Q on Defensive Backfield

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Rushing three and dropping eight defenders should at least require excellent throws as defenders should be near the ball. Our DB's didn't seem to play very well against Pitt.
1) Is it, Pitt uses smaller, faster WR that our big bruising Safeties can't keep up with. Still you would think we could be in the same vicinity as the WR...

2) Do we play a pure zone defense when rushing three? or

3) Do we matchup with players in their defensive zone.

How does this all work as I've never seen more open players in one football game.

Rushing three and dropping eight defenders should at least require excellent throws as defenders should be near the ball. Our DB's didn't seem to play very well against Pitt.
1) Is it, Pitt uses smaller, faster WR that our big bruising Safeties can't keep up with. Still you would think we could be in the same vicinity as the WR...

2) Do we play a pure zone defense when rushing three? or

3) Do we matchup with players in their defensive zone.

How does this all work as I've never seen more open players in one football game.

It looked like we played pure zone. Several times when the Pitt qb scrambled, their WR dropped back and we didn’t flow with him. Just conceded a 10-15 yard gain and a 1st down.

We do not seem to have any DB's capable of playing tight coverage. We consistently play off the line of scrimmage and concede the short passes. Yet we still give up deep passes. Is this the new bend and break defense?

You could drop 20… if there’s no pass rush, then eventually coverage will break down. I’m not saying our secondary should avoid all criticism, but the front end and back end of a defense need to complement each other better than we did to be effective against an offense as good as Pitt’s.

You could drop 20… if there’s no pass rush, then eventually coverage will break down. I’m not saying our secondary should avoid all criticism, but the front end and back end of a defense need to complement each other better than we did to be effective against an offense as good as Pitt’s.
So why continue to rush 3 when that is not working?

We do not seem to have any DB's capable of playing tight coverage. We consistently play off the line of scrimmage and concede the short passes. Yet we still give up deep passes. Is this the new bend and break defense?
Is basically the same kind of coverage we've seen for the past decade+.

They tried

They tried 5 and 6 in spots. Nothing was working. We just couldn’t get home. It was a very bad day for the defense.
When we tried 5 and 6 we got held like crazy when we didn't get pressure and it never got called. When we rushed 3 they had 5/6 to block 3 and gave Pickett all day. It doesn't matter how many DB's you have, you can't expect guys to have to cover for 6-8 seconds.

Should've just played man under and ran stunts since the zone was totally useless

Back