"Plus One" Gains Popularity

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2015896289_proposal13.html

Also, the big talking head of the BCS is an enormous douche.

"My sense is that they're going to be open to anything that will make it better, short of an NFL-style playoff, as long as they stick with their principles — maintaining the bowl system and remembering that these are college athletes."

What a douchey thing to say.

I'm all for the plus 1 or the full out playoff. More football games for me.

Sounds like he wants you to think he cares about the children and their grades, while what he really means is that he doesn't wanna share revenue with them.

I don't understand the plus one. So 1 plays 2 and 3 plays 4 and the winners play for the "real" championship? If so, that doesn't seem fair. The 3 and 4 teams have an advantage. Or is it more like a 2 round play off....1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3?

As I understand it, it's essentially just a four team playoff. Even if it is a 1234 playoff, it hardly matters at the top 4. The difference between them as far as "goodness" is usually pretty slight by the end of the season.

For some reason, I thought this thread was going to be about google... Glad to see it was actually about football.

Plus 1 is better than nothing - and as we have seen in bball playoff expansion, it could quickly lead to an 8 team playoff, which is essentially a +2.

Clearly FBS athletes must be dumber than FCS, II, III, NAIA, NCCAA, etc athletes who are somehow able to have a playoff and still complete their coursework...

Clearly FBS athletes must be dumber than FCS, II, III, NAIA, NCCAA, etc athletes who are somehow able to have a playoff and still complete their coursework...
The lower divisions don't have the HUGE $$$ entanglements that are the real driver to these decisions.

Agreed. The NCAA needs to quit their sanctimonious bullshit and cop to that being the real reason.

Once they do that, there won't even need to be Congressional investigation into the BCS, they can just declare it illegal. Right now it's a game against the clock for their current structure, and keeping up the student athlete charade buys them a lot of time.

Back