Pastner needs to follow Johnson

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Jacketblind, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Jacketblind

Jacketblind The Unbanned

Loc:
    T-town
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Out the door.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That first year is looking like fool's gold. I think he'll get one more year, and sure, why not? We've sucked for so long now that what's sucking one more year gonna do?

3. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Hopefully the next time around we won't have to hire someone on the cheap or alleviate another school's problem.

4. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    He should get 5 years based on the total disarray of a program he inherited. That said, I did not expect regression...He needs to recruit better. That was his M.O. when we inked him. Needs to live up to it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    His best year was with Gregory’s players.

• Like Like x 5
  6. georgia_tech_swagger

georgia_tech_swagger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Team:
    GT, USCU
    So far he can't recruit at a high level. There's no excuse to not be able to recruit to GT in hoops. It doesn't look good, and I think LaBarrie was a huge loss in recruiting.

7. MACHETE

MACHETE Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    Yep...

8. southendzoneBEE

southendzoneBEE Gailey-Like

Loc:
    Watkinsville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Are we still paying Hewitt and or Gregory?

9. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Y'all crazy. Dude has the work ethic, energy, enthusiasm and knowledge to make our program successful.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  10. Jacketblind

Jacketblind The Unbanned

Loc:
    T-town
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    You're probably right, that first half was Biblical bad tho.

11. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    To think if we would've just hit a few more free throws that half, we would've tied the game. We came out flat. Easy shots were just clanking off the rim. It was as bad a half as I've seen with our skill and our luck. But credit to the players and coaches for not quitting. That comeback was almost Biblical awesome!

12. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The program wasn't great, but it's not like we were pre-Cutcliffe Duke football level bad. It doesn't really take that long to rebuild a basketball program, especially one that's not on probation and just made the NIT the year before your arrival.

13. 79tech

79tech Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    atlanta
    Team:
    ga tech
    I don't like the headline. Pastner has not come close to CPJ's record- he couldn't hold CPJ's jock strap. However, I agree that if we are paying for consultants to find CPJ replacement, then we should ask for a discount to replace Pastner at the same time. He hasn't recruited and he can't coach. CPJ knew what he was doing even if his recruiting left something to be desired. Let me give you an example. Last night he told the announcers that the keys for GT were 3 point shooting and playing defense. I only watched the first half. The key was not 3 point shooting for the offense but instead somebody creating so we could take a 3 point shot. I thought his coaching was lacking when it was announced we were hiring him. His teams and Memphis didn't play well either. And on the he deserves 5 years - ok if you are seeing improvement. Instead I'm seeing someone who screwed last year with his poor judgment and poor coaching. I am not seeing improvement,

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    A lot of these guys are being recruited in junior high. Building relationships with the coaches and facsimiles in Ga does take a while. JP is pulling players from everywhere he can and doing a really good job at it. I truly believe he will right the ship, and I hope he sticks around after he does and has a nice 30 year run full of Final Fours

15. GT65_UGA89

GT65_UGA89 Get Juiced

Loc:
    Cumming, GA
    Team:
    Ramblin' Wreck
    I saw some promise last season -and I'll reserve further judgement until conference play this season. Pro or con CJP, he's staying put until GT can finally pay off Hewitt.

16. cincyjacket

cincyjacket Dodd-Like

The last thing we need is to have 4 men's basketball head coaches on the payroll.

17. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    If someone thinks Pastner cannot coach, I really want to know your credentials.

I have none. Best I can do is relate to coaching I have done in soccer and baseball as well as basketball I have observed as a layman. I'm seeing all the signs of a well coached team with this guy. Ignore the wins and losses and recruiting. If you just focus on coaching, you see players getting better as the season goes on. You see players making free throws at a level higher than they shoot from the field. You see us being able to inbound. We dont look like the Washington Generals for multiple possessions when a team goes to a press. We usually hold teams below their season shooting percentages. (You didnt see any of that with Hewitt. I mean it was shocking how obvious the guy wasnt even trying to develop any fundamentals.)

I know recruiting is important. It might be 90% of college basketball for all i know. Slam him for not recruiting better, sure. Im right there.

But if you think he cant coach, help me see it. Provide your credentials (they are almost surely better than mine) and explain exactly what you are seeing that I'm not. I want to see what you are seeing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    His teams here haven't seemed particularly poorly coached. His teams at Memphis absolutely did.

19. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    And yet coaches are able to improve programs in under five years all over the country, even when they're taking jobs across the country from their previous stop. He needs to show signs that he can actually recruit here very soon.

20. BuzzLaw

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    First, he has improved our program.
    Second, he inherited an absolute dumpster.
    Third, he’s competing in the best basketball conference.

But I see improvement. We are using more players during the game, so we have more depth. We are at least on the radar of some top level players and have come up just short of getting them.

JP is an intentional, high energy enthusiastic coach. I have no doubt that he is recruiting hard and coaching hard. And that hard work will pay off.