Official Stingtalk Excursion - Making blue deviled eggs out of blue devils

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I’m taking the tailgate to Durham Saturday morning. If any of you are in the area and want to join us let me know. I’ll post tailgate location as soon as I figure it out. Aiming to set up at 8:30am.

I’m taking the tailgate to Durham Saturday morning. If any of you are in the area and want to join us let me know. I’ll post tailgate location as soon as I figure it out. Aiming to set up at 8:30am.

I've been to several Tech games in Durham. Back when Dodd was coaching, it was such a big game, they ran special trains from Atlanta to Durham.

When I went, we drove. It's a beautiful place. The best part of the whole trip was stopping in Mount Airy, NC on the way and seeing all the Andy Griffith Show stuff. You can even rent the house Andy Griffith lived in when he was growing up for the night.

At the stadium, we used to move after every play, so we were always sitting right on the line of scrimmage. Quite a nice road trip. Wish I was going this week.

Fair warning to those going: Games in Durham suck on a good day and are even worse when we lose. I was there when Duke broke the years long ACC winless streak against us and the students came flooding into an empty stadium from a basketball scrimmage to tear down the goalposts.

I’ve been to Duke many times. Liked it better before they updated the stadium, honestly. It’s low-key, it’s cheap, it’s easy, and I get to watch my team play in a relaxed environment. There’s no atmosphere to speak of, but it’s still more enjoyable than watching on TV.

JRjr

I hope we beat Duke, we should, But I am worried as we should have went on the road and beat cuse last year. Go Jackets!

Went to a Dook game and with the intention of scalping tickets for $5-10. Some piss ant kid wanted $30/each. Walked away shaking my head, he chased me down and said $25. Told him to GTFO and looked for some GT fans with extras. Did not take long, they gave us free beer to boot. Walked into a nearly empty stadium and plunked my ass down in the 40. Some Dook assbag walks by and says we’re in his seats despite there being nobody 5 rows up or down from us and nobody within 10 seats or so. We moved to the 45. Assholes kept it close for almost 2 quarters and had to tolerate this genius barking at me. After that we ööööed them up and by the end of the 3rd quarter there were maybe 500 fans left. 50 GT plus players families or the maybe the cheerleaders. If I recall GT went off into a field for halftime. Not sure there was even a locker room or it sucked so bad we stayed outside. That had to be roughly 25-30 years ago. My memory is shot for öööö like that.

I’ve been to Duke many times. Liked it better before they updated the stadium, honestly. It’s low-key, it’s cheap, it’s easy, and I get to watch my team play in a relaxed environment. There’s no atmosphere to speak of, but it’s still more enjoyable than watching on TV.

JRjr

Same here. You can't make your program big time by simply adding a big video board and loud speakers, but you certainly can ruin what used to be a rare opportunity for an intimate P5 football experience.

Went to a Dook game and with the intention of scalping tickets for $5-10. Some piss ant kid wanted $30/each. Walked away shaking my head, he chased me down and said $25. Told him to GTFO and looked for some GT fans with extras. Did not take long, they gave us free beer to boot. Walked into a nearly empty stadium and plunked my ass down in the 40. Some Dook assbag walks by and says we’re in his seats despite there being nobody 5 rows up or down from us and nobody within 10 seats or so. We moved to the 45. Assholes kept it close for almost 2 quarters and had to tolerate this genius barking at me. After that we ööööed them up and by the end of the 3rd quarter there were maybe 500 fans left. 50 GT plus players families or the maybe the cheerleaders. If I recall GT went off into a field for halftime. Not sure there was even a locker room or it sucked so bad we stayed outside. That had to be roughly 25-30 years ago. My memory is shot for öööö like that.

Visitors locker room is a really long way away at Duke. We really should set up tents instead.

Visitors locker room is a really long way away at Duke. We really should set up tents instead.

Yeah, I think they used to have to walk all the way across the practice field and beyond to get to the visitors locker room. Dunno if that’s been addressed in the recent renovations.

One year CPJ just took the team behind the shrubbery behind the scoreboard and did halftime right there rather than going all the way to the locker room, which I thought was awesome, and the kind of old-school thing I enjoyed from CPJ.

JRjr

Sadly, we are fast on the way to a Duke experience. Empty stadium, folks looking to basketball. I've been to Duke many times, and actually think the home field advantage works to their favor in reverse- no one there, little crowd noise, sleepy atmosphere - opponents feel like they are at a practice and literally get lulled to sleep. On paper, we should win going away. Reality is our coaching staff throws a wild card into any predictions.

Sadly, we are fast on the way to a Duke experience. Empty stadium, folks looking to basketball. I've been to Duke many times, and actually think the home field advantage works to their favor in reverse- no one there, little crowd noise, sleepy atmosphere - opponents feel like they are at a practice and literally get lulled to sleep. On paper, we should win going away. Reality is our coaching staff throws a wild card into any predictions.
Shut the hell up.

Enjoyed being there for a win today. Got soaked at the start, hoped the 14-0 start meant it would be an all day party. Then watched Duke dominate the line of scrimmage, Sims go back to turning the ball over and finally falling behind by three late. But, surprise, surprise - we had a terrific clutch drive to take the lead and an interception to preserve the win. Dancing to The Horse was a lot more fun than at the N. Illinois game. It is probably better for our team psyche that we could come back at the end to win a close one than an easy win. The rains fell again on the victory walk to the car - a satisfying day.

Back