Our O Line has to take the game over

texstinger

Dodd-Like
from the VERY FIRST PLAY. They need to take some of the burden off the D. The whole game must be played like the last big drives against weak & twerps. They need to play more aggressive now! They need to assume MORE than their fair share of the responsibility for the wins. It is time they deny the pukes any influence on the outcome of the game. It is time they allow Reggie to throw from the pocket, to throw from the rollout, to run the option, to fake the handoff and go downfield to T.E. (remember Williams catch vs Auburn? Sorry to bring up bad memories beewuss). It is time for PJ to get so tired from gaining so many yards that we will bee forced to allow ACE & Woods at least 10 carries each. It is time for the O line to give Reggie so much time that J Smith will burn both safeties for the long TD, even when they know it is coming. It is time to punish instead of letting people hang around.

Amen tex! You are so right...It IS time for the OL to live up to it's billing and experience level. Doing so would even provide realistic expectations on Nov. 29th! THWG

Sorry to dwell on this as I have posted several times this year about O line. I beelieve the O line is the backbone of any team. I think shortcomings on defense can be alleviated by good schemes, to an extent anyway. But a good O line keeps you in every game. I feel like this years O line has way underachieved. They are not aggressive. They are not as strong as they should bee. They do not lead like they should. Combine this with a disappointing offensive philosophy and this is what we get. I know the guys try hard but that is not cutting it. The O line coach does not belong here. Chan hired him, DB hired Chan, and clough hired DB. Of the four I would like CG to stay and the others go.

Texstinger, I can see your side of the argument in replacing the offensive line coach, but how would getting rid of Clough and Braine help the offensive line?

Father Time

Chan's made some pretty aggressive personnel moves. Might he shake up this staff?

I'm disappointed in the OLs play, too, but am still not sure it's the coach's fault. There needs to be drastic improvement there though.

Looks like a LOS game with a slow field. How slow will depend on just how much water and how much of a pasture the Dukes allow the field to become.

IMO, we won't be able to simply run the ball 60 times and completely control the game. Duke has improved. We will have to mix it up but I believe we can.

I pray the players understand this will be a big challenge and will require 60 minutes of effort.
Duke plays tough defensively. A low scoring game will keep them within range of an upset.

I do not want to dwell on what it would be like to be the ACC team that loses to them.

Ahsoisee, well I do not think it would hurt (remember clough did not let DB hire who he wanted) and we will never know until we try. clough is the ultimate person responsible and it was clough who threw 11 of our S/A's in front of the train. But the point, of course, is I think the O line is the main reason for our record. And I think it is a disappointing record considering the kids have given effort.

Would agree. We have had a lot of good surprises this year. While the D-line did not play well yesterday, they have truly been outstanding all year lone. Did not expect that. Where the D-line has been a good surprise this year, the o-line has been a major disappointment other than one really great drive against W F. Concerned with their effort. Don't know if that is the case but it does seem like they have underachieved this year.

Overall I'd agree with you about the OL. But I don't think you can say that about Saturday's game. The OL DID dominate the line of scrimmage. We had no trouble running the ball, in fact we had very little trouble doing anything we wanted to on offense except for the mistakes our skill position guys made. So don't include the Duke game when talking about when the OL has come up short.

Did not see game only heard. But does sound like we did a better job yesterday on the O-line. Hope that trend continues. Maybe we gave up on the run to early?

Originally posted by texstinger:
Chan hired him, DB hired Chan, and clough hired DB. Of the four I would like CG to stay and the others go.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just thought I would interject that only the Board of Regents has the authority to fire Clough. Anybody on this board have enough clout with the BOR to make something like that happen? It's a mute point... just isn't going to happen... regardless of all the posting to the contrary. Can you imagine the state of education in Georgia if all the college/university presidents were chosen based strictly on their attitude about football and coaches?

Not trying to argue with you... merely attempting to point out the 'futility' of you venting your frustration over issues that probably no single person on this board has any control over.

BuzzB

BuzzBomb, you are correct of course. I just get very frustrated when it seems as I am the only one who thinks clough has any responsibility. I would never want the Prez fired coz of a sports' team record. I do hold him responsible for the screw job our S/A's got, and I hold him responsible for not letting DB do his job.

NCJ, glad to hear the O line did better than maybe the score would indicate. However I hope GT fans will totally stop feeling good about our team if we have a good game against any team from NC, VA. or MD. We should, every year, beat the hell out of those teams. What have any of them ever won in the last 50, no 20, years? The Gator Bowl? The Peach Bowl? I expect more. This school is in ATLANTA GEORGIA. Beating those teams means nothing to the majority of people here. To bee where we deserve means to beat clemson, fsu, ugag and that is the way it is, and will always bee.

Originally posted by texstinger:
BuzzBomb, you are correct of course. I just get very frustrated when it seems as I am the only one who thinks clough has any responsibility.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Text:

You are indeed correct - Clough has 'total' responsibility. The buck stops at his desk! I seriously doubt that he micromanages the athletic dept but he totally controls it by the nature of the person that he hired for the AD position. Absolutely no argument from me on that issue, i.e., your point is well made.

BuzzB

Back