Pastner needs to follow Johnson

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Jacketblind, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    Points taken, but IIRC the program was in dire straights at the end of the Hewitt debacle. Fan interest was tepid at best, recruiting was less than stellar, and the outgoing coach was sitting on a payday that directly effected everything related to the program that we're still trying to recover from the a$$ screwing that the brainless one signed off on and Hewitt accepted as he gave the unequivocal middle finger to GT.

GT didn't have the resources, a real home court, and did not want to spend anything more that would have put the program further into the red. Options were limited and Gregory was available. As you stated, he didn't put us on probation nor did he leave the cupboard completely empty when he was replaced. He did the best job he possibly could with the resources he had to work with. He eventually increased interest in GT basketball again with an NIT bid and couple of wins to boot, but he was in over his head without being able to recruit in the best college basketball conference in the country.

I hope to heck that CJP is able to bring the thriller back to McCamish like it used to be in the hey day of GT basketball.

2. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Oh yeah, dust off your jam box. Thriller is coming baby!!!!! Jackets gonna tear the roof off!!!

3. georgia_tech_swagger

georgia_tech_swagger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Team:
    GT, USCU
    Count me in on the "no extensions, ride out that contract until it cost nothing to fire him" bandwagon. Better than Gregory, but not good enough.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Alpharetta
    Team:
    Tech
    Unfortunately things aren’t going to get better unless he can land a couple of these higher end recruits. We are not a good program right now. We’re coming up on a freakin’ decade without an NCAA appearance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    We were picked to not win a single ACC game in his first season. We finished 2nd in the NIT. He deserves more time. If he is gone before 5 years I will be disappointed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He needs to recruit better to earn a 5th year. We're missing on all of our top targets right now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. eg1

eg1 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Ontario
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'll have what you're having ... :drink1:

8. VolJacket

VolJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech-Tennessee
    Coach Pastner should be given more time to try to turn things around. I think he's done a good job with the talent he has to work with.

9. The Gus

The Gus Banned (Temporary) Ban Hammer'd

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Maybe Collins can recruit some basketball players as well. Pastner needs the help!

• Like Like x 1
  10. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I have no expertise... just a long time fan. But I really like Pastner's demeanor on and off the court. His pressers are actually informative. He seems to have a really deep well of basketball knowledge. All his little in-game goals (like three consecutive stops) make a lot of sense to me. He seems like a really down to earth guy. The other day I parked next to him when we both attended the same event at McCamish, and he parked way out in the boonies instead of whatever reserved space he has. He drives a very modest car. Just seems like a good guy.

I say all this to say... when you like the coach, when he's giving you confidence, when he's classy off-the-court, etc.... you have a tendency to want to give him the benefit of the doubt, to give him extra time.

We all thought he was a great recruiter and so we're all surprised that our classes have been so spare. But I like the guy. I'm not impatient yet. In basketball getting just one big recruit can totally transform everything. Let's give him more time to do that.

11. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    As you say, all this is great stuff, but if we don’t get the jimmys and the joes it won’t matter.

He should’ve landed some studs by now. His best success so far is a hardship transfer. We are lucky to have Banks for sure.

12. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    Year 3 of "major rebuild". No worries bruh.

13. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    How much more time does he need to land some better players? 2 years? 3? I don’t know the answer so I’m asking. He’s calling card when he was hired was recruiting and it’s been underwhelming thus far.

14. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    This year and next.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is my feeling as well. If he can reel in an impressive class headed into year 5 (because it doesn't look like we're getting one for next year), then give him a chance to put something together with those guys. Otherwise, he's going to need to prove he can win with the talent he has now, which isn't looking all that promising.

16. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Not that this is an excuse, but it sure would help if we all did our part and helped fill the seats.

Hard to know what goes on behind the scenes in college basketball. They have recordings of big program coaches talking about paying players. Yet those coaches are still coaching. If we are doing everything on the up and up, then it’s always gonna be an uphill battle. That part of college athletics is ruining the game, and the ncaa is being an active participant as far as I’m concerned.

As for the job he’s doing, I know he is working his ass off, and our players are too. We played selfishly tonight, some players more than others. But it’s hard for me to criticize individuals when I know the time and effort they put into it. And it’s hard to give the coach hell when, like previous posts have said, he’s a knowledgeable, hard working, nice and humble guy. I still believe we are going in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Buzzing72

Buzzing72 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Missouri
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    I’m sorry but CJP is terrible. Who has he recruited to this point that’s worth a damn? NOBODY! He won his first year with CBG players and has done squat since then. We have a Georgia Southern type quality class coming in next year. What an accomplishment. How can a school in the ACC in a major basketball rich city pull ZERO of the the top local recruits? I’m sorry but the guy is garbage. Now we see why Memphis was so happy to see him go. Sickening.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MACHETE

MACHETE Flats Noob

Loc:
    Tijuana
    Team:
    Jackets
    CBG actually recruited higher rated players by year 3 of his tenure. CJP will be gone by year 5 if he doesn’t win and recruit a couple of 5 stars. Isn’t this what he was known for??

19. GT98

GT98 Helluva Engineer

Loc:
    parts unknown
    I’d like to hear more about why you think that the program is headed in the right direction. While Pastner seems like a likable guy, what is it that makes you think better things are on the horizon? Recruiting seems underwhelming at this point (which was one of the pluses about him coming in). As for Xs and Os, he seems solid on that front, but you’re not going to X and O to a lot of wins in the ACC against superior talent.

I’d like to believe better days ahead, but I’m starting to think that Pastner won’t be building that.

20. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

Grambling, Wright State, Gardner-Webb. Games like this keep happening. You know, the actual games. What the F are so many people talking about energy and enthusiasm when they’re losing the actual games to these teams? Give me a guy without a pulse who recruits and wins games over enthusiasm and energy.

• Like Like x 1