Question About Braine and his background

Father WASP

Flats Noob
In all the review of resumes post O'Leary, did anyone check Braine's? I'm just curious.

Furthermore, what else does he have listed? To land a job from VA Tech to GA Tech as AD commands some pretty solid credentials.

Red flags went off for me when he lied to everyone about the McWhorter-Gailey decision. O'Leary's biggest offense was not cleaning up a 30 year old error, this guy flat out lied to Mac and the public. If Gailey were more astute he should have figured he was next.

Everything this guy does smacks of incompetence. I could almost handle that, but the man is arrogant beyond belief, with the public as well as employees from what we are hearing. Either he's one of these guys who have been lucky enough to land on his feet or he's covering something up - because the results of his management don't lead me to believe results have gotten him to where he is.

I'm sure you have heard the rumor that Braine will never push for the 1.5 mil with O'Leary because O'Leary has something on Braine. Maybe they had the same secretary type their resumes.

BOO

Don't want to get too involved in this one, but to question someone's resume because "at least one ex-Tarheel hasn't heard of him" is ridiculous. I personally don't know anything but what I read of his past, but I'll bet you there are ex-Jackets who haven't heard of plenty of guys who played for Tech. Why would they have? And I'm not sure what you are questioning about his move from VT to GT. That actually sounds like a normal progression to me. VT is a major school but not of the caliber of GT. It would be a step up for him, and would be the kind of school we would look to for a successful administrator.

Understand I'm not defending Braine or anything he's done, just don't understand the point of your post.

Originally posted by ncjacket:

Understand I'm not defending Braine or anything he's done, just don't understand the point of your post.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I understand the point of his post, and I bet you do too, ncj.

1st off Fwasp, Braine did not lie to Mac he was told right off the top that no assistants would be considered for the top job at Tech! He had players lobby for him and he was given a courtesy interview and was again told the same. So how in hades did Braine lie to Mac? He was never in the hunt for the job and had I been Braine I wouldn't have hired him either. A one game wonder does not make a coach and as he said himself he let the assistants do the job, that to me was his biggest attribute. Prior to my retirement almost, almost hades it has been 13 years now I gave many courtesy interviews as favors to other managers and then I picked the guy I wanted.

So pls get your facts straight and don't call Braine a lier on this. He maybe be a lier but not concerning Mac.

Dave Braine was a three year letterman at Carolina according to their media guide so it was a good effort Father W.

Regarding Mac, to me to publicly state no assistants will be considered and then you interview one sends a conflicting message. What was the curtesy for? So Mac could practice interviews, to say he was considered when he wasn't. I am not calling Braine a liar but to even appear like Mac was being considered opened up this door for all the Mac supporters that they will not close.

Father Wasp, at this point, I dont care if his resume is 100% accurate and that he forgot to put some great accomplishments on there- because he is gone as far as Tech is concerned. There is not one person down there who listens to him wholeheartedly. Clough needs to understand that. I know Braine understands it because he keeps trying to make ammends to everyone he has p.o'd. If Clough doesnt get it now then our Football program will be done for 4-5 years no matter who we the coach is. So the resume question is interesting, but the situation right now is worse than Bill Lewis because we had an AD that everyone trusted. Now we dont, and the coach doesnt have much support either.

Braine and Clough were both at Virginia Tech. I'm sure that that's how his name even came up.
He was offered the job and refused then Tech went back again with another offer, which he accepted.

He should know how a football team should be run - at least partially - because IIRC, he was a Tech assistant coach in the '70s under either Pepper or Fulcher.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Wrecked, it has been explained why Braine finally gave in and ceded an interview to Mac.

Mac kept insisting for an interview while the team was getting ready for the bowl game. Some of the players approached Braine to try and persuade the administration to hire Mac as head coach.

Mac was using the bowl preparation and the kids to blackmail his way into being the head coach. Braine finally agreed to give him an interview, but told him no head coach would be selected (signed) until after the bowl game.

This was to diffuse a situation that could have had morale problems with the team getting ready for the bowl game. So, Mac was granted a courtesy interview to diffuse the situation and put the matter off until after the bowl game.

That is clear to most people, why does it present a big problem? All assistants and coordinators were told upfront they would not get the job.

I think we would have lost the bowl game on a morale problem had he not been given the token interview and delayed the selection of the coach until after the game.

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So if I understand you correctly, Mac took the interview knowing he was not getting the job but to prevent the players from quitting in the Bowl game?

Wrecked, no, Mac was interviewed to keep him and the players from rebelling and having that morale problem hanging over their heads going into the bowl game.

Mac was never a serious candidate for the job, only in his eyes, some of the players, and a minority of fans on some of the boards.

There is no way he would ever have gotten the job.

smile.gif

The BIG ISSUE now is Who Do You Trust!!?? How can the Tech community, fans, parents, players, all alumni be happy with a situation that NO ONE IS BEING ACCOUNTABLE FOR and no changes on the horizon - that we know of!

Do we go forward and play these guessing games and state opinions and nothing changes?????? Do we continue to agonize over something that goes quietly into the night with no movement, change or closure?

We have issues here, we have a tough schedule, we have players gone and on the edge, we have our conference (positive side) expanding, we have egos internally, we have athletics vs. academics, we have expansion of a stadium that once was uplifting, we have no remedies and/or decisions that show movement - just comments in the paper.

Is all this not important to Georgia Tech???? President Clough has to grab hold of this situation and do what has to be done and let us know he is in charge of this institution and what HIS plans are for turning this sideshow around! The President needs to filter it down and not sit too long ... again who do we trust?????
pat.gif

Wrecked, it has been explained why Braine finally gave in and ceded an interview to Mac.

Mac kept insisting for an interview while the team was getting ready for the bowl game. Some of the players approached Braine to try and persuade the administration to hire Mac as head coach.

Mac was using the bowl preparation and the kids to blackmail his way into being the head coach. Braine finally agreed to give him an interview, but told him no head coach would be selected (signed) until after the bowl game.

This was to diffuse a situation that could have had morale problems with the team getting ready for the bowl game. So, Mac was granted a courtesy interview to diffuse the situation and put the matter off until after the bowl game.

That is clear to most people, why does it present a big problem? All assistants and coordinators were told upfront they would not get the job.

I think we would have lost the bowl game on a morale problem had he not been given the token interview and delayed the selection of the coach until after the game.

rolleyes.gif

Back