Open Letter to the Coaches

ThisIsAtlanta

Actually Nicolas Cage
Staff member
Dear coaches,

Do any of you go to sleep each night feeling like you've earned your highly competitive paychecks for the day? That would be a shame. As our institute strives to produce alumni with integrity, who hold themselves to the very highest and most rigorous standards with regards to the products and services that they design and offer, and with how they conduct themselves professionally, we feel that our football team should reflect those core values in every way it reasonably can.

It would be embarrassing for any of you to claim, at this point, that you are honestly reaching for these standards. Your product on the field is incomplete in painfully obvious ways. Your services seem insufficient to motivate the young men who have entrusted themselves to your program for their development -- not just as players, but also as people. You talk about "fight", but we see a lot of "quit". You talk about building, but we don't see any plan to combat the disorganization and lack of focus that plagues us in every game. Surely you won't stoop to blaming the players for this behavior, and hopefully you will not insult them by continuing to praise their efforts in these regards, particularly on defense.

Each of you should assess yourself honestly at this point and consider whether you have lived up to the opportunities and rewards which you have been given. We are all eager to see your collective vision for this program come to fruition, but it will be smothered in its cradle if you continue to conduct yourselves like this. Take accountability, first for yourselves, and then for each other. Lead your men, don't make excuses.

It seems difficult to imagine that anyone would need to remind you of where you stand: at the height of your career, in shoes that hundreds of other very capable coaches are more than eager to fill. Yet it seems necessary, because it is equally difficult to believe that this is your best effort.

As fans of Georgia Tech athletics, we are highly resilient people. Many of us are alumni, having been formed under the immense pressure of our alma mater, and the rest of us are sustained in our support of this team purely by our immense passion. We have all endured hardships and shared in suffering for the betterment of this program, and we will continue to do so as long as it is required of us. We will continue to support our players through thick and thin. We will not quit on them. We know that as coaches your bonds with them run even deeper. We know you won't quit on them either, whatever it is that's gotten so messed up.

Dig deep and earn what you've got. The players and the fans are depending on you to do better than this.

Please fix this now,
Your fans.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
I don't think it's fair to say there is a lot of quit in this team. There is a lot to criticize about the on field product, but I feel that resilience and effort even when things go wrong has actually been one of the positives of this team.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Collins will be here a minimum of two more years. It's imperative that he surround himself with the best football minds possible, because what we're seeing right now won't get him years after that. We have our work cut out for us recruiting in the trenches, and I think most of us are forgiving about spots where the talent deficit is glaring, but there's no excuse for some of the incompetence and apparent lack of effort being exhibited.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I don't think it's fair to say there is a lot of quit in this team. There is a lot to criticize about the on field product, but I feel that resilience and effort even when things go wrong has actually been one of the positives of this team.
Some of the tackling attempts suggest otherwise.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
There is a difference between lack of effort and sucking. When Curry bursts through the line, has the QB dead to rights for a sack on a key third down, and barely touches him, it's the latter, not the former.
When we have half-hearted arm tackle attempts at ball carriers, and guys who let up rather than trying to run guys down, I think there's an effort issue. I'm not saying it's every play, but it's happening.

andrew

When we have half-hearted arm tackle attempts at ball carriers, and guys who let up rather than trying to run guys down, I think there's an effort issue. I'm not saying it's every play, but it's happening.
That is fair. No doubt there has been some of it, especially given the past two blowouts.

But if I'm making a list of the top five, or even the top ten, problems with this team, lack of effort/quitting doesn't crack my list.

ThisIsAtlanta

Actually Nicolas Cage
Staff member
That is fair. No doubt there has been some of it, especially given the past two blowouts.

But of I'm making a list of the top five, or even the top ten, problems with this team, lack of effort/quitting doesn't crack my list.
The letter is to the coaches only. When guys are out of position all over the field, what I see is a coach that went home for the day before he should have. Same with an obvious fake punt from the 29. Same with not having a kicking unit. There's no plan for this stuff. That's quit, plain and simple.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Most of the poor effort tackling on running plays was in the secondary. Their pursuit was not at full speed and their tackling effort weak. Need to see them playing fast, flying to the ball, and hitting somebody. Curry’s problems are from issues related to talent, technique and lack of speed. I thought the D line effort was there even though performance was not very good. Domineck was the only player who impressed me on defense today.

andrew

The letter is to the coaches only. When guys are out of position all over the field, what I see is a coach that went home for the day before he should have. Same with an obvious fake punt from the 29. Same with not having a kicking unit. There's no plan for this stuff. That's quit, plain and simple.
Got it. Misinterpreted.

savbandjacket

Critical Infrastructure
There is absolutely a lot of quit in this team. It’s all about having fun and the goofy stuff, and as soon as it’s not fun they check out. And that’s on the coaches.

ThisIsAtlanta

Actually Nicolas Cage
Staff member
Got it. Misinterpreted.
Not really, because we definitely have some players sleepwalking through some parts of the game. But I blame coaches for that, too. Just pointing out that there's more to quit than on field effort.

Vespidie

Helluva Engineer
There is a difference between lack of effort and sucking. When Curry bursts through the line, has the QB dead to rights for a sack on a key third down, and barely touches him, it's the latter, not the former.
Agreed but when a QB takes off to the right untouched, the DB whiffs on the arm tackle and the QB keeps going until he slides to end the play, then I'm not sure if that was major suckage, no effort, or both.