Play on the line-what I saw (long)

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
Offense-

During the first half, good blocking. AJ had plenty of time to drop back, read the defense and find his #2 receiver. I don't believe he went deeper than the #2. The play mix allowed us to move the ball and control TOP.

I did not like the deep-ball play calling especially for the first series. AJ has never shown the ability to make the throw and yesterday was no exception.

Second half, a combination of injuries and fatigue wore down the left side. AJ was no longer getting the pass protection he received in the first half. You know the rest.

I give OC a B+ on pre-game strategy and a D for second half adjustments. In the second half should have moved the pocket away from the rush, run more to the right, thrown over the middle to the tight end or a back. We did not make adjustments and FSU exploited our OL weakness and AJ's inability to make quicker reads, and move to avoid the rush. This would have been a good time to put in a more mobile quarterback.

AJ is a drop back passer; he does not run the option well. He makes his toss too early and gives away the play before the defense has committed inside.

I say this not as a criticism of AJ but of our coaching. We failed to make adjustments to prevent FSU from taking advantage of his weaknesses.

Defense-

The front line played terrific. With the exception of two or three plays in the second half (fatigue), they were all over FSU. The linebackers (especially Fox) did a great job of filling the gaps and blitzing.

I'm not sure we substituted enough in the second half.

The CBs (especially MH) did a much better job of playing tight on FSUs receivers, plenty of bumping them off their routes and disrupting their timing. This was a very good group of receivers and we playing them very well. Also great job by JM and CC. They covered the middle well and also gave sideline support to the CBs.

This allowed us to be more aggressive inside with our linebackers, stuffing the rush and rushing the passer.

I haven't seen the stats, but this was probably the worst rushing game FSU has had all year, including ND.

Best defensive game play and calling I have seen in at least three years.

Back