Ol’ Roy to Retire

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Makes you wonder if he has some health issues.

Or maybe half his team just left and he doesn't have players in the pipeline?

atlanta jacket

Dodd-Like
Glad to hear Ol’Roy is done at UNC. Time for all the old guys to retire- Coach K, Boeheim, Laranaga, Hamilton. Time for the Josh Pastner era of ACC dominance to begin. (Perhaps shared with Tony Bennett.) Hearing UNC fans clamor for Wes Miller. Sounds good to me.
He was headed to the Flats if Cremins had not turned around

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Makes you wonder if he has some health issues.

Or maybe half his team just left and he doesn't have players in the pipeline?
Probably a combo of the latter and the fact that he's 70 years old.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I think the season took a real toll on him - COVID challenges, players whining about playing time and touches, players partying and posting after Duke win that led to canceling games and bringing bad pub, parents tweeting veiled and not so veiled criticism, and the craziness of the transfer portal. I think he was done. I hate it for him that he is going out after such a crazy season. Had he come to Tech in the 90’s I would have loved him. But, coaching the Tarheels to multiple titles made him a rival. I will say we had some success against him, much more than we have experienced against Coach K the past twenty years.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
He certainly entered into an enviable position--basketball school, with one of the top few rosters in the country when he took over. Nonetheless, Dean Smith and his successors won one national championship in the post-Jordan/pre-Roy years. Then, Roy won three titles in 17 years, which is more than Dean Smith won in 37 years, and constitutes half of the national championships in school history. Not too bad for the most overrated coach of all time.
I am sure it helped that his players didn't have to even pretend to attend any classes.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Didn’t he also coach at Kansas right after Larry Brown won it all as the Jayhawks head coach in 88?

coached there 15 years and consistently lost as the #1 seed year after year after year.
He certainly had some underachieving teams, as well. I wouldn't say he's one of the top 5 coaches of all time or anything, but he's had a career that almost any coach would take in a heartbeat.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
TBF, about a decade and a half of Dean's tenure was reserved for John Wooden and UCLA. What are the totals on ACC and ACCT titles between the two?
True, but Dean also benefitted from a couple decades without Coach K in the picture. Even so, Roy won the ACC 9 times in 17 years, and Dean won it 17 times in 37 years (only twice in his last 9 years).

OptionJacket

Varsity Lurker
Williams can kiss my yellow jacket rear end! A well polished turd is still a turd. Dude loved him some me and when he finally had a rough season and realized these 18 year old kids don’t give a rats behind about him he retired. Seriously, Williams had the privilege of all privileges and he still choked year after year. Him and coach K are cut from the same protected cloth. Both those programs will take a dive soon because none of these current group if kids cares about UNC or Duke. Michigan is about to be a perennial power with Howard because kids of today want those type of coaches.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Williams can kiss my yellow jacket rear end! A well polished turd is still a turd. Dude loved him some me and when he finally had a rough season and realized these 18 year old kids don’t give a rats behind about him he retired. Seriously, Williams had the privilege of all privileges and he still choked year after year. Him and coach K are cut from the same protected cloth. Both those programs will take a dive soon because none of these current group if kids cares about UNC or Duke. Michigan is about to be a perennial power with Howard because kids of today want those type of coaches.
I wish we would choke ourselves to three national titles.

18in32

Petard Hoister
He certainly had some underachieving teams, as well. I wouldn't say he's one of the top 5 coaches of all time or anything, but he's had a career that almost any coach would take in a heartbeat.
What will you grant a coach that's got 3 national titles (4th most all time) and 903 victories all time (3d most all time)...? Top 6 coach all time? Top 7?

18in32

Petard Hoister
TBF, about a decade and a half of Dean's tenure was reserved for John Wooden and UCLA. What are the totals on ACC and ACCT titles between the two?
Another big issue is that prior to 1975, the NCAAT only accepted conference champions. The ACC had always stated that the tournament winner was the conference champion, which resulted in some screwy years when the 'better' team over the course of the year didn't make the tournament because it lost the ACCT.

The Pac-8, OTOH, awarded their championship (and hence their NCAAT bid) to the regular season champion until the mid-80's. IOW, being the giant of the Pac-8, UCLA would always get the NCAAT bid, since it was the regular season champion. The more balanced ACC had teams not make the NCAAT because of fluke ACCT losses. Another reason why ACC schools 'punched below their weight' nationally in the 60's and 70's.

But who am I kidding? Wooden was a beast.

JJacket

1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000
Unhappiness with the transfer portal and Kessler transferring is being cited as a one of the reasons for retirement.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
What will you grant a coach that's got 3 national titles (4th most all time) and 903 victories all time (3d most all time)...? Top 6 coach all time? Top 7?
Sure. It's weird that I'm getting challenged by both the pro- and anti-Roy crowd, but my basic summation would be: his in-game coaching was sometimes suspect, but his achievements throughout his career are undeniable; he's a HOF coach who managed to continue being successful without loading up his roster with one-year rentals.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Sure. It's weird that I'm getting challenged by both the pro- and anti-Roy crowd, but my basic summation would be: his in-game coaching was sometimes suspect, but his achievements throughout his career are undeniable; he's a HOF coach who managed to continue being successful without loading up his roster with one-year rentals.
I'm not in any crowd, though I do admit that personally I think it makes a lot more sense to hate Coach K than to hate Roy. I think we're all free to hate Roy on all the usual grounds that we hate opposing coaches... (a) he whines to the media, (b) he gets all the calls, (c) he recruits against us unfairly in some way, (d) etc. etc.

But you can't hate Roy for being a bad coach or being overrated or whatever. In fact, it is pretty hard to think of what kind of further accomplishment he could achieve to demonstrate he wasn't bad or overrated. Execute a certain in-game adjustment just the way *we* think he ought to?

He may not be "the" greatest coach of all time (that may be your HS coach that really changed your life, or whatever), but he's plainly among the greatest, most successful and most accomplished coaches in MBB history. The goal of each game is to win the game, and the goal of each season is to win the championship. He's done both of those more than almost anyone.

SimpleGT

Varsity Lurker
I'm not in any crowd, though I do admit that personally I think it makes a lot more sense to hate Coach K than to hate Roy. I think we're all free to hate Roy on all the usual grounds that we hate opposing coaches... (a) he whines to the media, (b) he gets all the calls, (c) he recruits against us unfairly in some way, (d) etc. etc.

But you can't hate Roy for being a bad coach or being overrated or whatever. In fact, it is pretty hard to think of what kind of further accomplishment he could achieve to demonstrate he wasn't bad or overrated. Execute a certain in-game adjustment just the way *we* think he ought to?

He may not be "the" greatest coach of all time (that may be your HS coach that really changed your life, or whatever), but he's plainly among the greatest, most successful and most accomplished coaches in MBB history. The goal of each game is to win the game, and the goal of each season is to win the championship. He's done both of those more than almost anyone.
As others have pointed out, he had a huge advantage in not having to worry about his players staying in school or even going to class. Plus the recruiting advantage of being able to tell the players that they wouldn't have to bother with silly things like classwork

18in32

Petard Hoister
As others have pointed out, he had a huge advantage in not having to worry about his players staying in school or even going to class. Plus the recruiting advantage of being able to tell the players that they wouldn't have to bother with silly things like classwork
Yeah he sucked good point