Pass Rush

this-time-its-for-reals-archangel-michael.gif

The secondary was awesome and has been for most of the year, albeit against some meh quarterbacks until tonight. Seemed like just about every sack came after Howell scanned the field for a couple seconds and couldn't find anyone. They freed up some guys occasionally, but overall I'd say they contributed a great deal to those sacks and fumbles.

But honestly all three position groups balled out on defense. Great tackling (except on that first TD) basically all game.

But honestly all three position groups balled out on defense. Great tackling (except on that first TD) basically all game.
The bizarre instances of failed tackle attempts, or strip attempts, or whatever those things are, were really getting to me into the second half and I bitched accordingly. But it seemed to tighten up at the second half progressed and the rest of the defense's play more than made up for it. This defense is flat out fun as hell to watch.

The bizarre instances of failed tackle attempts, or strip attempts, or whatever those things are, were really getting to me into the second half and I bitched accordingly. But it seemed to tighten up at the second half progressed and the rest of the defense's play more than made up for it. This defense is flat out fun as hell to watch.

I feel like sometimes with QBs in the open field, defenders throw the fundamentals out the window and focus on the big hit and/or strip. I'm sure that'll be discussed in practice, and hopefully it's just a lesson learned in an otherwise brilliant performance.

In addition to the most sacks in a long time, how many pressures were there?

D-line was outstanding.

Charlies Thomas is a stud.
IIRC, on the two plays immediately preceding the fumble by Howell, we had guys almost get to him. We were on his doorstep all night and he knew it.

I love that the defense still looked hungry to make plays even in the final seconds. A lot of teams check out at that point, and it's absolutely a coaching/cultural thing. The defense plays with the same energy Thacker coaches with.
I was hoping like hell at the end of the Clemson game that the refusal to die and the fire we were playing with in the face of almost certain defeat was not a fluke or a passing phase. It certainly doesn't seem like it was. These guys are hungry and I'm not sure they have an off switch.

I was hoping like hell at the end of the Clemson game that the refusal to die and the fire we were playing with in the face of almost certain defeat was not a fluke or a passing phase. It certainly doesn't seem like it was. These guys are hungry and I'm not sure they have an off switch.

Even at the end of the KSU game I felt like our defenders were really hyped and still making plays. I'm going to try manifesting into existence Thacker becoming our own Brent Venables.

Even at the end of the KSU game I felt like our defenders were really hyped and still making plays. I'm going to try manifesting into existence Thacker becoming our own Brent Venables.
Yep. They genuinely seem to love being on the field regardless of the quarter, down, or score. They're clearly having a lot of fun out there and it's fun as hell to watch. And Thacker looks like he's at least on their level energy-wise. I don't even think he needs any of Collins' Peruvian marching powder to achieve that state, he's just charged the öööö up.

Congrats to the D and Thacker for a great game. I was very impressed with the pass rush.
Has anyone seen a list of who got the 8 sacks?

Really excited about the D line’s play, but there were a couple standouts for me:

1. Ivey is a beast. Great strength, holds the edge, and can display quickness when needed. Going to be a great one.

2 DT group. Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen such a dominant performance at this position in a GT uniform. Fun to watch. And to think we’ll be adding multiple 4* recruits in the 22 class. Unbelievable. This group is the reason we’ve been successful in the 3-3-5 the past 2 games, and allows us to get extra speed on the field. Really well done.

Back