Practice Report 8/8

EiT

Varsity Lurker
awesome report...

are we doing two-a-days and how many days a week do we practice?

Great to hear about the intensity being kicked up a notch. I agree with you with our running back situation. I think all those guys are big time competitors and that can only be a good thing.

Thanks for the report, Axeman. Ok, I'll get specific here if you have the time. What form does TECH's pratice take? How long are they? Do they stick to a strict schedule? Is it mostly -
calesthenics, groups and drills, scrimmage, running? Is there a lot of one on one with the coaches or are they sort of "putting them through the paces"? Which coaches seem to be more animated/extroverted? Which players? Not trying to be ignorant here (I usually don't have to try TOO hard). Just curious. Thanks!

fantastic report!!!

bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif

Thanks for the report Axe!!
I have to agree with you on the RB situation. In addition, Hatch will be another weapon.
rocketlauncher.gif
He was looking so good at the end of the seasion 2 years ago. I remember watching him in the UGAg game and thinking "He's gonna be a player".

Was he out there today?

Also, the main question I wanted to ask was about the LBers, especially Smith. How was he looking? I think the key to the Defense this year is having him healthy.

Thanks again for the report.

Yeah Axe! You da man. If it weren't for you, GTTerrific and of course the practice man himself, Master B...we'd ALL be screwed!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!!

bigthumbup.gif

Yes, we are in two-a-days but I think I heard CG say that he doesn't like to have two-a-days three days in a row, so we will probably have plenty of single practice days.

I think the spring was more of a teaching time, now the coaches want the players to stop thinking and start reacting. The practices are pretty active. Today, they did some serious conditioning drills, 7-on-7, 11-on-11, and individual drills.

Brick Haley is the biggest yeller on the staff, Tenuta isn't far behind. In some ways the practices are less intense than O'Leary's and in someways they are more intense.

Hatch was certainly out there and I thought he looked pretty good. I didn't see any problems from the knee. Regarding the LBs, Smith actually was just running on the side today. He might have been nicked up a little. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think we are going to be fine at LB, lots more depth this year. Etheridge is much improved and Brown is a heck of a LB for a backup. He will play plenty. I can see the light bulb for Gerris Wilkinson might be starting to come on.

Are they in full pads?

I understand the lack of depth at WR, but Glover and Watkins -- two good ones -- are still out there?

I expect J. Smith to be All-ACC this year.

I'm glad to hear optimism about the RBs. I'm not believing anything until I see them.

I think the defense has a chance to be awesome.

Is Suggs running any option? How is Bilbo running the offense? How is Bilbo throwing and making decisions?

Thanks for the report!!!!!!

Axe,
Interesting re: Ford - I'm telling ya man, he'll be the guy this fall, you wait...That quick burst through the hole and his power is a great combo...I'm still saying he'll be the starter by game 3 if not earlier and surprise some folks along the way...

Kirbee,

Since we run so much 4 wide stuff, I'm a little concerned about the depth. Our offense requires a number of solid WRs.

The team did not work on any option today. Suggs is certainly ahead when it comes to understanding the offense. Bilbo has made strides though. He throws a really nice ball, it's just going to take some time to really understand everything that's coming at him.

Axe - that's probably a reasonable concern. We just have to hope that some of the guys that were redshirted last year or one of the new freshman can step it up till Curry can make it back.

Nice job Axe. Thanks for keeping us updated! Appreciate it!

I too am concerned about the depth at WR. Did Clinkscale get any looks at wide-out today?

Also how did the back-up offensive linemen look?

Clinkscale looks like a RB for sure. He had a very good day. To be honest that is what I took away today. Lots of RBs and lots of competition. It's going to get interesting.

I can't really evaluate the o-line. It's hard enough for a fan to do it when the pads are on. I will say that they were working the backups in a variety of positions. We still need to improve our depth situation, but I think this might be the best depth we've had since '99.

Thanks, Axe! Can't help but note that you got a lot more response here than on the Hive.

Thanks for the report Axe. I hope to get there next week for a practice. Day 1 sounds good and speaks of better things to come.

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Regarding Wide Receiver, how about walk-on Trevor Bowman? I know he has the size and athletic ability. Is he out there and how is he looking?

I got the chance to see practice this morning. Beautiful day to watch football. I started to get really excited for the Fall. Here are a few random thoughts:

1. AJ Suggs has really improved over the summer. He looked so much more comfortable out there. You can tell he has a good understanding of the offense. His throwing motion looks improved as well.

2. I think our RB situation is actually better than it's been in a while. We've got a lot of guys that can get it done. Sidney Ford was really working hard. He showed a lot of burst. Hollings looked good catching the football and continues to make nice cuts. Everyone looked healthy and ready to go. It was exciting to see. Dixon got some work at FB. I think we will see some interesting combos in the backfield this year.

3. Jonathan Smith has velcro for hands. I didn't see him drop any balls and some were very tough. He caught the deep stuff, short stuff, everything. I can't tell you how impressed I was with him.

4. There is a drop off at WR with Nate out. Bridges has a burst but he's still raw and has a lot to learn. Logan and Thomas have their moments but still plenty of work to be done. WR depth has to be a concern until Nate returns healthy.

5. I thought Reuben Houston looks more comfortable at CB. Houston got to work with the first team some. He looked a lot more comfortable out there. He has a lot of physical ability.

6. Eric Henderson, and Chriod Williams were working at DE again. I'm not sure if we will continue to flip-flop guys on the line. As of today, DTs were Johnson, Malone, Parker, Koon, Billy, Brezina, Loesch. DEs Gathers, Holiday, Hargrove, Wright, Henderson, Williams, Pullen(I think he was at DE but I didn't get to see him enough).

7. Big difference in the coaching staff compared to spring ball. Much more intense.

8. The young kids really have a lot to learn. You really see how much there is to learn when you watch the first summer practice.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.

Back