One big positive - One big negative

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
And it's tainted somewhat, because it's Vandy.

Reggie had his first, come from behind, drive to pull out a "W".

That's the symbol of greatness for the Elway's, Montana's, and all the great QB's out there.

Now, I wouldn't begin to compare Reggie to David Greene, much less two Hall of Famers, but a come from behind victory excites a team and it builds confidence for a QB.

It's what makes a team keep fighting when they get blindsided like the last UGA and CU games, instead of doing what they did. When they think that being behind won't last the whole game, they keep fighting, because they don't think it will be wasted.

It's a start. It's also a position we should have never been in, but it's a start.

On the other hand...

D-bo and James Butler handled themselves with much class in the post-game interview. Much class.

Reggie was awful. I'm sick of hearing that guy spend entire interviews talking about how great he is instead of the team. "I made the decision, It was my call, and I made it happen, I could have pitched it to PJ, but I saw what I did and kept it and I was able to make the play."

He kicked butt, but he gave ZERO credit to anyone besides himself. I only got to hear it on the radio, so I didn't see - - but I wonder if any one blocked on that play? I wonder if anyone ran a route that streched the D away from him?

I would rather lose than support a trash talking punk (which I'm not saying Reggie is, but he's getting real close). Those guys represent our team. When I support them I am judged by what they do and say. If I'm spending my hard earned money, I don't expect to hear U of Miami on the post game interview when I heard or saw QuitterU all during the game.

If I were on the team, I would knickname Reggie, "ME" until he learns to spread the credit.

Yo, What's going on "ME"? What's the play, "ME"? Yo, "ME", you want me to block or you got this one?

I know we blocked that kick and made that interception, but that's just nothing compared to what you did, "ME".

Hey "ME", can you really throw it and cath it both? You the man, "ME"! You really can do it all, "ME". If we don't lose any more, it's only because of you, "ME".

I quit pulling for the Falcons after more than thirty years because I didn't want to do ANYthing that supported Jamal Anderson. I'm sure not going to listen to this crap for four years.

I will always be a Tech fan, but I don't want to align myself with kids that act like that.

I don't see Fox, Smith (either one), or Henderson acting that way.

There is a saying, "If you have to tell someone you're the man, you're not the man."

Somebody needs to talk to that kid. Preferably his teammates. Five games is too long for this to go on.

"We stayed in the game,we showed great heart, played good and hard and got a victory."

- Reggie Ball

Not seeing anything thus far that tells me he's only crediting himself.

Let me say this with regard to the brilliant decision by Reggie to keep on a naked reverse in OT: EVERYBODY tried to take credit for it!
Coach G said "we thought that the play would be there when we noticed it in the 1st half. I thank Coach Nix for pointing it out to start the overtime as he said to me 'I think we ought to try it'. So I called it."
Reggie was explaining "it was my call. It was an option I had. If I read my keys & thought I had it, I had the option. I thought it was there so I kept it".

The actual play was a straight off-tackle hand off to Daniels. The ENTIRE offense ran the play as called. Vandy's entire defense read & reacted to play as they had all game. The ENTIRE defense went with the flow of the play.
Coach Nix had pointed out to Coach Gailey that they ought to fake it & bootleg. Coach G (&/or Coach N) pointed this out to Ball that if his reads appeared to be there then he should fake it & do a complete, total naked reverse.
Reggie said his reads were there, so he made the gutsy decision to try for it all on his own. It WAS a steel-nerve decision.
So they all gloated a little & I didn't get the feel that any of them were running their mouths too much.

techfowl, I think you need to back off a little. I haven't sensed that kind of attitude from Reggie. He's taking responsibility which is what a QB should do. He also said he wasn't playing well earlier and that Chan should have been frustrated with him.

GT Ace,
The quote I read (from your link) about "the call" actually had Coach Gailey giving the credit to Nix:
ON PLAY CALLING IN OT
We said all along we thought the play was there, but I give credit to Patrick Nix (assistant coach-quarterbacks and running game coordinator). He’s the one who said let’s give that a shot and we did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">A few team-oriented quote from Reggie Ball courtesy GT Aces' link (right here)

The whole offense showed great heart. We continued to play hard throughout the game and came up with the victory.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
I was making stupid mistakes – I just kept fighting – I myself got a little frustrated – it wasn’t going our way late in the first half and early in the second half and we kept fighting to stay in it and showed great heart.

Reggie's not quite Jamal Anderson level cocky just yet!
wink.gif

Maybe there's a little confusion with when he said "It was my call." If so, I'm nearly positive that he meant the decision of where to go with the play was in his hands, not that he actually called the play.

smile.gif

He's not cocky until he buys a giant SUV and parks in handicapped spaces with fake or illegal permits.

Originally posted by Thunder:
He's not cocky until he buys a giant SUV and parks in handicapped spaces with fake or illegal permits.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. or have business cards printed out saying:

Reggie Ball, QB, GaTech

Originally posted by Thunder:
Originally posted by ylojk8LOL .. or have business cards printed out saying:

Reggie Ball, QB, GaTech
laugh.gif

Reggie Ball is a class act and we are very fortunate to have this type of player / person on our team. He has very high standards for himself and those around him. The thing that strikes me about Reggie in his post game interviews is that he talks about what he did wrong and follows it up with what he needs to do to get better. Another thing, remember this guy is 18. How many 18 year holds could handle themselves the way this guy does and he's only going to get better as he matures.

I would be more concerned about post game comments about how we did not prepare the way we should for the game like we have heard after Clemson / Georgia / Fresno State. Remember that kids have a tendency to repeat what has been communicated to them by authority figures. In the absence of clearly communicated mission, they are going to sound a lot like the 18-21 year olds that they are. Gailey needs to do a better job of communicating with his players, coaches, fans, recruits, and the media. He needs to develop a plan supported by a well thought out rational and then consistently communicate that plan to everyone involved in making this program successful. I do not feel we have a plan and if we do it certainly has not been communicate very well. I feel that this failure to communicate contributes to the schizophrenic nature of our team from week to week. Winning or losing ball games are not singular events that just happen. They are the reflection of the many successes or failures made at each step as the team prepares itself for competition.

Reggie Ball is not our problem. He is our opportunity. If you have a problem with our 18 year old QB, maybe you shouldn't be questioning him, but instead focus on the people who are suppose to be grooming him into the QB / leader that he should be.

I agree with almost all the comments and will accept the criticism from each of you.

I sure don't think Reggie has become Jamal Anderson or I would have alreday written him off. I also think we are lucky to have Reggie.

That being said, he's already had two mulligans:

1. "If they run Zone..., If they play man..., I bring everything to the table..."

2. and, "We won't lose another game,"

After being called on each of these just last week, I would have expected less, ME, ME, ME, in the post game interview.

Whether it was his call was not discussed in the interview until Reggie volunteered it.

Like I said in the first post, I just don't want the ME stuff to keep progressing further and further. He should be forced to read Sun Tzu.

Also, I should admit in this post, that it was 3 in the morning, and I was tired and cranky about what should have never been a close game, and I stated my case much more harshly than I should have.

Back