Post From The Past

casbah62

Flats Noob
Welcome back Beeware... you get BO'B moved into his new digs???
wink.gif

Glad you're back... I missed your one note horn...
I thought the defense played opposite a horribly performing offense last season... where as in the past Roof's teams were playing and giving up leads that a high powered 'O' had created... The 'D'last season kept the offense in the game more often than not... It seems that I applauded the 'D' more often than in seasons past for 3rd down stands and holding the opposition to FG's instead of allowing TD's...
My thoughts on the UMD game concerning the 'D' are that after holding the game close for the entire 1st half they returned to the field in the second immediately after a Turnover on the part of the 'O'... "I'm sorry" coming from the 'O' only counts for so much... you don't let RF have the ball any more than neccesary ... He's smoked far better 'D's' than last seasons Jackets...
UGA was just a terrible performance on all levels nuf said...
I'm not one who thinks that Roof was not a good coach but I think that the statistics although similar on paper don't reflect the entirely different circumstances in which they were achieved....

Originally posted by beeware:
Although many folks on this board seem to want to love Tenuta and to disrespect Coach Roof, statistically last years defense was not better than the previous year.

In fact, if you watch the second half of the Maryland game, and the entire Wake game, and of course, the historical 51-7 thrashing that we took at ugag, it is hard to objectively see Tenuta deserving this love-fest, or Roof deserving the disrespect.

Just my opinion, and you are welcome to it.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have to agree here ... he has some work to do and we were a little up and down in this area. It was difficult because the offense had soooo many problems that D had a plate full. Would like to see what happens this season as we may have a similar scenario.

Based upon last year's results, how can anyone feel better than lukewarm about any of our coaches?

Potential yes, but proven success with our program, not yet.

Gee, that little rock is back in my shoe. It hurts, but I sort of missed it when it was gone.

By the way, welcome back BeeWare!

grin.gif

It seemed to me that our problems on the defensive game was our own lack of offense. The defense would make a stand and get the ball back, and our offense did a 3 and out and put the defense back on the field.

I think that Tenuta's defense played very well. It is just that we got our backs broken in a couple of games.

Originally posted by beeware:
Although many folks on this board seem to want to love Tenuta and to disrespect Coach Roof, statistically last years defense was not better than the previous year.

In fact, if you watch the second half of the Maryland game, and the entire Wake game, and of course, the historical 51-7 thrashing that we took at ugag, it is hard to objectively see Tenuta deserving this love-fest, or Roof deserving the disrespect.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware,

Welcome back. You do a pretty good job of tracking the stats, how about a few comparisons between 02 and 01; Mins the defense was on the field, avg yds running against & passing against, 3 down success percentage?

Aw cmon 71, you know you are baiting BeeWare. He does not like to compare statistics between the two years. Anyway, how can he win? BOB was the offensive coordinator for both years.

grin.gif

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Beeware,

Welcome back. You do a pretty good job of tracking the stats, how about a few comparisons between 02 and 01; Mins the defense was on the field, avg yds running against & passing against, 3 down success percentage?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71,

Thanks for the welcome back.

Click the link below to read a previous defensive discussion, including stats. Pay particular attention to the discussion between me and GT98 (by the way he never paid the bet
tongue.gif
).

Click here for Previous Thread on 2001 vs 2002 defense.

7-5 in 2001....7-5 in 2002....still waiting on those answers.....and waiting

I will have to say BeeWare won the battle of statistics. He was asked to provide statistics and he did. Although some of the other posters had some opposite views, they did not provide statistics to back up their view.

However, the disclaimer must be added, Beeware is only going to answer the direct questions when it is in his favor.

drinking.gif

For those of you who haven't checked out the link, here is a condensed version.

Originally posted by Beeware:

"It is easy to say that the defense was better but the stats don't seem to confirm it.

2002 versus 2001 defensive stats:

Scoring allowed per game....19.8 versus 22.2...slightly better this year.

Average rushing yardage allowed per game....130.3 versus 117.1....slightly worse this year.

Average passing yardage allowed per game....223.8 versus 216.2....slightly worse this year.

Total offense allowed per game.....354.2 versus 333.3...slightly worse this year.

GT98,
Since you asked for it:

2002 Opponent time of possession....28 min 54 sec.
2001 Opponent time of possession....28 min 31 sec.

Is 23 seconds considered a LOT?....and if not, how much do you owe me?????"

I may not always agree with Beeware, but factually he has proven to be very dependable. Now if he could only learn a few more tunes.
grin.gif

Of course stats only show so much... to reiterate... the 'D' played in a backs against the wall so often this past season that it is not fair to compare them to the team that couldn't hold a lead to save it's life...
Stats only told half the story at Enron...
tongue.gif

Some More posts from last year prior to the season. Looking at things in retrospect.

ASSESSMENT OF THREE TOP COACES PRIOR TO LAST SEASON

I am picking three of the staff personnel that impresses me the most. I am leaving Chan Gailey out of the mix, because we have already covered his bio, pro and con, for months.

The most important and most impressive to me is Jon Tenuta. He brings a ton of experience and past accomplishments to lead the Tech defense. Since defense has been our Achilles Heel, he seems to be what the doctor ordered.

Glenn Spencer gets my nod for the next most impressive staff member. Even though most of his experience was with West Georgia College, his record there is exceptional.

Patrick Nix gets my nod as the third most impressive staff member. He excelled at Auburn in the Quarterback position, and he has excellent statistics as an offensive coach in his past experiences.

He also is the son of a coach, which probably has helped him learn the little things in football that count a lot.

I will be keeping my eye on these three this year to see how they perform in their duties. It will also be interesting to see how recruiting for this next year fares under Nix.

Any takers?

This next remark was a subpost to the following question:

WHAT CONSTITUTUTES A GOOD DEFENSE?

A high percentage of three and out. A good defense is good with both the pass and run defense.

I remember a couple of years ago, we were last in the nation on pass defense, but ranked about 27 on rushing defense. Many thought we had a good defense. I thought it was terrible.

If you allow the other team to control the ball, whether it is running or passing, you have less attempts for your offense, and the team generally winds up starting our offense deep in its own territory.

Some will argue, it is points allowed. That is true on a game by game basis and you have more points, but it is meaningless if the other team controls the game and keeps the ball most of the game. They don't need to score many points, just one more than us.
Maybe some of the newer posters will bring some good points to this debate. The above post was mine to start the discussion.

Takers?

drinking.gif

wink.gif

Originally posted by casbah62:
it is not fair to compare them to the team that couldn't hold a lead to save it's life...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I realize the stats don't paint the picture that you want them to, but Roof's 2001 defense held four major opponents to one offensive TD each...including basically the same ugag team that thrashed us in 2002 by the historically embarassing score of 51-7.

To reiterate...I would take Roof over Tenuta any day of the week.

Beeware and cashba62,

My take is a bit different, other than playing for Tech; Ted did nothing at Tech to distinguish himself as a coach. He didn't prove that he couldn't coach either.... time will tell. I do think he did well at Duke this last season.

Tentuta, on the other hand didn't do much last season to warrant a pay increase and a key to Clough's private washroom. If he did a better job than Roof in 01 it's not obvious. Yes the offense was worse (let's not get into that) but the defense clearly did not rise to the task. Perhaps this season he will get the job done in such a manner that there is no doubt he is an excellent defensive coordinator.

71, this is getting rediculous, I keep agreeing with you.

Roof was ultimately responsible for Tech's defense. He did not get it done at Tech. However, I am still convinced he was hamstrung with GOL's defense.

I think it is a great opportunity for Roof at Duke to be his own man and use his own schemes. With no interference from GOL, I think Roof might turn out to be a good defensive coordinator.

He has three great attributes. He has fire within himself and seems to have the ability to pass it on to his players. He also seems to get along well with the players, and he is a good recruiter.

Tenuta's first year was a big disappointment to me. As you say, he has done well every place he has coached, so I am looking for a much improved defense this year. For me personally, he has not proved himself at Tech, but I am not sure everybody was on the same page this past year.

This should be Tenuta's year to prove his worth at Tech.

It seems to me that the stats are skewed because of two games that were anomolies (sp?). The Maryland and Ugag games were not totally the defense's problem. The offense just was not in those games. Thus, the stats get skewed.

Back