate a biased opinion. If anything, I've argued that we are pretty much "steady as she goes" in terms of expected GT football performance, which is perfectly represented by my own completely arbitrary statistic.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Losing 9-6 to WFU in the ACCCG with Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice on your roster.:rolleyes:

In what world is losing to a BCS division champion worse than losing to a non-AQ bottom feeder?

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Honestly I would just like for us to get away from being anywhere near the number 50 and get closer to a 30th rank on a more consistent basis. I think that should be achievable.
In terms of average stars, we're #34 on Rivals. In terms of total points, 90% of the programs ranked ahead of us and anywhere near us signed more recruits than we did.

We signed the 82nd largest class. Think about that. 81 of the 120 or so FBS teams signed more recruits than we did this year. If we were able to sign 6 more guys with an average star ranking of 2.95 this class, we'd have been around #25. In order to consistently be in that category, we'd have to start oversigning and cutting scholarships and greyshirting and all the things that the moral types get all up-in-arms about whenever they are mentioned. If that's what you are advocating, power to you, but if it's not what you're advocating, you've got what you'll get.

gtfan247365

Varsity Lurker
Interesting read. But, not sure of your point here.

As I read it, that article says that as a "class", 5-star schools will win most of the matches with 4-, 3-, 2-, and 1-star schools.

I see that as saying you can't ignore the talent differential.

It also says that to me that there are no guarantees with better talent (or lesser talent for that matter, examples given at the end of the article) if you are looking at specific schools.

Would we benefit by having all 5-star talent? Almost definitely. But we all admit that's NEVER going to happen for GT.

So again, what is your point?

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Going back to the Myles Autry thing, I just watched his Junior highlights, then his Senior highlights. Didn't he have his injury towards the end of his Junior year?

To be honest, the 2013 (Senior) season highlights weren't very impressive, ESPECIALLY when compared to the previous year. I'm hoping that this injury doesn't hold him back and I hope he can get back to 100%. Because if he does my friends, then we have acquired a beast and a game changer.

KG01

Dodd-Like
Going back to the Myles Autry thing, I just watched his Junior highlights, then his Senior highlights. Didn't he have his injury towards the end of his Junior year?

To be honest, the 2013 (Senior) season highlights weren't very impressive, ESPECIALLY when compared to the previous year. I'm hoping that this injury doesn't hold him back and I hope he can get back to 100%. Because if he does my friends, then we have acquired a beast and a game changer.
This is like the 45632th time this has been run through I'm sure but here goes again. He had a bad knee injury at the end of Jr year, came back too early in his Sr. year and played awful, got shut down, came back near 100% and was in beast mode in the playoffs.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
This is like the 45632th time this has been run through I'm sure but here goes again. He had a bad knee injury at the end of Jr year, came back too early in his Sr. year and played awful, got shut down, came back near 100% and was in beast mode in the playoffs.
Thanks, and sorry for beating a dead horse.

Nashville Jacket

Dodd-Like
One reason why it's difficult to recruit top players to GT:

The three are participating in a pre-draft all-star game in Greenville, S.C. that is being played Friday. The snow, however, cancelled practices Wednesday that would have given them precious opportunities to demonstrate their ability to play in a conventional offense before NFL scouts. For pre-draft events like the Senior Bowl and the College All-Star Bowl that Finch, Godhigh and Jackson are playing in, the practice time is more valuable than the game itself as players are given repeated game-speed reps before scouts, often being isolated in one-on-one situations.

For the three, as Jackson put it, “that are kind of labeled as option players, it’s big for us to show we can get out there and play in other schemes. We were hoping to get more than one practice to get reps and get accustomed to the schemes we’re using this week.”

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/14/finch-godhigh-jackson-to-play-in-showcase-game/