per SID, O'L has not paid

Re: per SID, O\'L has not paid

Is it time, for we who pay for Tech to exist with our contributions and ticket purchases, to file a class action suit against O'gone?

If Tech wants it, Tech can get it. There is always the public persona that will influence any kind of decision such as this. "The powers that be" whoever they are, will move toward collection only when proper pressure is exerted upon them to do so; otherwise they operate on their agenda and time table and chances are the only collection that will take place will be that which is swept under the rug, i.e., the whole situation.
My guess would be that it is an issue of the past and until/unless it would be a profitable thing for O'L to settle (say for instance, in order for him to get another college head coaching job) it will not be happen.

$1,500,000 is still alot of money by anyone's standards. Thats roughly 60,000 tickets, or 10,000 season tickets. It's several luxury boxes. It's a big bowl paycheck. It's many, many student-athletes scholarships. It represents new, state-of-the-art equipment. It could mean better AA staff. It could mean more funding for recruiting.
Heck..It could buy a radio station you could hear after dark.

Why are so many people ready to say, "Oh well, no big deal if we never see a dime of it."?
BOO

It is real hard to believe that in such a big business as college football that our administration would just let this slide! Are they afraid of hurting someone's feelings? Afraid of negative PR?

To me, it is just silly that we do not enforce a contract. Jeez!!

They will never get any $$ from me until they get the $$ owed by O'L. I am losing enthusiasm for athletic program more every day. Mediocrity seems to be the goal these days!!

This issue needs to be addressed. It is festering, and eating away at the enthusiasm for contributing by Tech supporters. It would be different if GOL went bankrupt, or just said:"I ain't paying. Sue me." But just letting it slide is worse than fighting and losing.

Are there any legal interpretation issues here? Just wondering. A buyout is intended to keep a coach from taking another job. Obviously he did leave for another job but quickly lost it. Does that provide any legal manuevering room to invalidate the buyout? Not a lawyer, just wondering if it isn't as clear as we think. In essence, you could look at it as him just quitting. Did the buyout apply if he had just quit?

ncj, I do not know from a legal standpoint about some of your specific issues. I do know he did not just quit, he left for another HC job. Big difference.

He did leave for another job ND period. It is not GT's fault that he lost the job a few days later. Had he been up front on certain issues (resume) he may still be at ND, again not GT's fault. So he did leave for another job, he did have a buy out in his contract, he is coaching at another level. He (possibly ND) owe's Tech the $$'s we (Tech that is) should collect + any interest that would have accrued(sp) had the $$ been in a bank. O'Gone owes Tech the $$ pure and simple.

Is it possible, as one poster has suggested, both parties are waiting to see if he gets another head coaching job before payback begins?

When you have a loss, there is a predetermined time for you to accumulate the loss as a deduction on your income tax.

If it happens to be a five year period, then he could deduct $300,000 per year from his salary. That would help him more if he had a higher paying job. Just a stab in the dark. I, nor few outsiders from the administration probably know the real reason.

If I was the administration, I would probably not divulge any agreements at this time as long as the alumni with the extremely large donations did not put pressure on me to do so.

It is possible, the AD may have already had meetings with the large contributors regarding the issue, and they are willing to let the AD handle the issue without getting more adverse publicity from the negotiations.

drinking.gif

I do know that Tech would be paying off the contract to him if we had fired him before it ended.Why can't we expect the same on his end when he breaks the contract?

This is a legal matter. Some here think it's as easy as "George give us the money!" It's not that simple.

No knocking anyone that wants to bring this up on the site, but this is a legal matter.

Some are being critical at GT for this without knowing what measures GT is taking. Maybe some of you want a statement from GT on the matter, but that might not be in the best interest of either party at this time.

Just a couple of questions: If it's a simple contractual matter, why aren't you as mad at George for not paying as you are at the AA for not yet collecting? If it's a complicated contractual matter, did it ever occur to you that (1) it's in litigation? (2) both parties are operating under the court's instruction to make no comment?

I'm not a lawyer (but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night ;o)) but I know it's common practice to not discuss legal matters which are not yet settled. And if it were you instead of George, would you just write the $1.5 million check if there was a chance you wouldn't have to?

Trust me, the AA IS trying to collect this $$$, it WILL take a looooong time, and we won't know anything until it's over one way or the other. If you want to withhold your $$$ and/or tix purchases until the settlement is announced, just whom will you be penalizing? And why?

I read the replies to this topic and I sure don't want any of you people on any of my juries.

IF O'LEARY WOULD HAVE STAYED AT ND we would have gotten our money.

I contribute to the AT fund and hold season tickets.

O'leary went from on top of the coaching world to the complete bottom (even if it was his own fought) and that was BIG price to pay.

If he had it I am sure he would pay. Why not just close the book on this chapter of GT.

Back