Out gained, TOP.

Buzzfalcon

Zod-Like
3rd down conversation was the killer, but we need Sims wheels IMO.

(Full disclosure: pretty hammered)

Yes. Very conservative playing calling there. Are Clemson's DB's that good? What was up with the running plays when 5 min left in the game?

That doesn't mean he has a cannon, which he doesn't. I like the guy but he is not a game changer.
He clearly doesn’t have a cannon, but he definitely changed today’s game. We’re nowhere close with any one of our other QBs playing today.

One of the announcers hit the nail on the head for why I like Yates: he doesn't ever seem to hurt the team. Dude just finds the best move he can on every play, whatever it is, and doesn't freak out. With a team still trying to get in sync, that sort of steady hand is a foundation. Guys who have confidence in their leader fight better - proven fact.

One day the OL will step up and become that foundation and a QB with game altering physical abilities can shine, but I think it's a damn good thing we have Yates on the roster right now. His contribution can not be understated.

Full disclosure: I'm a moron.

One of the announcers hit the nail on the head for why I like Yates: he doesn't ever seem to hurt the team. Dude just finds the best move he can on every play, whatever it is, and doesn't freak out. With a team still trying to get in sync, that sort of steady hand is a foundation. Guys who have confidence in their leader fight better - proven fact.

One day the OL will step up and become that foundation and a QB with game altering physical abilities can shine, but I think it's a damn good thing we have Yates on the roster right now. His contribution can not be understated.

Full disclosure: I'm a moron.
Yates given anytime will be able to pick apart plenty of defenses but unfortunately he's had a ton of crappy oline play against him even against KSU our oline struggled at times in pasd and run blocking. NOW tonight was hopefully a step in right direction for them they were basically mediocre tonight but against that Defense most look bad...they had some moments

I agree that Yates doesn't hurt the team (turnovers), but he doesn't have a strong arm and he lobs too many throws off balance. He is accurate, throws a catchable ball, and is the consummate gamer. We need to ride him until Sims makes a case to take the job back by becoming a better game manager.

A few of the qb pressures/sacks were from Yates goofing up the RPO. He pulled and then didn’t throw. We continue to struggle with RPO regardless of the qb playing

If our defense plays anywhere near the way it did last night, Yates is the right guy at QB. It’s frustrating to watch him take sacks and throw the ball away, but IMO the Jeff Sims we saw in 2020 or against NIU would have turned the ball over 4+ times on the way to a blowout loss.

FWIW, in games where we are able to establish the run, Yates’ style of no-negative-play offense will work very well for us, IMO.

Perhaps Yates doesn't really have an arm. Passes looked like floaters most of the time.
That's because of his height, but people keep claiming his height poses no disadvantage. He's a baller no doubt and we're lucky to have him but my stance still remains. If Jeff can get it together inside the helmet, he and GT both have higher ceiling with him in the game. You cant give up on him yet. For instance, the little screen pass in the flat that we floated on 3rd and 4 or 5, Jordan had to float it because he cant zip that over the line. Jeff can. If that ball gets there quick, Nate has time to turn it up and get the 1st down. We still have to give Jeff a chance to see what he can do. Im all for Yates starting until he struggles, but when he does, Sims needs to get his shot.

If our defense plays anywhere near the way it did last night, Yates is the right guy at QB. It’s frustrating to watch him take sacks and throw the ball away, but IMO the Jeff Sims we saw in 2020 or against NIU would have turned the ball over 4+ times on the way to a blowout loss.

FWIW, in games where we are able to establish the run, Yates’ style of no-negative-play offense will work very well for us, IMO.
I love that he has the presence of mind to take care of the football. Also love that he stays cool under fore.

Yates played well but I disagree. He bailed too early sometimes and retreated when he should step up. He called for the snap once without half the offense set. It's like some people just want Jeff to fail and only focus on his negative.

Back