Pastner's Radio Show

18in32

Petard Hoister
Once upon a time, a decade or more ago, I looked forward to both football and basketball coaches' radio shows. But as coaches gave in to more and more canned answers, more coach-speak, and less genuine engagement with fans' questions, comments & complaints, the shows just stopped being very interesting. And I admit that with waning performance on the field/court, I had less reason to care about the little morsels of team knowledge you could glean from the shows.

But last night, by complete happenstance, I heard about 5 minutes of Pastner's show on the radio and was actually very impressed. A man called in to ask a few questions, one of which was why do the passes to Rodney at the top of the key look so weak? What's going on there?

Pastner gave a very informative and detailed response. Basically he acknowledged that was a problem and that our entry passes weren't good right now. He explained a lot of the coaching concepts they use to teach that part of the offense. For example, that elbow player has to engage in a 'foot fight' (rather than a 'fist fight') for position, so that he has both hands free to take the ball, rather than using one arm to gain position against the defender behind him. Pastner also talked about what kinds of outs or options the players have when the entry pass isn't there or when the defender isn't where expected, etc.

I wasn't able to listen to more, but I came away very impressed with the genuine engagement Pastner was willing to have with fans, and with the quality teacher he is. No wonder players show consistent improvement in the program. (Now someone needs to ask him why he's struggling with recruiting.)

Bottom line – yet another reason to like Pastner on a personal level, and hope he can succeed here. This is a crucial year for him to show that he can turn the freshman into contributors quickly, and keep up the momentum we developed last year.

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
Collins killed the football ones. He'd only do like 5 minutes of conversation with Demetra then have a rotating assistant coach sit in for the rest.

Glad to hear the basketball one is still decent, I'll check it out. I also appreciate Pastner's fan engagement.

GT65_UGA89

Posting at a high level
Remember the days of the Sunday morning coaches shows on TV with game highlights and analysis? I remember Pepper, Curry, Ross, and O’Leary. I suppose Gailey did a show too, just don’t recall watching too many. I do not recall Johnson doing them, or over the last 10-15 years any other coaches for that matter. Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn shows were typically available locally as well.

Also, Cremins did weekly shows as well.

Last edited:

ricejacket

Flats Noob
Remember the days of the Sunday morning coaches shows on TV with game highlights and analysis? I remember Pepper, Curry, Ross, and O’Leary. I suppose Gailey did a show too, just don’t recall watching too many. I do not recall Johnson doing them, or over the last 10-15 years any other coaches for that matter. Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn shows were typically available locally as well.

I remember Ross crying and apologizing to fans about the way the team was playing on one of his shows.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Once upon a time, a decade or more ago, I looked forward to both football and basketball coaches' radio shows. But as coaches gave in to more and more canned answers, more coach-speak, and less genuine engagement with fans' questions, comments & complaints, the shows just stopped being very interesting. And I admit that with waning performance on the field/court, I had less reason to care about the little morsels of team knowledge you could glean from the shows.

But last night, by complete happenstance, I heard about 5 minutes of Pastner's show on the radio and was actually very impressed. A man called in to ask a few questions, one of which was why do the passes to Rodney at the top of the key look so weak? What's going on there?

Pastner gave a very informative and detailed response. Basically he acknowledged that was a problem and that our entry passes weren't good right now. He explained a lot of the coaching concepts they use to teach that part of the offense. For example, that elbow player has to engage in a 'foot fight' (rather than a 'fist fight') for position, so that he has both hands free to take the ball, rather than using one arm to gain position against the defender behind him. Pastner also talked about what kinds of outs or options the players have when the entry pass isn't there or when the defender isn't where expected, etc.

I wasn't able to listen to more, but I came away very impressed with the genuine engagement Pastner was willing to have with fans, and with the quality teacher he is. No wonder players show consistent improvement in the program. (Now someone needs to ask him why he's struggling with recruiting.)

Bottom line – yet another reason to like Pastner on a personal level, and hope he can succeed here. This is a crucial year for him to show that he can turn the freshman into contributors quickly, and keep up the momentum we developed last year.
Can someone call in next week and ask him why he doesn't mix it up with a pick and roll. And why he doesn't use screens to free up our gifted 3-pt shooters. And why he calls it the Princeton offense but doesn't actually have any good motion around the perimeter to wear out defenders.

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member

Johnson did the Monday night shows. I went to a few.

00Burdell

Dodd-Like
Pastner is an actual X's and O's coach so he's comfortable with those questions.

Even though Johnson was also an X's and O's coach, he would not entertain anyone who questioned his play calling.

Collins? Never mind.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Collins is a joke. A marketing/branding spokesperson that is scared to talk to the media, fans and donors.

CPJ show was good when we were good. He was a great story teller, and a smart ass.

Pastner giving detail was also the product of a good question. If callers just call in and bitch, they get canned messages. Call in and ask a detailed coaching question and a good coach will give you a good answer

RussianOffense

Tabbed as one of the elite posters of Stingtalk
Yep. They'd show a play and the coach would talk about it. Sort of like some devoted fans do now. Nothing like that anymore