POLL: ACC Outlook

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by coit, Jan 6, 2019.

?

How many ACC wins?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2019.
  1. 10 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

4.6%
  4. 7

15.4%
  5. 6

30.8%
  6. 5

26.2%
  7. 4

15.4%
  8. 3

4.6%
  9. 2

1.5%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. georgia_tech_swagger

georgia_tech_swagger Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Team:
    GT, USCU
    I went with three wins. Virginia Tech snored all the way into and out of Atlanta with a win. Having your point guard walk out of bounds unguarded while talking to the head coach with less than 2 minutes left is particularly galling. I have no confidence in Pastner. Every month that goes by without him recruiting an elite player (allegedly his strong suit) is another nail in that coffin for me.

• Big Cry Big Cry x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Undisclosed
    Team:
    GT
    +10

3. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology
    Record stands at 3-3 after the ND victory. Next two looking tough with Duke and UNC.

4. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Pastner keeps coaching well enough that it begs the question what he could do if he ever brought decent talent into the program. Maybe someday we’ll find out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Yeah, but I’m afraid that ship has sailed. Not sure how he is going to bring this juice at this point.

6. RussianOffense

RussianOffense Flats Noob

Loc:
    Iowa City, IA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    5 or 6 mostly meaningless ACC wins

1 fluke win and 2 wins over the worst teams in the ACC so far

Real glad Pastner is modeling our program after the worst team in the ACC (Notre Dame)

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Big Cry Big Cry x 1
  7. Jacketblind

Jacketblind The Unbanned

Loc:
    T-town
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Do you grin and punch yourself in the arm after typing these post?

8. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Live look-in on @RussianOffense after completing one of his brilliantly thought out posts.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. BuzzLaw

BuzzLaw where have all the average people gone

Loc:
    The Kingfisher
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If we win it’s a fluke. If we lose it’s cause JP sucks. I think we are getting better as a team. Yesterday Haywood was off (he’ll be back on next game) and Moore came in and gave us a spark. Our players are getting better, communicating better and playing better.

I like JP’s optimism. And we have gotten better since he arrived.

• Like Like x 3
  10. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Yeah, it's almost inconceivable someone could come on here to complain about a good team performance and a conference win. CJP has only been here two seasons – it's way too early to assume he can't possibly do well and hence needs to lose every game so we can justify firing him immediately. I like him, I like the way he coaches, I like the way he interacts with the media and fans, I like all of it... except recruiting. It seems like it surely must have a lot to do with the legal situation and losing assistants. But I'm certainly willing to stick around and see.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fredge

Fredge Flats Noob

Loc:
    Savannah
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Agreed We are better since he got here

CBG won 16 ACC games his 1st 3 years. CJP has won 17 already (only played 16 in CBG 1st year)

I think the guy can coach....... but if he doesn't start recruiting soon, he never will He's running out of time..

• Like Like x 1
  12. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    I think we are stuck on an old paradigm on basketball recruiting. Recruiting now is a multi-year trust building exercise. You gotta be on the best kids when they are freshmen. That he didnt do well in year one or two doesnt guarantee he cant improve.

But we do gotta find ways to do better. Do we need to hire some retired AAU coaches as "director of player personnel"? I wouldnt mess with the coaching staff, in my opinion the staff can coach really well. We just gotta find ways to elevate the recruiting without throwing out the coaching.

13. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Plenty of coaches are having recruiting success without several years at their current jobs. Even Tom Crean has a couple 4-star players headed to UGA next year.

I like Pastner and want him to succeed, but defenses of his recruiting are flimsy at best. It's the one area where we've absolutely come up short and must improve significantly if he's going to have long-term success here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    2 of the 3 assistant coaches Tom Crean put on his staff are former GT assistants. I expect he did that for recruiting purposes, not because he was impressed with Gregory's player development.

But I generally agree with your general sentiment. We gotta do better.

15. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    In fairness to Pastner, this is the first year he has totally whiffed in recruiting. Alvarado and Devoe were nice pickups. If he landed Watson or Lawson, we would be telling a drastically different story right now. But, he didn't, so here we are.

Getting Usher helps, but the challege is once you lose momentum in recruiting, its hard to get it back

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:

I don’t think the issue is a lack of blue chippers so much as it is a lack of guys that can contribute off of the bench. There are lots of good college basketball teams that don’t have any elite players. Gonzaga, for instance.

Pastner has got to recruit the guys that can fill roles.

17. GTCrew

GTCrew Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Forsyth Co.
    Team:
    gt
    WTF? Cole is a perfect example of that. Coach does a good job of using the bench to try and neutralize teams who rely on 35-40 min from players who are more talented than us.

You can whiff one year. No biggie. You simply cant whiff two years in a row.

18. Salter21

Salter21 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Cumming
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    WTF are you talking about. Gonzaga has a guy that's gonna be a top 15 NBA pick this year. They also had the #10 pick in 2017 and the #11 pick in 2016. Not to mention they play in the WCC. Not the ACC.

• Like Like x 1
  19. coit

coit God-Like

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    If these guys are first rounders, why are the playing in the “WCC”? And we had a first rounder last year ourselves. It takes more than 1 blue chipper, just like I said. Half of our team likely wouldn’t play for any other ACC team. That has got to change.

20. Salter21

Salter21 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Cumming
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We are in complete agreement here