Pracitice Report for Friday Evening Aug 9.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Friday Evening Practice Report Aug. 9th

What a beautiful evening at Rose Bowl Field to watch the Jackets practice. Great to see a good number of fans in attendance! MasterB wasn’t able to make it, so I’ll do my best to give a recap. Others like “T” who were at practice should be able to help me out. “T” has a great deal of knowledge of Tanuta’s defense. ;-) For those who don’t know who “T” is, I’m sure he’ll make himself known. Glad he was in town tonight and able to check out this exciting Jacket team in action. Hope Axe will give recap as well.

I’ll try to break this down into three parts: offense, defense, and special teams. Keep in mind that I’m going to shy away from formations, injuries, and too many specifics, but want to give a feel for a great day at practice.

This is the second to last practice before full pads go Monday. Practice is tomorrow at 5:30PM with no practice in the AM. (This is, as I understand it.)

Offense:
Things were crisper today, as the team seems to be building with each practice in preparation for Vandy. Not hard to tell much work has taken place in the weight room with our linemen. Everyone comments, “Nat is even bigger!” It’s true with just about all of them. Can expect some rust to be knocked off as practice goes on. Saw fewer dropped passes tonight with routs being cleaner. Timing is already better from first practice between qbs and receivers. Fun to watch.

Can’t say enough about our veteran receivers. They are just an exciting bunch. Glove and Watkins were just fantastic play after play. There were some “WOW “s coming from the people watching on with Bilbo and Logan hooking up several times. Love how the wr are going after the ball and trying to make something happen after they catch it. Looks like a lot of guys want to contribute including the new guys. We’ll see how it pans out. The freshmen looked good today. That’s three practices I’ve seen Bridges going all out for a ball. That guy’s diving going after the ball in every practice I‘ve seen. McGuire is such a big target with some wheels. He moves fast and fluid for a big guy. We all know who the men are in practice though. ;-), but the future looks good. Nice catch by McGuire on sideline with ball thrown by Camp. Was he in? Not sure. Poree probably had something to say about that as he had great coverage waving his hands saying he was out of bounds. None the less great play on O and D.

It’s obviously not just pass and catch. ;-) Working hard on the running game as well. Don’t want to get into specifics really, but there are some backs that want to play. Great competition! We look so athletic and quick to me while also having the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Really interested in seeing this when full pads go on. The big guys blocking are such a hard working bunch to watch. Can hear popping going on even without the full pads. Can anyone get around Nat? How can that guy be that big while moving that fast? He’s obviously stronger as well.

A lot of TEs getting work. Like how they all run! All of them are such big targets. Without full pads on hard to tell much about blocking.

Will close on the offense in saying that there are a lot of weapons out there. No telling who could be stars really. So many certainly could. Really was positive to see progression from last evening’s practice to this evening‘s. Loved hearing O teammates yelling encouragement, “good job # _ _,” all evening long.

Defense:
Glad “T” was there. Can anyone figure out Tanuta’s defense? I sure can’t. ;-) In one word, aggressive. Fun to watch guys flying all over the field. When a ball was caught there was someone there to pop them. Can tell they are ready for Monday so they can bring the wood as Wes says. We have a quick bunch of D linemen. Henderson broke threw on several occasions. Could tell, like others, he was fired up! Love how guys are playing the ball. They are going after it on run and pass plays. Nice to see DBs turning when ball is in the air.
A lot of talking going on with D. By this I mean they are communicating. Some of it is our DC and LB coach because of their big booming voices. Can probably hear them at BDS from Rose Bowl Field, but the players are talking a lot as well. Seems to be a lot of players coaching on the field.

We keep hearing and reading it. Speed baby!! This D does run very well. Without saying too much our coaches seem to be working hard to utilize all that speed. We might not be as big as some teams up front, but the guys there last year are bigger and stronger. They all can really move well.

This is going to be a fun D to watch. I’m looking forward to seeing these guys take the ball away. They’re not going to sit back. They are going after the opposing O.

Special Teams:
There was an article in Daily Buzz about special teams. These guys aren’t just hanging out on there own working out. They have a routine and are working very hard. As some 11 on 11 drills were going on in front of us on one field could see the kickers working out on the other. The ball goes booming into the end zone. Some says, “who kicked that?” The ball is kicked off high and deep time and time again from a new comer, David Jordan. He’s really got a seriously strong leg and doing it consistently. Luke isn’t exactly chop liver. He’s obviously worked on his leg strength as well. Didn’t see them working on Luke’s specialty, field goals. Have no doubt with as hard as they are working Luke could be the best field goal kicker in the ACC. There is another kicker working out with them, forgive me for not looking up his name. For entire practice these guys are working hard.

There are three punters. Boom..... high and deep. Boom.....high and deep. The rest of the team is working out on both practice fields. Can see the balls flying over at Griffin Field. They move back over to Rose Bowl Field and stretch. Dyke, Moorehouse, and the walk on (again forgive me for not knowing who he is) all really getting it done in practice. When they put pressure on them, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Feel that this is a part of our GT football team that has been drastically overlooked by a lot of the media.

Worked on kickoffs. They put these green caps on helmets to signify one team because there are both D and O players working out on each team. Don’t want to comment on formations, so can’t really go into much here. They are working out the speedy track guys on kickoffs. They couldn’t hit, but the speed was evident. A lot more to it than guys standing around being told where to be. All the return guys can take it to the house: Houston, Watkins, and Davis. There might have been more, but those are the guys I noticed. The guys on kickoff coverage were the speed guys as well. Enjoy watching I Perfection run. He’s super smooth. He was one of the guys working out with coverage team today. Again, Jordan was impressive kicking the ball high and deep. Every single one kicked into the end zone. Luke did a pretty good job as well.

Want to comment on conditioning. The coaches are working hard in this area. That’s the longest session of sprints/gassers I’ve seen in the middle of a practice. Coach Gailey was in the middle of the running backs as they sprinted time and time again. He kept encouraging them to “RUN THROUGH AND FINISH.” There is plenty of water around when the guys need it.

Hope all of you in Atlanta area can get a chance to watch practice. Really is a lot of fun. Great conversation with fans while getting awesome perspective of the 2002 Yellow Jacket Football Team. Can’t tell you how excited I am about Aug. 31.

For those on StingTalk, this will also be posted on Hive. :-) Be glad to answer any questions I can.

thanks for an EXCELLENT report GTTerrific... I hope to be at practice on Monday... hopefully we can meet....

We can ALWAYS count on you GTT! Excellent job! God Bless you man!!

bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif

Back