Sat, Sept 7 vs South Florida - 2:00 PM ET

---------------------------------
Last game: Clemson
Next game: Citadel

ESPN Pre-Season FPI Rank: 73
FPI Differential: -2.1
Win Probability: 52.7%

Last year's game was quite the debacle. After several lead changes through the first 3 quarters, the Jackets had built a 10 point cushion to open the 4th quarter. Then, a combination of long USF drives and GT turnovers flipped the script, resulting in a very disappointing loss. The Bulls are going through some changes of their own with a new offensive coordinator, but they return the dynamic Blake Barnett and their best RB and WR as well.

This is an important game early in CGC's tenure and will be a great measuring stick for the new defense.

Last edited:

I think coming off the Clemson game will actually be advantageous and we'll be sharp. The new defense will have a big day.

It's hard to predict what will happen with USF. After starting out 7-0 (including the win against us) last year, the Bulls lost their last 6 games. CGC's Temple team beat them 27-17, and they finished the season by losing to Marshall 38-20 in the Gasparilla Bowl. They seem to be a team in decline. We gave up 49 points to them last year, more than any of their other opponents except U.Mass. I don't think our defense/ST under CGC will repeat that embarrassment, but I'm not sure our offense will be in rhythm by then.

Question mark of our offense is the only thing keeping me conservative here at 0.6. If the offense shows a pulse in week 1 this will bump up to 0.7 for me.

I get the feeling that cgc's defense is complex and tough for offenses to deal with, don't know how well we will be running it early in the season, but as they say, "that's why you play the game"! People on our boards have said they are more worried about our offense than defense this year and think I probably agree with them. Some of us may be judging our defense by our recent coach, but this deal is going to be light years different from that, yes we probably don't have the players for it yet, but I think it will still be the strength of this years team, how strong nobody knows. STs will be better just because of a "big time" upgrade in coaching, including getting the right players in the right position spots etc and getting some of our best on the field. All IMO of course.

So less than 10% of you morons feel like we have a 90%+ chance to beat South Florida?

Sat, Sept 7 vs South Florida - 2:00 PM ET

Last game: Clemson
Next game: Citadel

ESPN Pre-Season FPI Rank: 73
FPI Differential: -2.1
Win Probability: 52.7%

Last year's game was quite the debacle. After several lead changes through the first 3 quarters, the Jackets had built a 10 point cushion to open the 4th quarter. Then, a combination of long USF drives and GT turnovers flipped the script, resulting in a very disappointing loss. The Bulls are going through some changes of their own with a new offensive coordinator, but they return the dynamic Blake Barnett and their best RB and WR as well.

This is an important game early in CGC's tenure and will be a great measuring stick for the new defense.
Kerwin Bell, late of Valdosta State.

btw--
Usf plays Wisconsin at home week 1.
GC played usf last yr so may know them well.

38101-me-showing-up-to-work-late-knowing-they-wont-fire-me.jpg

Back