Pastner needs to follow Johnson

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Jacketblind, Nov 28, 2018.

1. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Why do we keep extending contracts for coaches that have no other offers?

2. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I mean really?!?!!? You go to the ESPN website - and they have this DUKE "Earn Everything" video going 24-7. "Earn Everything"! REALLY??? As soon as Duke is eliminated in March - half their team (freshmen) go pro. That is REALLY EARNING EVERYTHING!

There are 355 Division 1 Teams. There are 5 teams (not schools) that make ESPN $$$ when they are on TV (Duke, UNC, Mich. St., Kentucky and Kansas) the other 350 are all money losers for every single regular season game - in which there are thousands. Duke vs. Alpharetta High School makes money - people (read: idiots) will watch. Say, 13th ranked Virginia Tech played Texas Tech (11th ranked) - it would not make $$$.

Every button you push at ESPN Men's Basketball - leads to Duke and Coack K(*cksucker). Honestly - he makes $10 million a year. What a sh*t show of biblical proportions!

So beyond pathetic on so many levels. If Tech had an enzyme of self worth , they would end the Men's Basketball program - citing how f*cking disgustingly corrupt and broken it all is. Durrrrrrr.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. eg1

eg1 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Ontario
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I share your disgust with the current state of NCAA basketball, and all things dook.

I do not share your conclusion that GT should fold up its tent.

4. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It’s a pretty big challenge coming into a woeful program in the ACC and competing with Duke, UNC and, until recently, Louisville. He has the knowledge and the energy. I’m willing to give him more time to get the relationships necessary to land the players. We have made the short list of many players. And I’m hoping we start landing some of them. But he has built depth

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    UAB folded tent in football and then in two years won a bowl game - just sayin'... Tech basketball should fold tent - there would be an outrage leading to massive donations and a quality rebuild or no one would care and there would be no basketball program. It is a "win-win" situation. Right now the situation has sucked for 15 years and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. wesleyd21

wesleyd21 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    GT
    We should have hired Mark Price for dirt cheap when Hewitt left with the understanding he’d be given a long leash but with very little pay due to the circumstances....and throw in performance bonuses.

M-Bob was truly worthless. He extended Brian Gregory right before firing him. Truly worthless f-tard

• Like Like x 2
  7. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    We haven’t hired a coach that anyone else wanted since Hewitt. Literally our last 2 coaches were damn close to being run out of town at their previous stop. We need to quit extending this coach and get our balance sheet clean for Men’s BB. Then go hire a desirable coach that is coming off a successful NCAAT run at a mid major and has the JUICE.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GTKlaus

GTKlaus Fritz

Loc:
    Chattanooga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The mystery to me is, from watching a few games now (I was at the UGA game), is why is the offense so stagnant. In his first year, I remember the excellent movement on offense was - one of the reasons I praised Pastner at the time. Now, the first 5-8 seconds on nearly every possession is Alvarado bouncing the ball and all 5 players standing still. This gives the defense a great chance to get set and to rest. Then Tech starts some movement (many times minimal) and by the time the shot clock winds down and they have to shoot, the defense is all set, rested, and guarding tight. I saw very few high quality open shots in the entire game.

Pastner keeps saying he wonders why the players aren't shooting better. Imho, it's because - in general - they aren't getting good shots against teams that play good defense (oh, btw, that is pretty much ALL teams in the ACC...). With the possible exception of Banks, Tech really doesn't have a player that can take it to other ACC caliber players one-on-one. They need an offensive scheme that can free players up for good shots. They had it in that first year. My question is - was that offensive scheme a by-product of the previous coach, or are these players too young to expect they can run it?

Tech had 7 points damn-near halfway through the first half. The energy was completely sucked out of the building (unless you were an UGA fan,,,), and Tech could barely even get a shot, let alone a good one.

Bottom line: excellent defensive team, but they need an offensive scheme based on movement and back screens to get shooters good shots. They even come out of a timeout and just nothing - seemingly no set plays to get Alvacado, Alston, Heywood, or Devoe a good shot. All of hem can shoot! I just don't get it. Banks isn't the outside shooter Lammers was, but they should still have some good set plays with him coming up high on the post, and screens for shooters. If the opponent guards the 3, you cut to the basket for layups. Has Pastner forgotten those plays?

Not trying to be critical here ... just trying to understand the big difference in offensive movement in year-1 and year-3.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GTKlaus

GTKlaus Fritz

Loc:
    Chattanooga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech

10. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    He’s moving players around a lot trying to get the right mix. I believe we will be much better by the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1