Perspective on Coach Collins

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
How would each of you fare as a leader through the following?
  1. Inherit roster requiring rebuild and retraining for a contemporary scheme.
  2. First time to travel with the team is not to a game, but to a funeral for a beloved leader among the players.
  3. Top-ranked recruit Bryce Gowdy commits suicide.
  4. Coronavirus shuts down team activities.
  5. George Floyd's death. The impact is national, but in all these protests and debate on race, our city is in the spotlight due to MLK's legacy.
I couldn't handle all that while trying to mentor 100 young men 21 and under. If you've been tracking the news regarding the team through all this, I think we can all agree that CGC has a gift.

No doubt he is the real deal from a recruiting and culture building standpoint. I have no reason to doubt the wins will come.

No doubt he will be a great coach to these young men concerning life. The remaining question is can he coach them to be successful on the field? That will take at least two more years to determine.

Great post and perspective. I can’t imagine coming into the situation outlined above. Collins deserves credit both for how he has handled these situations, as well as putting together a staff that has handled them equally as well.

He is building things the right way, and I have confidence the on-field results will follow.

No doubt CGC appears to be doing a good job at mentoring young men. I think he'll do well.

... still lost to the Citadel, though.
This feels like I'm falling for a troll post but... do I really have to say losing to the Citadel, or any other team for that matter, was completely conceivable in the first year conversion from the triple option offense with a depleted roster? I'd say we had high FCS or low FBS level athletes by the end of PJs tenure. That's pretty much starting from scratch. Consider myself trolled.

No doubt he will be a great coach to these young men concerning life. The remaining question is can he coach them to be successful on the field? That will take at least two more years to determine.
He can coach. But more importantly he can recruit. It’s The Jimmy and The Joes more than The X’s and The O’s. It’s certainly easier to fire and hire good coordinators than sign good players.

Well, not me I am sure, but 76 years ago today Men much younger than CGC and probably all of us were responsible for deciding life & death issues of many more young men than on a football team.

And they had to bury or send to the hospital more than they had remaining alive.
The rest they had to continue to lead into hell for almost another year.

That was their game day at Omaha Beach.

Thank you Uncle Jay - 82nd Airborne - All American.

I’m concerned about in-game management, but that’s about it. He wasn’t great with the clock and didn’t know the rule about the clock restarting after the penalty against Citadel. He also said something to the effect that, to increase enthusiasm, “the first one is on me” meaning the first celebration penalty. Well, it came after a 3rd down stop and Citadel used the first down to score a TD instead of having to punt from their own territory.

He can learn, in the grand scheme that game didn’t cost a bowl or division title or anything, but that kind of stuff can’t slip through the cracks as he gets it going. Stuff like that and punting with 4 minutes left down to Pittsburgh by 10. Say what you will about Paul, but he would rather lose by 17 from his own 1-yard-line than punt and wave the white flag to lose by 10.

If you want to point me to places he did well in tough game management circumstances last year, I’ll happily change my mind, I just don’t recall it.

It seems that he has handled every other aspect of the job, both good and bad, very well so far.

Last edited:
I’m concerned about in-game management, but that’s about it. He wasn’t great with the clock and didn’t know the rule about the clock restarting after the penalty against Citadel. He also said something to the effect that, to increase enthusiasm, “the first one is on me” meaning the first celebration penalty. Well, it came after a 3rd down stop and Citadel used the first down to score a TD instead of having to punt from their own territory.

He can learn, in the grand scheme that game didn’t cost a bowl or division title or anything, but that kind of stuff can’t slip through the cracks as he gets it going. Stuff like that and punting with 4 minutes left down to Pittsburgh by 10. Say what you will about Paul, but he would rather lose by 17 from his own 1-yard-line than punt and wave the white flag to lose by 10.

If you want to point me to places he did well in tough game management circumstances last year, I’ll happily change my mind, I just don’t recall it.

It seems that he has handled every other aspect of the job, both good and bad, very well so far.
I didn’t know the rule about the clock starting after a penalty either.

That is the most correctable stuff. What the OP is talking about, you have it or you don't.

The mistakes made in those situations always stand out more than the good decisions, because we expect the latter. The key will be learning from the mistakes made.

One of the things I like is that I believe he is committed to continuing to get better everyday himself. He’s the type of person that won’t let that type of mistake happen again.

FSS is replaying the Citadel game right now if you need perspective

That is the most correctable stuff. What the OP is talking about, you have it or you don't.

Bobby Dodd was a great recruiter, a great coach, and a great representative of Tech. Of course, he couldn't get hired today, because he never graduated from college.

FSS is replaying the Citadel game right now if you need perspective

I saw that was on. I'm pulling hard for this staff and I know lots of great programs have lost games just like that. But, really. I don't think anybody should even try to make an excuse for it. Those penalties were totally unacceptable. Coach Collins is probably more upset about that game than anybody else.

Well, not me I am sure, but 76 years ago today Men much younger than CGC and probably all of us were responsible for deciding life & death issues of many more young men than on a football team.

And they had to bury or send to the hospital more than they had remaining alive.
The rest they had to continue to lead into hell for almost another year.

That was their game day at Omaha Beach.

Thank you Uncle Jay - 82nd Airborne - All American.[

My Dad landed at Omaha on D-Day and went all the way to Berlin. Wounded, but not stopped. May God Bless each of American's greatest generation. Almost all have left us.

Back