One place where Tech football ranks in the top 10 - overachieving

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I looked around a little bit didn’t see this posted. My apologies if this is a repost.

Here’s something even Paul Johnson, who doesn’t like many things, will enjoy. Rivals has ranked the Power 5 programs according to NFL draftees produced vis-à-vis actual results over the past decade. Georgia Tech lands among the top 10 overachievers. And why would Tech’s coach enjoy that? Because overachieving is always a function of coaching.

Duke is the nation’s No. 1 overachiever. (David Cutcliffe, who coaches the Blue Devils, was interested in the Tech job in 2007 but never got an interview because Dan Radakovich had settled on Johnson. Small world.) The Yellow Jackets rank No. 9 among the 64 Power 5 entries and No. 2 in the ACC. Other top 10 overachievers include: Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Northwestern, Kansas State, Oregon, Michigan State, TCU and Texas Tech. Note that two of those – Oregon and Michigan State – have made the College Football Playoff.

Writes Rob Cassidy: “Georgia Tech won the 2009 ACC Championship and put just six players in the draft over the next three years. Paul Johnson has coached in four conference championship games in his decade as the Yellow Jackets' coach despite his number of NFL picks being tied for eighth in the league over the length of the study.”

The bottom 10 of underachievement, in descending order: Florida, Oregon State, Iowa, LSU, Arkansas, UCLA, Miami, North Carolina, Illinois and California. All save Iowa and North Carolina have changed coaches within the past three years. (The most overrated guy in the country is the Tar Heels’ Larry Fedora. He keeps getting mentioned as a candidate for other jobs. I can’t understand how he keeps the one he has.)

Oh, and now you’re asking: What of Georgia? The Bulldogs ranked 52nd out of 64 in achievement, one spot below Boston College and one above Tennessee. Note that the man who coached Georgia for the first eight of those years now coaches Miami, which was mentioned – not favorably – in the previous paragraph.
https://www.myajc.com/blog/mark-bra...the-top-overachieving/4oNryzX4gGWHheVGziOXEL/

sowegajacket

Idiotsavant
I wonder how things would have worked out if Cutcliffe had gotten the job instead of CPJ. :scared:

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
So CPJ is a good coach because he overachieves with the talent he gets or he's a bad coach because of the talent he gets? Doesn't seem very convincing endorsement. Maybe he's a good field coach and a ööööty recruiter.

Also, counting players who actually make NFL rosters would make more sense than draftees.

BranMart

Vegetables taste like sad.
If CPJ coached a private school with idiot majors for SAs, he’d own the ACC.
Doubt it. Idiots couldn't run his system. It takes our intelligent and driven guys 3 years to get worth a damn at it.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Doubt it. Idiots couldn't run his system. It takes our intelligent and driven guys 3 years to get worth a damn at it.
Yeahbut we would have so much depth that it would take three years to move up to first team and we wouldn't be making the agonizing choice we always seem to be faced with of choosing between inexperienced athleticism and experience.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
This is questionable. GaSouthern didn't have the brightest while he was there. They did have very good players. Honestly and unfortunately I sometimes think a decent percentage of our problems are connected to "want to" by our players. If this year's team believes and works hard they can have a great season. I am very excited to see what the defense will look like.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Here's the rivals article that Bradley is referencing. https://n.rivals.com/news/overachiever-or-underachiever-ranking-all-power-five-teams-3
I started to post it the other day, but I figured it would start the usual debate and I'm sitting a few plays out. I will say that I'm quite eager for Cutcliffe to retire already.
Miami is certainly underachieving, but that should change going forward, unfortunately. Randy Shannon and Golden made a mess of things while they were there. Or maybe it was all the Shapiro corruption. Regardless, Reverend Richt will win there consistently with the talent they get.

winstoneagle

Varsity Lurker
This is questionable. GaSouthern didn't have the brightest while he was there. They did have very good players. Honestly and unfortunately I sometimes think a decent percentage of our problems are connected to "want to" by our players. If this year's team believes and works hard they can have a great season. I am very excited to see what the defense will look like.
Yeahbut we would have so much depth that it would take three years to move up to first team and we wouldn't be making the agonizing choice we always seem to be faced with of choosing between inexperienced athleticism and experience.
So you know the academic aptitude of every Georgia Southern player CPJ had during his tenure?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
So you know the academic aptitude of every Georgia Southern player CPJ had during his tenure?
Perhaps you are assuming that academic IQ and football IQ are tightly correlated. I can assure you they are not. And by football IQ I mean the ability to understand how a play is going to unfold before it actually does. I knew quite a few guys on our team back in the day who were totally lost in the classroom but could demonstrate a remarkable ability to spatially map the play as its happening and make decisions accordingly. It was as if they would have no trouble playing chess where instead of taking turns moving one piece at a time, both players could move all the pieces at the same time. Those late night conversations were great for me - that's when I first understood that there is more than one kind of smart.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Miami is certainly underachieving, but that should change going forward, unfortunately. Randy Shannon and Golden made a mess of things while they were there. Or maybe it was all the Shapiro corruption. Regardless, Reverend Richt will win there consistently with the talent they get.
No argument there. Excellent hire for Thug U. No doubt it raises the difficulty level in the coastal.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
which is a bit of a dumb system. A system that allegedly takes 3 years to be decent at isn't a great idea when you've only got 3-4 years per player.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
which is a bit of a dumb system. A system that allegedly takes 3 years to be decent at isn't a great idea when you've only got 3-4 years per player.
Damn, dumbass. We’re never going to be a perennial top 10 team, unless the school itself changes. When it was apples to apples for CPJ at GSU against the same level of talent, he went 14-3 in the playoffs. Think about that, you thick headed dew claw.

bravejason

Flats Noob
I wonder how things would have worked out if Cutcliffe had gotten the job instead of CPJ. :scared:
All else equal, he’d be doing no better because he’d have the same program handicaps.

My understanding is that the recent expansion of the recruiting staff andQA analyst isn’t to gain an advantage over other ACC schools. It is to catch with with what those schools already have. And by other schools, I don’t mean Clemson or FSU, I mean Duke and company.

I think that, under Cutliffe, Duke has been improving the program side and that is translating into on-field success while GT has been largely stagnant, which is why the on-field success has been sporadic the past several years. GT has become dependent on needing everything to go as planned because the margin for error has shrunk. If the staff changes are sustainable (I.e., the donations keep coming in), then we’d expect to see better players and better game plans, resulting in improved on-field success.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Damn, dumbass. We’re never going to be a perennial top 10 team, unless the school itself changes. When it was apples to apples for CPJ at GSU against the same level of talent, he went 14-3 in the playoffs. Think about that, you thick headed dew claw.
Damn, son. We're Georgia Tech, not some goddamned high school team.

I could not begin to care less how CPJ did in the minor leagues. I never said anything about being perennial top 10, only that a system that allegedly requires 3 yrs to perfect is ööööing stupid in a 4 yr system. It's funny that it doesn't seem to take this long in the service academies and it didn't take that long for Jt5 or Nesbitt or any of the 2009 gang (and the 2008 team looked sharper in their 1st year than the 2017 team did in their 4th).

Think about that, you limp-wristed öööö chop.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
My glass half full perspective says you have to start with ööööty talent in order to overachieve.

Bremstrahlung

Varsity Lurker
Actually I see our players having consistently more "want to" than our opponents. Which is why we consistently overachieve based on recruiting rankings. This is probably due to the rigor required to stay eligible at Tech. I think there is not a whole lot of difference between coaches. Some are perhaps more suited to particular programs, some grow into them. But all these guys making million$ know a whole lot about football.