Question about North Stands

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
The lower deck is way out of symmetry due to the edge ctr....

It looks like from the drawings that the upper deck may add some balance ( if you look, there is a small section just next to the edge ctr )

The question is, whats that big gap in the lower north section , over near the edge ? Does anyone know ? That big gap adds to the asymmetry as it now looks....Is this possibly the lettermans club or something like that ?

The other question is, will the new upper north create some symmetry ?

Not complaining - I think the new stadium is AWESOME.....I wonder what the athens crowd will have to say.....

I like the fact that the remodeled look lacks symmetry. It fits the "tone" of the inner city where Tech exists and has lived for over 100 years. When you have a ton of farm land in the middle of nowhere with freedom to build and expand, symmetry makes sense. It is also why so many of the ballparks built in the 60's-70's were boooooooring. I'm mostly speaking of places like Fulton County Stadium, Riverfront Stadium in Cincy, etc. The beauty of the old inner city ballparks like Fenway and Wrigley is the fact they couldn't move out so they had to improvise and utilize the space they had available. Now, places like Atlanta and Houston have built ballparks which are attempting to give an a-symmetrical "feel" to them. I realize this is FB and not baseball. I just think the Tech stadium will be unique. In fact, so unique that people will walk away saying WOW! It will NOT be your cookie-cutter football stadium that we see on road games so often. I like us being unique. As far as the Mutts go, who cares? They are going to bash its size mostly. In truth though, they'll walk out saying to themselves "hey, I like what you've done with the place." Again, the non-symmetrical look and feel fits the inner city environment where Tech exists. I like it! If I wanted a symmetrical "feel" we can go to any of the other stadiums in the South (and nation for that matter). Btw, I do think the Wardlaw Center was probably the dumbest decision architecturally we ever made. I like what's housed in it, but why it needed to be that large I have no idea. I do however feel the sounds reverberate off of it (as well as the Edge) and make BDS@HGF even louder.

I completely agree --I'm just curious as to where this upper north section (next to edge) will go...Over the top of that part of the edge ? As it looks now there seems to be little space for that small section of upper north..

Plus am wondering what that big gap represents.

As far as the asymmetry, I agree - I think it adds some character as opposed to the sterile feel that a lot of stadiums have....

Plus, It'll give the dawgs something to talk about after losing to us in November

OIARB !!!!!!

I do think the letterman's seating and the upper deck will fill in the gaps you're talking about.

Other than that, I'm completely agreed on the asymmetry of BDS being a GOOD thing.

J.T. makes a great point about how asymmetry fits into the surroundings much better.

I think the lack of symmetry will be one thing that helps the stadium look far bigger than its actual capacity, especially when looking at it from the East side. There is no clear sightline to follow when looking around the stadium. That makes it harder to take in everything with one sweeping view, and will make it seem more expansive.

Other things that will help the stadium's impression of size are the tall buildings filling up the South endzone and the Northeast corner, and the fact that we'll have glassed-in skyboxes on all four sides -- at different heights on each side.

Of course the fact that it's so close to the field and closed-in will make it very loud for its size, as well.

The gold seats in the East, and hopefully in the Letterman's club, will make the stadium as a whole seem more gold-filled.

So far I like it a lot more than I thought I would, and I thought I'd like it a lot!
bigthumbup.gif

If I understand your question correctly, the gap to which you refer is where the Letterman's Club will be. It will be glassed in. Here's a rendering of how it will look from the inside:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/galleries/geot-dodd-gallery01/schem-pers05.jpg

And, the dark square on this rendering shows it from the field:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/galleries/geot-dodd-gallery01/schem-pers01.jpg

The second image also shows that the upper north will overlap the Edge somewhat, adding some symmetry.

I understand the expensive Letterman's Club was a source of considerable controversy in the early stages of the planning, and came close to derailing the project.

I've noticed ex-players get lots of perks at GT. Stumbled upon a family reunion either a player or staff member was having in the Moore Success Center while there last Saturday taking photos. One lady got rather defensive. I threw up my hands and said, "Hey, I've got no problem with it. In fact I'm glad to see it's available for such functions. I might ask to have my next family reunion here." (hehe)

But, mentioning these perks to recruits as one walks them through the Letterman's Club, and maybe invites them to view a game from there, can't hurt recruiting.

Personally, I'd have redesignated the ballroom in the Moore SSC the Letterman's Club, so we could have moore seats, but nobody asked me ;-)

Guess engineers are naturally symmetrical thinkers. If they had to have a Letterman's Club taking up seats, I'd have centered it on the field.

Don't get me started on the Wardlaw and the Edge Buildings. Have to take two aspirin with my iced tea every time I think about the Wardlaw not being designed with stands all the way up on the field side, and the Edge edging out into future stadium space.
wink.gif

But, the time to worry about such things is long past. Now is the time to celebrate what we have. And no matter how much teams make fun of our little, old stadium; they're not going to enjoy playing there if we can ever start filling 3/4 of it with OUR fans.

Goldtimer - you ROCK ! Thanks for that.

I agree - I think taking good care of the lettemen is a great idea....for too many reasons to state here....In fact, long overdue IMO.

I would bet that somehow this club will connect into the edge ctr (?) based on where it is ?
Maybe thats why its not centered ?

Anyway, many thanks for all the stuff you post for us, its GREATLY appreciated !

That probably is why the Letterman's Club will be off-centered toward the Edge, Gold Rush -- to have a short path to/from the Edge. Makes sense. Hadn't thought of that. Imagine CG being able to walk a recruit (or recruits) down the hall in the Edge and into a glassed-in suite looking over the field? Snazzzzzy! Not to mention certain GTAA officials can sneak back to their offices to spike their drinks with the bottle in the bottom drawer
wink.gif

Your welcome, BTW. It's a labor of love.

What happened to the score board for the North Stands? Will there be one for the new north stands? I would have preferred symmetrical North stands. They should have torn out that little wing that juts out from the Edge Center and put concrete supports there to make the north end symmetric. They could have built back that wing later under the new stands. Agree with Goldtimer on the Lettermen Club deal.

What kind of scoreboard will end up in the north is a matter of speculation at this point (for those of us not on the "inside").

Doubt the GTAA will go to too much expensive to provide any temporary scoreboard this year.

After the UN is built, I'd think a scoreboard over it would give most neck pains. I'm guessing there will be a 3-4 ft. high scoreboard showing the clock, the score, possession, and maybe a one liner showing results of the last play. Don't know if there will be room for it between the two decks, so it might have to be at the back of the upper deck.

A review of the Architectural sketches at rr.com might answer this question.

I think what we're doing with the stadium is great. I also agree with JT about the lack of symmetry being a good thing. No matter how big or how symmetric it is, the key is to fill it up with our fans.

For instance, take a school like MD. They won't bring more than 4K fans. If we filled up the rest of the stadium with our fans, that'd be 51K Tech fans. 51K Tech fans in a stadium that close to the field is gonna make one helluva racket.

It's gonna be loud.

VERY informative thread guys. Thanks especially Goldtimer for ALL the work you CONTINUE to do. You're almost like a project representative for us out of towners!

I beelieve the crucial point is as you say Bugboy...FILL UP THE SEATS WITH GT FANS!!! Now is the time for all good Jacketfans to come to the defense of their boys!!! We HAVE to have students/alumni/fans in those seats wearing white and gold or we'll have to endure ENDLESS ribbing from our SEC friends!!
pat.gif

Our players and our coaches deserve SO much more!!

Hey GT J.T., you should be in sells. Your arguments in favor of Bobby Dodd Stadium's asymetric "look" are great! You could make a one-legged prostitute with AIDS sound sexy! If Tech had any sense, they would hire you (name your price) to run promotions and marketing. You are smooooooooth.
BOO

Back