per AJC: significant announcement for GT football

F

fljacket

You clearly do not understand how this game is played. Until your team has fully analyzed every weakness of the NCAA report and decided on the best avenue for appeal, you play it a bit conciliatory while still insisting on your version of the facts. The lawyers (and thank god the idiot Randy Nordin who got us into this mess, in part, is no longer involved) will dissect the thing into little tiny pieces and decide how to proceed. Every thing you say at the press conference could be used by the NCAA to shoot down your appeal, so you don't say too much until you know what approach to take to the appeal.
The issue seems to be that we had relied on a lawyer who wasn't experienced with NCAA investigation, who then took the typical obstructionary lawyer approach to investigations, and the NCAA got pissed about it and stretched themselves to put us on probation. Do I have that right?

My guess is DRad is regretting not going with experienced outside counsel instead, but he probably thought it was unnecessary for freaking $312 of clothes from a relative.

ramblinzach

Flats Noob
What is there to be gained by not appealing? What do we have to lose by appealing?
Answer those two questions and the direction is towards appeal.
The question is "Will what gained from a successful appeal outweigh the cost it takes for us to appeal?"

Don't count that $100K, it's gone, IMO. Completely unnegotiable.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
Pretty much how i see it.
I guess I would also add a key portion of the report:

Later, in a group setting, which included student-athlete 2, the director of athletics, the head football coach, a senior associate director of athletics and the compliance director, student-athlete 2 was questioned by the compliance director about the information he (the compliance director) had received from the enforcement staff about student-athlete 2's possible involvement in agent activity. This meeting occurred despite explicit instructions from the enforcement staff not to discuss the information with anyone except the president and the director of athletics. As a result, the institution failed to protect the integrity of the investigation and to fully cooperate.
Clearly there is evidence that meeting was more than trying to figure out the young man's schedule. No can really prove what was said at this meeting, so i don't suppose it matters. The meeting itself appears to be a major violation, as it was listed in section B (findings of violations), not section C (Minor violations) of the report.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The question is "Will what gained from a successful appeal outweigh the cost it takes for us to appeal?"

Don't count that $100K, it's gone, IMO. Completely unnegotiable.
I think the legal costs are worth not being on probation and not having to pull our ACCC banners down.
Hell, we had alumni spring to fire Gailey, we can get some dough for the "öööö YOU NCAA" fund.

Stick

Flats Noob
I'm guessing

The issue seems to be that we had relied on a lawyer who wasn't experienced with NCAA investigation, who then took the typical obstructionary lawyer approach to investigations, and the NCAA got pissed about it and stretched themselves to put us on probation. Do I have that right?

My guess is DRad is regretting not going with experienced outside counsel instead, but he probably thought it was unnecessary for freaking $312 of clothes from a relative.
Radakovich might also be regretting opening his big, fat mouth.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like

The last time we were hauled before the NCAA we used an inexperienced lawyer as well, if I recall correctly.

At some point you can't keep blaiming the people you hire.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
The last time we were hauled before the NCAA we used an inexperienced lawyer as well, if I recall correctly.

At some point you can't keep blaiming the people you hire.
I don't think it's the lawyer's fault that we aren't a football factory that the NCAA needs to protect.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
If you honestly think GT is accepting the sanctions, you are as stupid as Dede. Seriously. GTFO.

Gt will not only appeal, but I expect they'll manage to demand an apology from the NCAA for wasting our ööööing time.
What he said.

ramblinzach

Flats Noob
I think the legal costs are worth not being on probation and not having to pull our ACCC banners down.
Hell, we had alumni spring to fire Gailey, we can get some dough for the "öööö YOU NCAA" fund.
Probably should let the Buckeyes/Tigers/Heels know we're starting a fund.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
What is there to be gained by not appealing? What do we have to lose by appealing?
Answer those two questions and the direction is towards appeal.
I think you potentially risk a few things.

1) Turning opinions negative toward you within the NCAA. Rather not give their investigator an axe to grind by calling him out publically.
2) Dragging it out further extends the life of the story in the media (embarrassment)
3) significant cost
4) it could extend the end date of the probation, assuming the clock doesn't start until the appeal is settled

The upsides are considerable but far from assured. I would say there is much to consider.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
1) Turning opinions negative toward you within the NCAA. Rather not give their investigator an axe to grind by calling him out publically.
2) Dragging it out further extends the life of the story in the media (embarrassment)
3) significant cost
4) it could extend the end date of the probation, assuming the clock doesn't start until the appeal is settled

1.) So we shouldn't appeal because it might upset someone? That isn't a valid reason to avoid appealing
2.)You know what is worse than being dragged out in the media? Vacating an ACC title and being on probation for 4 years.
3.) Who cares. We have a bunch of big money guys that can help fight this.
4.) Not how it works.

gtnc72

Dodd-Like
Sounds like innocent mistakes all around compounded by the NCAA's dumb, f-ing rules enforced to the Nth degree. Plus the NCAA's need to target someone so the big boys don't catch too much s*** when merely slapped.

ramblinzach

Flats Noob
1.) So we shouldn't appeal because it might upset someone? That isn't a valid reason to avoid appealing
2.)You know what is worse than being dragged out in the media? Vacating an ACC title and being on probation for 4 years.
3.) Who cares. We have a bunch of big money guys that can help fight this.
4.) Not how it works.
1. It's a legitimate reason.
2. I agree on this point.
3. Perhaps you should look at our AA budget.
4. I'm too lazy to research

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
wow just read President Peterson's letter to the NCAA...mind numbingly stupid organization in desperate need of a guinea pig.

I mean in all honesty who goes to work for the NCAA?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
1. It's a legitimate reason.
2. I agree on this point.
3. Perhaps you should look at our AA budget.
4. I'm too lazy to research
1.) Why is that legitimate? Do you not appeal a conviction in court because you're afraid the judicial system will hold a grudge? The NCAA is a collection of a bunch of individuals. I doubt that Tech appealing the findings of around 10 people will make us a target,
3.) I have. But the budget isn't all the firepower we have to fight this. Hell I'll throw the AA some money to fight it. We have had donors step up and pay to fire Gailey, build a new arena, and an indoor practice facility. All which cost multiple times what this legal defense would. This is not a good point