per AJC: significant announcement for GT football

gtzulu

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED IN PROTEST OF EVIL SOFTWARE
I will never again complain about the offseason being boring.

HelluvaChemE

Helluva Engineer
Um... yea. So I've read through page 12 of the GT's response to allegations and there are some inconsistencies in Demaryius and Morgon's interview.

• DT initially stated Herbert Hilliard ("Hype") gave him the clothes, later he says Earl Thomas (cousin) gave him the clothes
  • DT initially stated that MB received clothing, later he said MB did not
  • DT says that when he got the clothes, there were three others at his cousin's house excluding DT and MB; Earl Thomas, Herbert Hilliard, and Booker
  • MB says there were two; only Earl and Herbert
  • Earl Thomas says he has not given DT clothes but they borrow clothes from each other
  • DT says he does not know why he was given the clothes other than his cousin saying it was an "early Christmas present"
To quote something my papa said to me once, "You know somebody's lying when they're all telling the same story." If we truly coached these guys' stories, we did a pisspoor job.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I am not pleased with my alma mater tonight. I am angry with the athlete(s) involved. They know the rules - accept nothing from anybody! They broke the rules and cost their team mates and school an ACC championship. Enjoy the shoes! I am not pleased the NCAA found us to be uncooperative in the investigation. DRad, the offenses were not so bad for us - just cooperate. The NCAA is a political crowd that has some schools it loves and some it doesn't. We all know that. So, cooperate. Get on their good side. Not so long ago Georgia Tech had an impeccable history with the NCAA. No longer.

I'll get rid of the 2009 championship shirt right away. We ought to have a ceremony at halftime of the Western game to say good bye to the trophy and send it back to the ACC office or to Clemson. We all talk about UNC, Auburn, UGA, USC, Oregon and the other cheaters. We may not have cheated much, but that's only a matter of degree. Accept the punishment and decide whether or not we are going to do things the right way or not. Homer Rice would not have put up with this.

Finally, I am also angry with the NCAA. Their rules are mocked by big time college football and basketball powers. Their justice is selective and penalties seldom fit the violation. As I have said before, I would just as soon do away with their rules and investigation and let players get what schools and alums think they are worth, above the table, not under. How many of you think a national champion in football has been crowned in the last 20 years that was 100% clean - no money or benefits given to a single player on the team, no rules of contact bent in recruiting, no illegal academic help given to a single player?

Bad day for Georgia Tech. Bad time for college sports. I just want the hypocrisy to end.

In closing, WRAL just gave us plenty of air time to inform that our basketball and football programs get four years of probation. Mentioned our lack of cooperation leading to the severity of the sanctions. Showed footage of the 2009 championship game and reported we are forced to vacate the title. Nice going.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I am not pleased with my alma mater tonight. I am angry with the athlete(s) involved. They know the rules - accept nothing from anybody! They broke the rules and cost their team mates and school an ACC championship. Enjoy the shoes! I am not pleased the NCAA found us to be uncooperative in the investigation. DRad, the offenses were not so bad for us - just cooperate. The NCAA is a political crowd that has some schools it loves and some it doesn't. We all know that. So, cooperate. Get on their good side. Not so long ago Georgia Tech had an impeccable history with the NCAA. No longer.

I'll get rid of the 2009 championship shirt right away. We ought to have a ceremony at halftime of the Western game to say good bye to the trophy and send it back to the ACC office or to Clemson. We all talk about UNC, Auburn, UGA, USC, Oregon and the other cheaters. We may not have cheated much, but that's only a matter of degree. Accept the punishment and decide whether or not we are going to do things the right way or not. Homer Rice would not have put up with this.

Finally, I am also angry with the NCAA. Their rules are mocked by big time college football and basketball powers. Their justice is selective and penalties seldom fit the violation. As I have said before, I would just as soon do away with their rules and investigation and let players get what schools and alums think they are worth, above the table, not under. How many of you think a national champion in football has been crowned in the last 20 years that was 100% clean - no money or benefits given to a single player on the team, no rules of contact bent in recruiting, no illegal academic help given to a single player?

Bad day for Georgia Tech. Bad time for college sports. I just want the hypocrisy to end.

In closing, WRAL just gave us plenty of air time to inform that our basketball and football programs get four years of probation. Mentioned our lack of cooperation leading to the severity of the sanctions. Showed footage of the 2009 championship game and reported we are forced to vacate the title. Nice going.
did you watch drad and peterson's press conference? someone correct me if i'm wrong but they said they were in communication with NCAA, and they were told that the players should be eligible.

you go ahead and keep being ashamed of your team. i'll take that acc championship shirt off your hands.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
The good news is that outside of Georgia, not much attention is being paid to this (or the previous infractions). We have a good enough reputation that when I told a Kentucky fan up here about it, he was suprised, and he is very attuned to college sports. I even told him about the previous infractions and when I explained how it had to do with academic progress, he laughed because he really respects us. His take was that the NCAA was pissed at OSU and the Boise investigation wasn't moving fast enough, so they went after the $312 of clothing.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Random thoughts:

Who cares what this reporter heather says/thinks? She can do us no harm compared to what we do to ourselves. Why waste time caring what any reporter thinks?

A lot of mention of AU, osu, unc, etc. It would appear our case started before theirs and their problems are potentially much, much worse. Still, I don't understand the fascination with their troubles. If ours was, in fact, before theirs then I see no reason to worry that they have not been punished yet.

If we know of opponents breaking the rules - stop bitching and turn them in.

Thankful we have DRad compared to freaking clough/braine.

As far as I know, the ncaa does not make the rules. The college prez do and tell the ncaa to enforce them. Not sure. But can not blame, say, the FBI for enforcing the law. Punishment - could be different matter.

Dems, I believe what you say about our thoughts 2 weeks ago but that is not important. Never be surprised by what the "man" does. My main concern in this regard is 4 years probation. Does it impact # of ships? Don't care about bowl games as compared to beating ugag.

ACCCG? Nice, but secondary. The only way we get to where we should and need to be is by beating ugag. The only way. Stop fooling yourselves.

Whatever I can scrap up, I will either buy more tickets or give to the Tech fund tomorrow. Whatever DRad suggests.

THWG

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I was right, 1000+ posts. Some of you guys have genuinely perplexing attitudes towards your team. Do you live life like this, doubting, damning, and justifying punishment against yourself every time someone points a finger at you? I think they make medicine to fix that.

I can't be outraged at the injustice, but the NCAA really is making themselves look even more like the useless idiotic organization they are. I hope that the days of the mega TV contract makes the NCAA obsolete and we can drop all the premises and just compete for once. I just have to shake my head and watch all this crap happen again, it's like trying to fight the tide. Hopefully we're appealing this. A skilled negotiator can make a powerful argument out of our circumstances, and I think we'd be able to keep the ACCCG that we rightfully earned anyway.

Other than that, really silly and the penalties are pretty minor. NCAA wasting everybody's time, again.

HelluvaMGTmjr

Damn Good Rat
So why are we so pissed off again? Because it was only $314? If $314 isn't a big deal, is $500? What about 1,000? Where do you draw the line? Is robbing a bank for $314 any less illegal than robbing a bank for $1,000,000?

Is our argument akin to being only a little bit pregnant?

Somebody tell me why I should be so pissed. Maybe I misunderstand what we are actually being punished for? Obstruction? Or is the uproar because the punishment doesn't fit the crime? I can get behind that, but to say we are innocent victims...I don't know...

Seems like we should be pretty pissed at DT and DM.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
So why are we so pissed off again? Because it was only $314? If $314 isn't a big deal, is $500? What about 1,000? Where do you draw the line? Is robbing a bank for $314 any less illegal than robbing a bank for $1,000,000?

Somebody tell me why I should be so pissed. Maybe I misunderstand what we are actually being punished for? Obstruction? Or is the uproar because the punishment doesn't fit the crime? I can get behind that, but to say we are innocent victims...I don't know...

I see your point, but I would consider receiving improper benefits to be more akin to going over the speed limit.

One, the players already receive benefits just for playing...scholarship, per diem etc, much like we are allowed to drive at a certain speed o the road.

Two, everyone does it. There's not a school out there where the star players aren't somehow receiving extra benefits like that, even if it's just a buddy buying them a beer at a bar. Similarly, everyone goes at least five or ten over the speed limit.

Three, yes, going 5 mph over is less illegal than going 5. You get a ticket for one, you don't for the other. Normally you wouldn't get a violation for what we did, but with the recent events NCAA is out for blood.

All that said, yes, we were in the wrong and yes, DT should have known better. I can't view this as a hit to our integrity though, because I already assumed stuff like this was going on, just like it is at every school.

If it was on the order of thousands of dollars or it was happening with regularity I would be much more upset.

beej67

new around here
Somebody tell me why I should be so pissed.
Read this:
http://www.gatech.edu/inc/hgFile.php?fname=gt_response_to_notice_of_allegations_--_03-17-11.pdf

The NCAA led Bebe in the first interview into speculating about things he didn't know, then when he didn't substantiate that speculation in his second interview they accused us of coaching his interview. Even though he said "I don't know" something like 15 times in his first interview.

That's their entire case. It's completely fabricated.

odw

Jolly Good Fellow

I part of the underlying frustration here is directed at DT and DM, though no wants to say it. We love those guys for what they've done and the way they represented the school until now. They've let us down.

Love my school, but very disappointed these days. We use to hang our hats on our guys having heart and integrity, even if we lacked a bit raw talent wise Hell after the past 12 months, I'm not sure we have either right now.

TechSBP

Dodd-Like

I really I get to depose and then cross-examine you one day. With that attitude, you'd get eaten alive.

Ironically, this is much the same attitude as our administrators had going into this.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

Because it was one or more articles of clothing given to him by his cousin. Was it an impermissable benefit when Michael Vick gave a VT player an Escalade? No, because it was his brother.

Even the NCAA knows that is permissable and understandable for a cousin to give a player something as small as a shirt. Now if his cousin bought him an Escalade, thats different.

Granted I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. If they knowingly took benefits days before the big game, then we should be mad at them IMHO.

HelluvaMGTmjr

Damn Good Rat
Well, it seems we were definitely in the wrong and I can stomach probation, buy vacating the ACC champ seems a little excessive.

How did this investigation start? Did we report the infractions ourselves? If so, then the punishment seems a little more ridiculous...we tell the NCAA we may have a problem on our own accord and then they slap us with obstructing their investigation? Is that the gist of it?

HelluvaMGTmjr

Damn Good Rat
Just read the list of clothing items...sounds more like a charity clothing drive than a grab bag of fancy clothing...a black t-shirt, a braves hat, a $45 pair of tennis shoes!? Etc.

ND_jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just read the list of clothing items...sounds more like a charity clothing drive than a grab bag of fancy clothing...a black t-shirt, a braves hat, a $45 pair of tennis shoes!? Etc.
Exactly. The NCAA has decided they're pissed Dan talked to CPJ about the investigation, so they're going to turn what even they have admitted would be a minor (perhaps even secondary) violation into a big stink. We're likely to go along with part of the big stink as long as we get to keep the ACC title. (Although the precedent being set by the NCAA here is a bit scary, so I hope that the end result is that the failure to cooperate part is set aside entirely or almost entirely.)

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
If you compare what happened here to the Cam Newton situation before the SECCG, it seems that Auburn handled it correctly, and we didn't.

They ruled him ineligible (I believe), they appealed to the NCAA, made their case and got him officially cleared by the NCAA.

We apparently blew the NCAA off, and went forward with our players assuming that we'd be able to address the issue appropriately later.

The reason we have been stripped of our ACCCG title is because we used players that had been ruled ineligible. The dollar value of this or that has nothing to do with it. The DRad communication to CPJ, or the discussions between CPJ and the players have nothing to do with it.

My two cents.

So, no matter how we can appeal and make the case that these players should not have been ruled ineligible in the first place, the fact will remain that we ignored the NCAA decision, did not follow an appropriate process, and didn't make the case before the players played the game. If the NCAA doesn't hold their line on that, then all sorts of teams will have a precedent that they can address issues later as well.

225Jacket

Helluva Engineer

GTFO with that öööö, we're not those schools and never will be, pick your ööööing head up grow some balls and realize we're going to be just fine. yeah this sucks, but quit being a pussy, you act as if we did some major infractions and cheated our way all the way to the ACCCG

HelluvaMGTmjr

Damn Good Rat
If you compare what happened here to the Cam Newton situation before the SECCG, it seems that Auburn handled it correctly, and we didn't.

They ruled him ineligible (I believe), they appealed to the NCAA, made their case and got him officially cleared by the NCAA.

We apparently blew the NCAA off, and went forward with our players assuming that we'd be able to address the issue appropriately later.

The reason we have been stripped of our ACCCG title is because we used players that had been ruled ineligible. The dollar value of this or that has nothing to do with it. The DRad communication to CPJ, or the discussions between CPJ and the players have nothing to do with it.

My two cents.

So, no matter how we can appeal and make the case that these players should not have been ruled ineligible in the first place, the fact will remain that we ignored the NCAA decision, did not follow an appropriate process, and didn't make the case before the players played the game. If the NCAA doesn't hold their line on that, then all sorts of teams will have a precedent that they can address issues later as well.
Well, when you put it like that it makes more sense.