"One That Got Away"

Lance Thompson was the recruiting guhru for several years at Georgia Tech until he left to take on similar responsibilities for LSU. His absense is being felt - our allowing him to leave brings up a big question mark, since he was a 100% Tech Man that played on Coach Curry's teams. And why?

Lance Thompson understood the unending, unheraleded, twelve months a year task, and was greatly appreciated by insiders to the game of football. We, as fans, all enjoyed his work on Saturday afternoons - he located winners, he encouraged their commitment to a tremendous education, he convinced student athletes from all over this State, and throughout the country, to come to Atlanta and make a difference on behalf of the Georgia Tech tradition.

That's going to take a while to replace. Our reputation as a school is not a hinderance - it's an advantage! But the AD, David Braine, let Lance Thompson get away, so we have to rebuild and re-establish relationships with high school coaches that have their own opinions about our football program. Gailey can do that, he's a good ol' Georgia boy. And his assistant coaches know how to relate to HS coaches and their athletes.

The debacle with academics last spring did not help us one bit - especially when parents of high school student athletes are reading the papers and watching the news.

"Confidence" in a sound program is what any athlete, and every parent, want to see before signing an NCAA Grant in Aid.

Jim Stephens, #11, a well disciplined and very smart Tech Man, will correct that situation. Talk about an everyday, all day job - his infusion into the academic lives of our student athletes is a must if the program plans on being successful.

So we've suffered big losses in our administrative infrastructure due to poor managerial decision making. ***Notice**** Who's fixing these screw ups? We are, in loud fashion, and the AD has to comply, because his bad decisions have caused great damage to our program and our reputation.

Chan Gailey, with a qualified leader in the Athletic Director's position, will produce "more" winning seasons at Grant Field.

Be patient, be outspoken against what fails to represent the Georgia Tech tradition, be a determined Yellow Jacket. And don't cow down to political spin from the AD's Office.

'splain something to me about your Thompson comments. He left the first time in, I think '98? and returned for one year in '01. Then he left when O'Leary did, right?

So when did our recruiting go to hell? Was it '98? But I thought O'Leary had good recruiting his last few years. At least that's what we've been told.

When Lance came back he wasn't recruiting coordinator I don't think. Wasn't that BOB? And he was only back one year. Are you suggesting Braine shouldn't have let him leave in '98? or that he should have hired him in '01 before we even had a HC or new staff? Seems to me Lance left pretty quickly and didn't hang around to see if he was offered a job. If I'm wrong about that I apologize but that's my recollection.

originally quoted by OGB
I know for a fact that our coaches are not being welcomed by many high school coaches
in this state.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Any coach worth a dang will welcome any school who presents an opportunity to one of his athletes. When I coached, I had to be cordial and open to any school (including ugag) that had any interest in one of our players--the head coach was the same way, and he would have thought it a disgrace to do otherwise.

At another school where I coached (not football this time) the head coach and his right-hand man were/are big ugag fans. However, during George Foster's (aka The GatorHumper) senior year, Larry New was welcomed at our school and had all the time and film as any other coach.

If your facts are correct, these "coaches" are classless and, as well, are probably breaking a GHSA rule.

Lance Thompson did NOT play football at Tech. He played at The Citadel.

Your arguments might be more persuasive (and the arguments were pretty good) if you'd take the time to get the facts right.

Then again, facts are optional on this forum.

Dr.B you are absolutely right. You made the correction that I was about to post before I read your post.

Listen as usual some of you guys
cannot corectly read a post or thread!

I only mention Mr. Battle as "one that
got away." I am sure that he is not
the only "one" that WE have let slip
through our fingers.

My main contention of this whole thread is
based upon what CCG's answer was to a question
that he was asked at a pre-season BBQ get-
together one year ago.

I was standing right beside him, when he was
asked........"Coach, why don't we recruit kids
at "schools" like Mary Persons (not just Mary
Persons, but other schools also)?

CCG's answer was verbatim.......they cannot
pass at GT.

Now guys and gals, I am little bit "long in the
tooth" but how can a coach who has been in the
Pro's and just taken over a college program
make this determination in so short of time?

Yep - my mistake, he did play for The Citadel. Other than that, Lance Thompson did a terrific job at Georgia Tech. Please pardon the error.

Yep - my mistake, he did play for The Citadel. Other than that, Lance Thompson did a terrific job at Georgia Tech. Please pardon the error.

And not to slam you NCJacket, but I personally
know of kids in this great state of ours
who have made in the high 1100's & 1200's
who have been "overlooked" by our current
staff. And yet they are playing for Div-1A
programs today.

Albeit, some of these schools are the service
academies but these same kids could pass and
play at GT.

And if anyone should know this it's our coach
since he was an assistant at the Air Force
Academy.

I have said this before on other posts, it's
a damn crying shame that all the hard work
that Butch Brooks did in building relations
with the high schools in the state of Georgia
have seem to gone to waste!

One other thing and I will get off my stump
I know for a fact that our coaches are not
being welcomed by many high school coaches
in this state. For one reason or another
their kids have been turned off on Georgia
Tech!!

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
Considering, we made no offer,
I don't buy into your rationalization
that the kid had "no interest" in
us.

I know for a fact that the kid was
told he was too small to play at
Div.1-A.

I guess kind of like Renso Perdoni
being told the same thing by many colleges
too.

Size is a bunch of crap in my book, it's
what's between a man's breast that counts.

I suppose that Jerry Mays was also too little
to play Div.1-A.

But getting my back to my thread, our coaching
staff has to come to the realization that there
are many kids like Tra Battle in the State of
Georgia that can make the grades and play at
this level. I think it is a crying shame
if we turn our backs on kids in this state
who have the grades and would most definitely
come to GT, if offered.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OGB: Rock Perdoni and how about Ricardo Wimbush??? Too small?? Interesting. The guy played every game almost every down at GT and contributed immensely.

Another excuse? Why is this happening!

I guess UGA feels the same way with some of the walk-ons we have had also...Thats college football...Every school looks at other schools rosters and say "Man how did we let that one slip away"

Here is to UGA,Auburn and many others saying the next 4 years "Man how did we let Reggie Ball slip away" !!!!!!

Back