Positives from Clemson

FullMetalBuzz

Posting from your mom’s house
That game hurt, but there are a few silver linings we can build on:

• 2 interceptions of possibly the best QB in the country
  • No more 10 yard cushions on receivers
  • Mason averaged 5.5 yards per carry against Clemson. He can have a good year vs the Coastal with that kind of performance.
  • No major injuries
  • Team did not quit and kept playing hard even though they were whipped
  • Got the best team on our schedule out of the way early. It only gets easier from here.
Anything else positive?

It's weird but I too took a lot of positives from a 52 to 14 beat down. I suppose the score wouldn't have been much different if we were still running the TO anyway. Last year's score was 49-21 at home so not much different.

Surprisingly, the biggest disappointment I had was Swilling getting caught by Lawrence on the INT return. C'mon man, you have to outrun a QB as a DB!

Defense was solid, but ran out of gas for obvious reasons. Clemson exploited our aggressiveness by running a lot of counter and trap plays.

This is made worse by us not giving the 10 yard cushion. Our DBs are in a tough position to make the stops at the second level.

We did not seem to be disorganized in terms of getting players on and off the field which was a big concern I had going in.

The problems looked like poor execution and simply being outmanned, particularly at the lines. Poor QB play is also a thing, but that may be line related in part. Same with play calls on O - are they junk or is it a product of lack of ability - time will tell.

The good news is that this is the most outmanned we will be all season. That is something that cannot be fixed instantly. So that leaves execution problems which can be fixed. I recall experienced Johnson teams looking like absolute crap early season and barely scraping wins against inferior teams. This team looked like crap against the most superior team anyone will likely see, so that gives me hope.

Surprisingly, the biggest disappointment I had was Swilling getting caught by Lawrence on the INT return. C'mon man, you have to outrun a QB as a DB!

I felt the same. But why didn’t he cut back into the field when Lawrence was closing in? Lawrence wouldn’t have been able to stop and reverse field. Whenever you have a big play like that and fail to make the end zone, it’s usually very hard to make it in on the ensuing short drive.

I felt the same. But why didn’t he cut back into the field when Lawrence was closing in? Lawrence wouldn’t have been able to stop and reverse field. Whenever you have a big play like that and fail to make the end zone, it’s usually very hard to make it in on the ensuing short drive.
He should have at least cut back in and dropped the shoulder to lay a hit on Lawrence that would make him regret trying to make the tackle. That would have been the only contact on Lawrence all game.

He should have at least cut back in and dropped the shoulder to lay a hit on Lawrence that would make him regret trying to make the tackle. That would have been the only contact on Lawrence all game.
Exactly. We got little to no pressure on the QB all night. Got some holding calls out of it, but Lawrence won’t have to launder his uniform after not really hitting the ground.

He's probably going to be replaying that play in his head for a long time. I think he probably just assumed he'd outrun him and was surprised when Lawrence even made the effort, much less actually cut off his angle.

Swilling had a really good game, though. Made multiple big PBUs and pretty much shut down the best WRs in the country when he was man-to-man. He's gonna be a real bright spot for us this season.

I liked the defensive scheme. It should only get better. They lack the horses up front and a dominant LB right now. Correct those two things and the D will be solid.

Wut? I would think most offenses would love to start the series inside the 5.

At least our players don't don a chain when they get a turnover. Signing your Twitter handle isn't as cheesy.

It would be even better if they were able to ride the gold bike on the field after the turnover.

Before CPJ’s tenure I believe GT would have tried to recruit Lawrence and Brice, both GA natives. I think The new staff will recruit these kind of QBs going forward. At least I hope so.

Wut? I would think most offenses would love to start the series inside the 5.
I think what he's saying is it's surprisingly often how many times a long return that doesn't score results in a non-TD in the ensuing offensive series. Something about catching the guy before he scores fires up the defense to make a stand. I'm curious to see some data on this phenomenon.

Back