Onside kick for the rest of the season

What we did learn is that we can start always going on 4th down as soon as we hit midfield, with our Defense, the 50-50 odds of going on 4th down are better than trusting our Defense to hold them if we punt and pin them deep.

Also , with offsides Penalities, DPIs, and Def holding on eligible WRs , those 50-50 odds might go as high as 55-45 in our favor meaning we should definitely go on 4th down anytime we get close to Midfield.

And please STOP punting. Why did we punt on 4th and 5? Just go for it on the other side of the 50.

/

And please STOP punting. Why did we punt on 4th and 5? Just go for it on the other side of the 50.

/
So our Defense is so bad we are going to play the same way as that Maverick HC in that Arkansas HS Private School League?

I was being a bit facetious in the initial post (may have had something to do with the alcohol), but in this particular game, where we are moving the ball pretty well, and UVA was certainly moving the ball well, I think going for it on 4th down more and onside kicking, particularly when we do it so well, may have worked out better. I think the dynamics change in coming weeks, as the remaining offenses we will face (excepting UGAg) are not as dynamic as UVA. Our defense was just overmatched against their offense.

So our Defense is so bad we are going to play the same way as that Maverick HC in that Arkansas HS Private School League?

Not every game, but it was clear pretty early we weren’t stopping them. There is no reason to punt. Whether they drive 95 or 50 they are still scoring.

if we did nothing but onsides kicks last night and went for it on fourth down (changed the play calling with that in mind) - do we win?

I believe we should commit to this against UGA. I also think there are times we need to bring enough to hit the quarterback. If that’s bring 8 then bring 8. We give up scores so easily anyway. Hit the dang quarterback.

/

Last edited:
That coach at Presbyterian is the guy from Arkansas high school football fame who doesn't punt, goes for it on 4th, and always kicks onside because he has no faith in defense. Might be onto something.

I just can't shake wondering how things would have turned out had Thomas not tripped and fell on the last one. I think he would have scored and we would have won.

We've lost 3 games by one damn play.

I just can't shake wondering how things would have turned out had Thomas not tripped and fell on the last one. I think he would have scored and we would have won.

The kicking team can't advance a recovered onside kick unless the receiving team has touched it.

Gotta hand it to Jude Kelley. Really struggled with FGs last year but is now 5 for 5 on onside kicks in his career. Too statistically unlikely to be pure luck, surely

We also beat Duke by one play.

Gotta hand it to Jude Kelley. Really struggled with FGs last year but is now 5 for 5 on onside kicks in his career. Too statistically unlikely to be pure luck, surely
Seriously. This is a weapon.

He didn't trip. He slid down as soon as he got the ball. The kicking team cannot advance an onside kick.

Back