P. Harvin III

gte490v

Dodd-Like
what a game.

Blew up a punt that was muffed because the receiver hasn’t ever seen a punt like that. He was one of the first players to celebrate near the end zone.

Stopped the ball on the 5 yard line in a clutch 4th quarter position. Coverage was a technicality to down the ball by the sideline.

I’m digging this kid.

PH3 was definitely a weapon tonight -those punts were tremendous.

This is why it was hard for me to criticize CPJ in this first part of the season. He was clearly trying to get the ball om the hands of our best player, but somehow we have been doing great after adjusting our strategy to use him as a decoy and avoid him altogether in some games. Just goes to show that football is a team game.

Can we punt on kickoffs? Seriously.
No, but you can drop kick it. (A drop kick is the same as a punt except you kick the ball after it hits the ground rather than before.) However, even if you could punt (or drop kick as well as you punt), you wouldn't want to. You kick off from the 35. A 45 yd punt lands at the 20. You'd have to punt 65 yds every time to get the ball to land on the goal line, which is considered a mediocre kickoff. Harvin's career long is 62 yards.

No, but you can drop kick it. (A drop kick is the same as a punt except you kick the ball after it hits the ground rather than before.) However, even if you could punt (or drop kick as well as you punt), you wouldn't want to. You kick off from the 35. A 45 yd punt lands at the 20. You'd have to punt 65 yds every time to get the ball to land on the goal line, which is considered a mediocre kickoff. Harvin's career long is 62 yards.

But isn't the hangtime much longer for punts? A kick to the goalline is considered mediocre but a punt to the goal line seems like it could be exceptional.

However, even if you could punt (or drop kick as well as you punt), you wouldn't want to. You kick off from the 35. A 45 yd punt lands at the 20. You'd have to punt 65 yds every time to get the ball to land on the goal line, which is considered a mediocre kickoff. Harvin's career long is 62 yards.
Punters are also around 15 yards behind the line when they receive the snap and 10 or so yards behind when they kick it. I would say that Harvin regularly kicks with 55 plus yards of carry, but punting net is from the line of scrimmage and not the contact point.

Punters are also around 15 yards behind the line when they receive the snap and 10 or so yards behind when they kick it. I would say that Harvin regularly kicks with 55 plus yards of carry, but punting net is from the line of scrimmage and not the contact point.
That is a good point. It would still be a push, it seems like.

Though query whether a drop kick free kick would make for a more dangerous on-side kick situation. I wonder if there are some HS coaches out there experimenting with that.

Back