Pracitice Report for Tuesday Evening Aug 13!

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Practice Report for Tuesday Evening Aug. 13.

Another good attendance tonight! Always glad to see. Little more hot and muggy than it’s been. Can’t say how privileged I feel to be able to so easily watch our Jackets prepare for the Vandy game and season. When walking up to practice and seeing our player’s family members from far away, it puts a big smile on my face. Mr. Gathers, Mr. Collins, Mr. and Mrs. Moorehouse, Mr. Reilly, and Mr. Wilkerson come out to watch. Blows my mind that Mr. Collins is from NJ, Mr. Gathers is from LA, and the Moorhouses are from Conn. (Do believe). Know that all parents can’t come to watch practices, but always nice to see this bunch out there. Nice to meet Wimbush’s brother and his kids who live in the Atlanta area. One of his little boys, who is three, asked his dad who won after they finished some 11 on 11 drills. He was very interested in the goings on. Maybe he’ll play football at GT some day. All these families are extremely nice people. Pleasure to be around.

Special Teams:
This team is working extremely hard in this area. Seems a good portion of practice is designated for this area with the team working on kickoffs and punting. As I’ve noted before the kickers work out the entire practice hard.

We’ve got three punters who can really boom the ball. They worked a good bit today in live game day situations. It didn’t seem to matter who was punting, but there were some extremely long kicks. Saw a number over 50 yards. Love seeing the return guy having to back pedal to make the catch.

Team worked on kickoffs and coverage again today as well. Seemed to be working on several different game day situations. It’s not every time the ball needs to be boomed deep for possible return. Just shows how detailed the preparation is.

Offense:
I’m starting to really like this offensive line more and more. The men seem to have this attitude that’s exciting to watch. In practice drills and in 11 on 11 they work so hard. This group has a good chance of being outstanding. Play after play and drill after drill they really go all out. Have seen big lines before, but these guys move very well.

The receivers are just awesome I feel. Saw a lot of great catches from everyone including the freshmen again today. Glover made what I feel was the best catch of the day, but there were a lot good ones. He jumped high for the grab and came down trying to make something happen. That ball was on a rope. Can’t recall who threw that ball now. Told him how what a great catch that was after practice. He said that’s got to get into the end zone. Meaning he’s not just happy making the awesome catch. He wants to score every time he touches the ball. Have to love the ‘tude!

Number 89, Foschi, at TE is just dominating at times. He’s blocking hard, making super catches, and making something happen. Enjoyed watching the TE in passing drills with the QBs and Coach O’B. He was making the TE run exact while they were coached to go after the balls hard. Sometimes the QBs were asked to put touch on the ball and at times with zip. Fun drills to watch. Like the way out TEs run.

Didn’t pay a lot of attention to running backs today honestly. Until it’s full contact with tackling I want to watch more of the line play. When I did notice it was because someone was breaking free through the line. Again, they can’t be tackled, so you don’t know if they would have been. Can see a good burst with Ford, Hollings, Hatch, and Clickscales though. They didn’t have a lot of balls thrown to them in 11 on 11 drills, but they had a cool drill they ran on their own with Coach Nix working on catching the ball and going up field. Drill was done with a lot of precision. Saw only one dropped ball. Coach Nix let the player know with vigor that can’t happen because of the certain game day situation they were in.

The QBs are finding more and more rhythm I think. Saw a super nice deep ball thrown by Suggs for a TD. We haven’t talked about it much, but all three QBs have good if not great arm strength. Bilbo simply has the strongest arm I’ve seen from a RF. The ball can get all over the field in a hurry from all three. When I thought at times in spring that there needed to be more touch it’s obvious this is an area they’ve worked on. Nice to see #4, Alfrod, get some reps tonight, so I just shouldn’t mention the Suggs, Bilbo, and Camp. He’s definitely a walk-on with a lot of ability. Very nice run by Bilbo AGAIN today.

Defense:
Can’t mention the D without mentioning Gathers. Watching him and Dorsey go at it in practice is really cool. Have to believe they are really making each other better. Sometimes Greg goes against Dorsey and Foschi. Goodness, he’s a battler. No matter where the ball goes he’s running it down. The “big daddy” has a lot of players that I hope will take some pressure off of him. He’s going to see double and even triple teams at times. These guys put a lot of pressure on the QBS today. Keep in mind it’s not always the same unit out there. There is a great deal of pressure causing the ball to come out quick. See a lot of quickness out of Hargrove and Henderson coming off the end. Several “touch” sacks today. Say “tough” because they’re not allowed to drill the QBS.

My favorite play today was watching the QBS pressured into making a quick throw. Very nicely done by the QBS. The receiver is making the grab and here comes D. Smith diving to knock that ball away. WOW! As we all know he’s a tremendous player. Hasn’t taking him long in practice to make a big impacted play.

When the ball is knocked in the air you can count on the D yelling and screaming to let their teammates know. Can’t remember who it was, but the D had a nice pick in that sort of situation. On another play Rhino made a nice pick.

Are we allowed to talk about fights? ;-) Nothing serious, just intense out there with a couple breaking out this evening. I think the guys are ready to hit someone other than themselves.

I’m ready to see these guys have a full scrimmage. Just not sure if it will be open. We’ll find out soon.

Again, it’s great to able to attend practice. Kickoff is right around the corner.

Thanks GTTerriffic!!!!!!!!! love reading the reports!! keep it up!

Go Jackets!!! To Hell with Ugag!!!!!!!!!

So, who was sitting out injured?

tongue.gif

Just kidding, great report!!!

And thanks for doing it too!!!

smile.gif

GTT,
Appreciate the effort on your practice reports.
One request; although pure vanilla is a very safe flavor, do you think you might could throw in some strawberry or chocolate from time to time?
wink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

Beeware. Thanks for the comment. You really can be a jerk. You know that?

Thanks for all your hard work, GTTerrific.
I appreciate both your reports and pictures!!!
bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif

I'm not going to listen to Beeware make comments like that in regards to practice reports. He can make his own practice reports. :-)

If you guys want me to do them, then deal with Beeware. He's just simply a jerk and has been.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
I'm not going to listen to Beeware make comments like that in regards to practice reports. He can make his own practice reports. :-)

If you guys want me to do them, then deal with Beeware. He's just simply a jerk and has been.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT,
Take your midol and chill. Talk about a complete overreaction....geesh.

GTT,

Thanks for your reports. Ignore Beeware for he imho was fishing and adding some levity to his post. At least he didn't trash "Buck".

bash.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Originally posted by pjjacket:
GTT,

Thanks for your reports. Ignore Beeware for he imho was fishing and adding some levity to his post. At least he didn't trash "Buck".

bash.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pj,
All I asked for was some strawberry or chocolate instead of his plain vanilla practice reports and he started calling me names. Maybe we could just get some vanilla bean specks instead, without upsetting GTT.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

GTT your are doing a great job please keep up the good work.I thank you for what your doing your a great guy!
grin.gif

Back