Positives and Comments

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
what to do at QB?
There was a point in the game when I said to myself that it’s too bad we didn’t have this OC when Calvin was here. But we do not have a QB.
I think we either run the option with Oliver or keep Oliver on the field with Lucas.

Mason is fantastic. Wow!
Brown is good but made two freshman mistakes in the 4th qtr.
Davis is ok. Freshman tight end should sit.
We have no WR, so why throw the ball often.
We really should try and shorten the games this year and run.

Not sure we can tell what we have at WR - none of our QBs has done well at getting the ball to 'em yet. I'd rather see Graham out there than Lucas.

Harvin should be 1st team All American if he keeps this up. He's a damn weapon.

I like that the OC is playing to strengths. He did a great job revamping the pass game from last week to this week to get the ball out on short routes - a combination of lack of pass protection and downfield accuracy. He is adjusting to the players he’s got... quite opposite from CPJ’s system offense.
Um....did we watch the same game? We were shut out in the second half by USF, and very nearly lost the game in spite of a great game by the D. I know the players don't really fit the system, but he still had some woeful calls today. Shifting QBs in the middle of a drive is stupid. As far as saying this was the opposite from CPJs offense, in many ways, you are correct. Last years O put up 600 yards on USF, and we put up less than half of that today. I know we're in for some growing pains, so I'll just say that Thacker's unit was really strong today.

Um....did we watch the same game? We were shut out in the second half by USF, and very nearly lost the game in spite of a great game by the D. I know the players don't really fit the system, but he still had some woeful calls today. Shifting QBs in the middle of a drive is stupid. As far as saying this was the opposite from CPJs offense, in many ways, you are correct. Last years O put up 600 yards on USF, and we put up less than half of that today. I know we're in for some growing pains, so I'll just say that Thacker's unit was really strong today.

My only comment was on the improvement of the pass game from last week

The transformation on defense from this time last year is amazing. The same team that wilted in the heat in the Fourth Quarter in Tampa last season and gave up 21 points to blow the game held a team to 10 points all game including a goal line stand in the Fourth Quarter that led to the turnover that ultimately was the game winner. Tech hasn't had this good a defense since Paul Johnson's first year with all the future NFL horses they had on that roster. The secondary looks amazingly tight in coverage and the thing that floored me today is how well the interior of the defense played against the run and even bull rushing and collapsing the pocket on pass plays several times. They don't have a fire breathing edge rusher yet, but you can see how nasty that defense is going to be down the line. My main take away from the day was the incredible gap in system and ability to develop talent between the Nate Woody/Ted Roofs of the world and this new staff. Seriously, it's like night and day and it's mostly the same players just deployed differently with a different attitude and with an offseason of development.

Defense looked pretty solid overall, aside from a couple miscues. We even got to the quarterback a couple times. Secondary is going to be a strength for years to come. That's exciting.

Mason is a beast. I'd love to see us find some ways to get the ball to him in space more often.

Injuries on the OL really hurt, I hope they're not serious.

We are also not getting a lot of penalties and particularly not stupid procedure penalties like false starts and illegal substitutions. That is an indicator to me of good coaching given that we have a bunch of young players running an unfamiliar offense with all new coaches.

For those say we don’t have WRs, I do think we threw a few very catchable balls that our guys just didn’t haul in. I’m not sure what that is about.

We are also not getting a lot of penalties and particularly not stupid procedure penalties like false starts and illegal substitutions. That is an indicator to me of good coaching given that we have a bunch of young players running an unfamiliar offense with all new coaches.

True, we only had two penalties the entire game -and I still do not know what the first one was for- blocking a guy who turned to peruse the ballcarrier and semi-blindsiding him?

True, we only had two penalties the entire game -and I still do not know what the first one was for- blocking a guy who turned to peruse the ballcarrier and semi-blindsiding him?

Yeah, That one seemed a bit lame. Maybe the defender should have watched where he was going. Our blocker hit him from the front.

Shifting QBs in the middle of a drive is stupid..
Based upon what? Other than your opinion?
Because Oliver was the QB for 2 plays when we were deep in their territory in the first half and Lucas came in on 3rd down in an obvious passing situation and wound up running for a first down because they had dropped back to respect the pass more with him in there.

Similarly, the first TD came after Oliver had tried to sneak it for 1 yard from under center and Lucas came in...spread the defense and that ended up letting Mason score.

We won, so it's hard to complain about much.

I actually liked what we tried to do on offense today, we just didn't execute very well. I don't like throwing the ball for 3.6 yards per attempt. Take more shots down field. Graham's pass on the crossing route to Brown was nice. Johnson isn't aggressive enough in the passing game while Oliver showed he's an athlete and probably should stick at slot receiver.

Mason is good and it's clear he's someone we can build an offense around.

Defense played great. The only real screwup was the missed coverage on the tight end on the wheel route. Everything else was pretty tight. Good tackling and guys were in their right lanes pretty much all day.

Harvin is an All-American. I just wish we didn't have to see him so much.

We do tackle well on D. Coverage is better for the most part. We got hurt a couple of times when it wasn’t
Mason is a hoss

We won

Other than that .....

Back