Paul Johnson ??

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
You gotta weigh that against the risk of getting injured. The injury insurance is way way less than the guaranteed signing bonus. Two years of ball at Clemson vs. two years of ball at Jets is probably a similar level of injury risk, but the monetary rewards are vastly different.

Any QB that's projected to go in the top 5 is a fool to stay in school, and I'm as big a proponent of staying in school as you'll find. But we're talking millions and millions of dollars differential.
That's my thought as well. I know nothing of being a player, but I can't imagine saying no to millions to play for free for another year. College is nothing more than a ticket to a potentially better life, so if you're able to get Mahomes money, then at least do it for the rest of us that wish we could, right.

If he does stay another year, that gives the Falcons another chance to learn to tank correctly. Ditch the Cosmopolitans and draft Trevor. That's not going to happen, but one can dream. Actually, as far as Falcons go, I should probably find a better dream to begin with.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
You gotta weigh that against the risk of getting injured. The injury insurance is way way less than the guaranteed signing bonus. Two years of ball at Clemson vs. two years of ball at Jets is probably a similar level of injury risk, but the monetary rewards are vastly different.

Any QB that's projected to go in the top 5 is a fool to stay in school, and I'm as big a proponent of staying in school as you'll find. But we're talking millions and millions of dollars differential.
The big money is after the rookie deal. I don't think Sam Darnold will ever get that - especially if it's true that they are hoping to draft Sunshine. No Jets QB will IMO, because you just cannot succeed there. Especially with their current coach and GM. Lots of guys wind up in the wrong place - some get that fixed and have terrific careers (hello, Steve Young and Drew Brees); others live the rest of their lives wondering what might have been (hello, David Carr).

Meanwhile, Tua just last year had as bad of an injury as you can have, and he still got drafted early, he is on a team appears to be on the upswing where he has a chance to succeed, and while it's still early, he looks be on track so far for that second big money contract.

Anyway, no one says he actually has to come back to Clemson. He just needs to scare the hell out of the Jets that he will. Ultimately, John Elway did not choose MLB, but the threat got him out of Baltimore. Eli Manning did not have to sit out a year, but the threat got him traded out of San Diego. It is a MUCH bigger loss for the Jets to spend an overall number one pick on someone who never signs than it is for Lawrence to sit out a year and enter the draft again the next year - even if he spends that entire year on the beach and doesn't play college football at all. Faced with an ultimatum, the Jets would be advised to trade the pick, or take someone else like Justin Fields.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I wouldn't say Mullen is a mediocre coach. He turned Mississippi State into a winner, and has Florida in the CFP picture in year 3.
Mullen is most definitely not a mediocre coach, but he is probably a better OC than HC overall.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
The big money is after the rookie deal. I don't think Sam Darnold will ever get that - especially if it's true that they are hoping to draft Sunshine. No Jets QB will IMO, because you just cannot succeed there. Especially with their current coach and GM. Lots of guys wind up in the wrong place - some get that fixed and have terrific careers (hello, Steve Young and Drew Brees); others live the rest of their lives wondering what might have been (hello, David Carr).

Meanwhile, Tua just last year had as bad of an injury as you can have, and he still got drafted early, he is on a team appears to be on the upswing where he has a chance to succeed, and while it's still early, he looks be on track so far for that second big money contract.

Anyway, no one says he actually has to come back to Clemson. He just needs to scare the hell out of the Jets that he will. Ultimately, John Elway did not choose MLB, but the threat got him out of Baltimore. Eli Manning did not have to sit out a year, but the threat got him traded out of San Diego. It is a MUCH bigger loss for the Jets to spend an overall number one pick on someone who never signs than it is for Lawrence to sit out a year and enter the draft again the next year - even if he spends that entire year on the beach and doesn't play college football at all. Faced with an ultimatum, the Jets would be advised to trade the pick, or take someone else like Justin Fields.
The Jets should trade down every round and flip their roster like the Browns did. A great QB isn’t fixing that mess.

EagleSting

Damn Good Rat
The Jets should trade down every round and flip their roster like the Browns did. A great QB isn’t fixing that mess.
No, but you could have a much easier time building a team around him. That is, if he's still alive after they remove him from the earth's crust after getting sacked for upteenth time.

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
Anyone but Gase. If I was Sunshine, I'd come back to Clemson for my senior year just to avoid getting saddled with that loser.

I'm really not sure why Harbaugh failed at UMich. He did well at Stanford and even took the Niners to a SB. Seems like he can coach.

Maybe he didn't evolve to the pass happy nature of college football nowadays.

Or maybe the problem is . . . Michigan?
he had Andrew Luck at Stanford.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
No, but you could have a much easier time building a team around him. That is, if he's still alive after they remove him from the earth's crust after getting sacked for upteenth time.
You could also have a much easier time MARKETING a team around him. At least for a year or two, until you've ruined him.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
he had Andrew Luck at Stanford.
He did. And Harbaugh's record at Stanford was not good his first two years, until Luck started playing. But maybe we should excuse the first two years as maybe he was trying to make the second greatest transition in the history of college football since the invention of the wheel. :)

Meanwhile, he had to win in SF with Colin Kaepernik.

And he did not just stroll off the street into the Stanford gig. He took University of San Diego to consecutive 11-1 seasons before Stanford snatched him up. Yeah, yeah, that's a crappy little program with crappy competition, but they never hit 11-1 before or since.

I still say he can coach. Or at least, he used to could.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
If I’m Trevor I simply tell the Jets I’m not playing for them. Pull an Elway and be prepared to sit out and train during 2021. I definitely would not return to Clemson other than to complete the degree program. The player has ALL the leverage in today’s climate. And Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Manning so he can dictate his path. If he did this the Jets would simply trade down a few spots and get a haul of picks from a team like ATL.

BeeStorm

The Dark Side of the Force
If I’m Trevor I simply tell the Jets I’m not playing for them. Pull an Elway and be prepared to sit out and train during 2021. I definitely would not return to Clemson other than to complete the degree program. The player has ALL the leverage in today’s climate. And Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Manning so he can dictate his path. If he did this the Jets would simply trade down a few spots and get a haul of picks from a team like ATL.
He should do the same thing to Atlanta though.

TB understudy for 2 years. Be best QB ever.